The Student Room Group

Scottish Vet Med Applicants???

Heyyy,

There's definitely alot of talk about A levels/GCSEs/AS levels on these vet med forums and discussions but living in Scotland I have no idea what these mean.:s-smilie:
So to all the applicants in Scotland (people elsewhere can join in too as well, I'm not trying to exclude!) here are a few questions :h:
Are people just applying to the University of Glasgow & Edinburgh? Will some people apply to universities in England although tuition isn't free?
I obviously know veterinary medicine is HIGHLY competitive but I haven't actually talked to anyone in Scotland thinking of doing it (I know, weird, am I just bumping into EVERYONE but vet med applicants?) so I'd be really grateful if a few questions were answered? Just so I don't feel alone :tongue:

Thanksss:h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You need 5 highers at first sitting and Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry (Grades BB minimum) to apply to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

English vet schools on the other hand usually want 3 advanced highers - Bio, Chem and 1 other (Grades AAA-AAB)
I would highly recommend applying to English unis too, you don't have to accept the offer if you don't want to, but you'll always have this backup option if Edinburgh and Glasgow reject you.

As for work experience aim for Liverpool's minimum just to be on the safe side. (4 weeks vet + 6 other)

SAAS will cover your tuition fees so I wouldn't worry about that.
You only pay it back after you graduate and get a job. :smile:
Thank you, thats really helpful! So if I was to apply to English unis I would only pay after getting a job? :smile:
Original post by eilidhhhh
Thank you, thats really helpful! So if I was to apply to English unis I would only pay after getting a job? :smile:

Yeah, it's the same as repaying your student loan, you only pay back when you earn more than £18k-19k (Can't remember now) per year.
Reply 4
Heyyy,

There's definitely alot of talk about A levels/GCSEs/AS levels on these vet med forums and discussions but living in Scotland I have no idea what these mean.:s-smilie:
So to all the applicants in Scotland (people elsewhere can join in too as well, I'm not trying to exclude!) here are a few questions :h:
Are people just applying to the University of Glasgow & Edinburgh? Will some people apply to universities in England although tuition isn't free?
I obviously know veterinary medicine is HIGHLY competitive but I haven't actually talked to anyone in Scotland thinking of doing it (I know, weird, am I just bumping into EVERYONE but vet med applicants?) so I'd be really grateful if a few questions were answered? Just so I don't feel alone :tongue:

Thanksss:h:

Just thought I'd chime in by saying I 100% recommend applying to English vet schools for the interview experience if nothing else, of course no one is guaranteed an interview but you can hardly have too many invites- remember though, you only need one offer 😉
I've applied for 2016 entry and am awaiting exam results so feel free to PM me with any Q's

Edit: also if you miss the higher grades for Glasgow or Edi, you may still have the option of applying to English universities although the AHs would be higher. However for some English Unis you may only need AH: AA, this depends on your highers however
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Treen98
Just thought I'd chime in by saying I 100% recommend applying to English vet schools for the interview experience if nothing else, of course no one is guaranteed an interview but you can hardly have too many invites- remember though, you only need one offer 😉
I've applied for 2016 entry and am awaiting exam results so feel free to PM me with any Q's

Edit: also if you miss the higher grades for Glasgow or Edi, you may still have the option of applying to English universities although the AHs would be higher. However for some English Unis you may only need AH: AA, this depends on your highers however

Thank you so much !!! Good luck for the 9th!!!What universities did you apply to? Also, how much work experience do you have? I'm looking at other people's work experience list and mine is microscopic compared to theirs! I've done about 3 weeks at different small vet practices, I've spent 1/2 day lambing, 1 day at sheep farm, 3 days at dairy farm, 1 day at abattoir, 1 day at parasitology lab, 1/2 day at zoo & going to do a couple of days at kennels: I'm finding it really difficult to find WE and stressing out !!!! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much !!! Good luck for the 9th!!!What universities did you apply to? Also, how much work experience do you have? I'm looking at other people's work experience list and mine is microscopic compared to theirs! I've done about 3 weeks at different small vet practices, I've spent 1/2 day lambing, 1 day at sheep farm, 3 days at dairy farm, 1 day at abattoir, 1 day at parasitology lab, 1/2 day at zoo & going to do a couple of days at kennels: I'm finding it really difficult to find WE and stressing out !!!! Thanks again :smile:

No worries :biggrin: thanks! I applied to Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham and also Surrey but I got a rejection from the latter, w/o interview. At time of applying I believe I had 24 weeks WEX but much of this was from long term dairy and boarding kennels work.
The amount you have will be fine I'm sure for Glasgow and Edinburgh and a few others but for Liverpool you'll need 10 weeks (6 of husbandry and 4 of vets). I'd recommend getting more either way as a lot of other applicants will aim for this 10 week mark and competition is high. In my sixth year I went to vets twice a week during triple free periods, idk if this is an option for you but something to consider?
You do however have a lot of variety and this will work in your favour more than a 5 week placement doing one thing; universities generally prize quality over quantity so you've done well on that front, no need to stress yet- the summer isn't over, and you have until late Sept. or so :smile:
How are you feeling about your higher results? If you want I can give you the dates I got interview invites and other things from last year's cycle to give you an idea of a time frame? but it's not too important because interviews can span months and can seem to be sent fairly randomly..
Original post by Treen98
No worries :biggrin: thanks! I applied to Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham and also Surrey but I got a rejection from the latter, w/o interview. At time of applying I believe I had 24 weeks WEX but much of this was from long term dairy and boarding kennels work.
The amount you have will be fine I'm sure for Glasgow and Edinburgh and a few others but for Liverpool you'll need 10 weeks (6 of husbandry and 4 of vets). I'd recommend getting more either way as a lot of other applicants will aim for this 10 week mark and competition is high. In my sixth year I went to vets twice a week during triple free periods, idk if this is an option for you but something to consider?
You do however have a lot of variety and this will work in your favour more than a 5 week placement doing one thing; universities generally prize quality over quantity so you've done well on that front, no need to stress yet- the summer isn't over, and you have until late Sept. or so :smile:
How are you feeling about your higher results? If you want I can give you the dates I got interview invites and other things from last year's cycle to give you an idea of a time frame? but it's not too important because interviews can span months and can seem to be sent fairly randomly..

Well done for getting interviews for Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham but!!! Okay, cool thank you! I'll try and do as much WEX up until the 15th October haha! I'm actually feeling okay for the results apart from chemistry - I'm just going to have to do alot of praying to the SQA gods the night before we get our results :tongue: Do you think you'll be able to get your conditions? If you could give me the dates that'd be so brilliant? Thank youu, you've been super helpful !!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 8
Well done for getting interviews for Glasgow, Liverpool and Nottingham but!!! Okay, cool thank you! I'll try and do as much WEX up until the 15th October haha! I'm actually feeling okay for the results apart from chemistry - I'm just going to have to do alot of praying to the SQA gods the night before we get our results :tongue: Do you think you'll be able to get your conditions? If you could give me the dates that'd be so brilliant? Thank youu, you've been super helpful !!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My conditions this year will honestly be a total hit or a miss :s-smilie: so got my fingers crossed for next Tuesday! Don't stress of you don't get that A in chemistry, I didn't and it has actually made me apply to other universities that I'm more interested in.
As to dates:
Liverpool- interview invite 20/11/25; interview 30/11/15; offer 22/12/15 (email)
Glasgow- invite 16/11/15; interview 15/12/15; offer 10/03/15 (UCAS)
Notts- invite 07/12/15 (postal); interview 03/02/16; offer 01/03/16 (phone)
Surrey- rejection 01/02/16
The dates will vary a little year to year and depending on what batch you're in but these were mine anyway :smile: and remember invites are sent out until March time and even later. For more information you can always check out the 2016 thread
Edit- I'm guessing you're applying to Edi and I don't know the dates but I know the had their first interviews the same week as Glasgow (see above)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Treen98
My conditions this year will honestly be a total hit or a miss :s-smilie: so got my fingers crossed for next Tuesday! Don't stress of you don't get that A in chemistry, I didn't and it has actually made me apply to other universities that I'm more interested in.
As to dates:
Liverpool- interview invite 20/11/25; interview 30/11/15; offer 22/12/15 (email)
Glasgow- invite 16/11/15; interview 15/12/15; offer 10/03/15 (UCAS)
Notts- invite 07/12/15 (postal); interview 03/02/16; offer 01/03/16 (phone)
Surrey- rejection 01/02/16
The dates will vary a little year to year and depending on what batch you're in but these were mine anyway :smile: and remember invites are sent out until March time and even later. For more information you can always check out the 2016 thread
Edit- I'm guessing you're applying to Edi and I don't know the dates but I know the had their first interviews the same week as Glasgow (see above)

Hiya, did you meet your conditions???? :smile:
I got 5 As at higher!!!!! Im v happy at that!!! :biggrin::biggrin:But do you know if unis count what you got in S4? Last year I got 6 As at Nat5, a B at Nat 5 and a B at Higher, is that okay?
Good luck in any case!!!!:h:
Hiya, did you meet your conditions???? :smile:
I got 5 As at higher!!!!! Im v happy at that!!! :biggrin::biggrin:But do you know if unis count what you got in S4? Last year I got 6 As at Nat5, a B at Nat 5 and a B at Higher, is that okay?
Good luck in any case!!!!:h:

Congratulations! Yeah I met the offer thanks 😊. Your fourth year ones will be looked at but the higher won't be counted as they've got to be at one sitting- the 5As are fab though and this will be where the focus lies for achieved grades and then your predicted ones. What s6 subjects are you doing?
Anyway I'll be off to Glasgow next month :biggrin: so feel free to message me for anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉 nthank you! Im going to do advanced bio, chemistry, maths and also nat 5 physics so it'll be quite a hard year but should be interesting! Well done again!!!!!!!
Well done!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉 nthank you! Im going to do advanced bio, chemistry, maths and also nat 5 physics so it'll be quite a hard year but should be interesting! Well done again!!!!!!!

I did the same AHs and found them all great, especially maths. Have you decided where you're applying yet?
Original post by Treen98
I did the same AHs and found them all great, especially maths. Have you decided where you're applying yet?

Glasgow, Edinburgh, RCV, and I can't decide between Bristol or Nottingham :s-smilie: what was nottingham's interview style like? :h:
Glasgow, Edinburgh, RCV, and I can't decide between Bristol or Nottingham :s-smilie: what was nottingham's interview style like? :h:

Notts had a hard interview but I felt it was by far the fairest one. Their was a formal interview with two interviewers, a practical part with animal matter and a group interview- completing a task with other applicants. And a decent selection of cakes and goodies 😛
The main factor for me about Notts was their teaching style. Whilst it was great for some, it just didn't suit me and that's a massive factor for you to consider when choosing between universities.
I think I would've applied for RVC too but the BMAT out me off- at least you don't have to stress about that this year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
Notts had a hard interview but I felt it was by far the fairest one. Their was a formal interview with two interviewers, a practical part with animal matter and a group interview- completing a task with other applicants. And a decent selection of cakes and goodies 😛
The main factor for me about Notts was their teaching style. Whilst it was great for some, it just didn't suit me and that's a massive factor for you to consider when choosing between universities.
I think I would've applied for RVC too but the BMAT out me off- at least you don't have to stress about that this year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! You've been soooo helpful 🙌🙌🙌 yeah, if RVC still required the BMAT I don't think I would apply but they don't so happy days :h: I hope Glasgow is fab for you :biggrin:
Thank you so much! You've been soooo helpful 🙌🙌🙌 yeah, if RVC still required the BMAT I don't think I would apply but they don't so happy days :h: I hope Glasgow is fab for you :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: did you get a chance to do any summer schools this year, with Reach or Sutton Trust?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just came across this thread and thought I'd say hello. I'm going into S6 next week and want to study vet med when I leave school. I don't know anyone from my area who wants to be a vet, so I think this thread will be very helpful for questions and sharing suggestions, so thank you for making it! Just wondering- eilidhhhh have you been to many open days?? Thanks. PS- Congratulations Treen98 on your offer and eilidhhhh on your results:smile:
Original post by Labrador99
I just came across this thread and thought I'd say hello. I'm going into S6 next week and want to study vet med when I leave school. I don't know anyone from my area who wants to be a vet, so I think this thread will be very helpful for questions and sharing suggestions, so thank you for making it! Just wondering- eilidhhhh have you been to many open days?? Thanks. PS- Congratulations Treen98 on your offer and eilidhhhh on your results:smile:

Hey,
My school was the same- I'm the only one from my county this year afaik, but it's not a problem really :smile:
What are your subjects this year? And just out of interest, has a textbook for AH bio been released yet? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
Hey, My school was the same- I'm the only one from my county this year afaik, but it's not a problem really :smile: What are your subjects this year? And just out of interest, has a textbook for AH bio been released yet? :PPosted from TSR Mobile
Hello. This year I think I'm doing AH biology, chemistry, maths and physics. What subjects did you do in S6? And what did you do your assignments on? No textbooks yet :frown:, nothing from Hodder about a How to Pass, but BrightRed are saying 28th October on their website for publishing their study guide, so hopefully soon! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest