The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Is open university a target uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it's right up there with LSE
Do you guys recommend applying to GS now or waiting till September and being better prepared for it? How much would waiting for a month affect my chances?
Original post by vader9280
Do you guys recommend applying to GS now or waiting till September and being better prepared for it? How much would waiting for a month affect my chances?

End of August to very early Sept is a good window
Original post by vader9280

I'm waiting. I believe they have opened it earlier to give candidates a longer period to prepare / apply rather than rushing it. I'm very doubtful they're going to give out interviews before the end of August at the earliest.
I just submitted my application for GS. Honestly I can't find any reasons to wait. In late August/early September "everyone" has opened their application process, hence it seems smart to do them as fast as possible, eliminating the risk of having to submit 20+ applications in 2 weeks... But that's just my opinion. I don't think it really matters that much if you apply now or in early September.
Original post by KingSweden
I just submitted my application for GS. Honestly I can't find any reasons to wait. In late August/early September "everyone" has opened their application process, hence it seems smart to do them as fast as possible, eliminating the risk of having to submit 20+ applications in 2 weeks... But that's just my opinion. I don't think it really matters that much if you apply now or in early September.

Yeah, I was going to qualify what I said with: if you don't have much planned and aren't going to add anything new to your CV, you may as well apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
I'm waiting. I believe they have opened it earlier to give candidates a longer period to prepare / apply rather than rushing it. I'm very doubtful they're going to give out interviews before the end of August at the earliest.

Yeah, also I think people who are really confident and have been waiting eagerly would apply the earliest. So good/bad application ratio would be really high right now but would keep falling as the deadline approaches, making it easier to stand out. But then, fewer and fewer seats would be left as deadline approaches, so I don't know. I know I'm overthinking this

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not I'm afraid. Ignore PrincePieChump, a known sneering loser on these forums. :lol:
Original post by TheGuyReturns
It's not I'm afraid. Ignore PrincePieChump, a known sneering loser on these forums. :lol:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

GS hired in FO from Brunel last year.. so wouldn't bother much with target/non-target
Hi everyone, just out of interest nothing more, on a scale of say 1-10 how favourably would a BB bank look upon an above average Cambridge mathmo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apriori1234
Hi everyone, just out of interest nothing more, on a scale of say 1-10 how favourably would a BB bank look upon an above average Cambridge mathmo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think of it as ticking boxes, decent degree from a decent uni can tick 2 boxes max (if not 1).. pretty useless if you cant tick another 20 boxes (Networking, work experience, industry knowledge, banter, drive, etc)
Original post by TheParham
Think of it as ticking boxes, decent degree from a decent uni can tick 2 boxes max (if not 1).. pretty useless if you cant tick another 20 boxes (Networking, work experience, industry knowledge, banter, drive, etc)

"Banter", love it. But for "Networking", specifically how does that help secure a summer analyst position given that there seems to be a set application process? How would one in ways, other than through work experience/Spring weeks, improve their industry knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apriori1234
"Banter", love it. But for "Networking", specifically how does that help secure a summer analyst position given that there seems to be a set application process? How would one in ways, other than through work experience/Spring weeks, improve their industry knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For example, if you've spoken to an analyst from their bank and you know what training they offer, its something you could mention in your cover letter and it shows that you care about progressing within their bank and made the effort to find out! You could get non technical industry knowledge from reading Bloomberg FT WSJ properly overtime, there are also a lot of technical stuff that you could at least get a basic understanding of from internet(Investopedia) and networking!
I know someone at JP who said they hired a Lincoln for a FO summer, so dont worry about it and put it your best applicaton

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
Is reusing some of the content used in spring week cover letters dangerous for summer internship applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone remember from last year which banks allow to apply for SA as a final year student?
Original post by dasu95
Is reusing some of the content used in spring week cover letters dangerous for summer internship applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see any problem tbh. You can't change all of your experiences and motivations in one year.
Reply 278
Original post by torres657
Does anyone remember from last year which banks allow to apply for SA as a final year student?

Wondering the same thing.
Original post by torres657

I've seen:
GS/MS/Citi/Nomura/JPM/Barc

And of course all the off cycle schemes at various banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply