The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Who to call if I don't get my grades?

Hi,

I went to an offer holders open day and I was told that if I narrowly miss the grades I should ring up and see if they'll give me an offer anyway? Who do I ring? Clearing? Admissions team?
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/results/contact/
Admissions Team: 0117 370 2618

I had to call them on my results day, some very nice chap told me that I could keep my place despite narrowly missing my offer. Just be warned that if it comes to it expect to be sat on hold for 4-5 hours :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/results/contact/
Admissions Team: 0117 370 2618

I had to call them on my results day, some very nice chap told me that I could keep my place despite narrowly missing my offer. Just be warned that if it comes to it expect to be sat on hold for 4-5 hours :P

Argh, had not thought of this and I'm working that day from the afternoon onwards... :|
You dont call anyone.

The Uni will have had your results for 5 days before you do. They will have made their decision long before Results Day and once decisions go live on Results Day morning you will be able to see this (UF - accepted, or CR - rejected) on UCAS Track.

There will be no need to phone the Uni.

Please read all of the info/advice here about Results Day : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15437-Guide-to-A-level-results-day
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
You dont call anyone.

The Uni will have had your results for 5 days before you do. They will have made their decision long before Results Day and once decisions go live on Results Day morning you will be able to see this (UF - accepted, or CR - rejected) on UCAS Track.

There will be no need to phone the Uni.

Please read all of the info/advice here about Results Day : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15437-Guide-to-A-level-results-day

There's also a third option which is that it doesn't update. In which case you need to phone them and find out. Unless you get the accepted or rejected message in which case there's no need. Speaking from first hand experience here.
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
There's also a third option which is that it doesn't update.

This means that the Uni hasnt made a decision and are waiting to see how overall numbers develop (ie. who comes through Clearing with better grades than you've got etc). Phoning is not going to make ANY difference re. their decision.
Reply 6
This means that the Uni hasnt made a decision and are waiting to see how overall numbers develop (ie. who comes through Clearing with better grades than you've got etc). Phoning is not going to make ANY difference re. their decision.

i think that it would be worth calling, in this case...
Original post by john2054
i think that it would be worth calling, in this case...

WHY?

Please explain how on earth phoning will make any difference at all? The only answer you are going to get is 'we'll make a decision as soon as we can'.

Admissions staff dont think 'wait until he/she rings first' - they make the decision based on your grades, and in their own time. They dont keep some sort of daft ranking list based on how many times any applicant phones/wastes everybody's time.
WHY?

Please explain how on earth phoning will make any difference at all? The only answer you are going to get is 'we'll make a decision as soon as we can'.

Admissions staff dont think 'wait until he/she rings first' - they make the decision based on your grades, and in their own time. They dont keep some sort of daft ranking list based on how many times any applicant phones/wastes everybody's time.

This, this, a thousand times this.
From Bristol Universities Website: www.bristol.ac.uk/results/what-next/

''Check UCAS Track first to see if we have made a decision. *If we have not been able to make a decision, please contact us* and we will be able to let you know what is happening.''

The bottom line, if UCAS says Accepted or Rejected it's game over don't waste your time calling and clogging up the lines. HOWEVER, if it is in limbo/hasn't updated you need to call them as par explicitly stated on the website. I've been through this myself, this is what happens.
When I was at Warwick's Open day the head of admissions said that he keeps a list of all the near misses and it can make a difference if somebody calls as long as they haven't been rejected.
Original post by acontium
When I was at Warwick's Open day the head of admissions said that he keeps a list of all the near misses and it can make a difference if somebody calls as long as they haven't been rejected.

It makes no difference at all, honestly. Admissions staff have not got time for special cases, regardless of what you might have heard. Its just numbers and targets at that stage - 'He's called up lots' doesnt even get noticed.

Btw, most people either achieve their grades, or are accepted as a near miss. These, and all obvious rejects, will have been processed long before Results Day. Its only a tiny % of applicants who are left with no decision longer than this, so the 'what if the sky falls in' scenarios really wont be necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also can I say, I feel an appropriate response to this these would have been 'Ghostbusters'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending