The Student Room Group

A levels vs Access to HE science.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hamo2509
Congrats! I got 1sts in everything except one exam I disastrously failed (I got 4%), which I'm re-sitting in two weeks so fingers crossed.

Given that the resit will be capped at 40% mark maximum (standard practice), what will the grade average be that you are expecting for the first year.

Also ps, why did you do so badly in that exam?
Original post by john2054
Given that the resit will be capped at 40% mark maximum (standard practice), what will the grade average be that you are expecting for the first year.

Also ps, why did you do so badly in that exam?

This exam will end up as counting for 1/16th of this year so I'll still average a 1st luckily. It's an incredibly hard topic (Quantitative Methods), and instead of getting stuck in and asking for help I buried my head in the sand... for 4 months :colondollar:
This exam will end up as counting for 1/16th of this year so I'll still average a 1st luckily. It's an incredibly hard topic (Quantitative Methods), and instead of getting stuck in and asking for help I buried my head in the sand... for 4 months :colondollar:

Did it include spss by any chance. I also took exams on that! Wow. But you know you still need to get a pass 40% score to pass the year Good luck with the resit.

Also ps you probably already know this, but you only need to pass your first year, because only the second and third years count towards your final grade. And you could try asking your lecturer if you need extra help, an extra tutorial for example??
Do all access courses consists of some exams and some coursework or some are just coursework only?
Did it include spss by any chance. I also took exams on that! Wow. But you know you still need to get a pass 40% score to pass the year Good luck with the resit.

Also ps you probably already know this, but you only need to pass your first year, because only the second and third years count towards your final grade. And you could try asking your lecturer if you need extra help, an extra tutorial for example??

Nope.. we used Minitab for coursework but for the exams it's all on paper. On my course my first year counts 10% towards my final grade, otherwise I wouldn't care. Thank you though!

Original post by Blackstarr
Do all access courses consists of some exams and some coursework or some are just coursework only?

I have heard of some Access courses which are 100% coursework, but how well that prepares you for uni I don't know
Nope.. we used Minitab for coursework but for the exams it's all on paper. On my course my first year counts 10% towards my final grade, otherwise I wouldn't care. Thank you though!

I have heard of some Access courses which are 100% coursework, but how well that prepares you for uni I don't know

Cool.

Are resits capped at 40% at your uni, like they are at mine? And what is the name of the degree and uni you are doing, thanks?

Both im afraid.
do Access trust me because A-levels are going to be a bit harder than before, they have put new specifications and rules to A-levels which is a bit scary. Access is more preferable
Are resits capped at 40% at your uni, like they are at mine? And what is the name of the degree and uni you are doing, thanks?

Yep 40%, I study Investment & Financial Risk Management.
Thanks for the reply
Both im afraid.

I always assumed they were composed of 100% coursework.
Thanks for the reply

My access was about 60 40 coursework exam. i did take it over ten years ago though.

Yep 40%, I study Investment & Financial Risk Management.

And where Hamo? pm me if you like??
My access was about 60 40 coursework exam. i did take it over ten years ago though.

And where Hamo? pm me if you like??

Cass Business School
Cool, looks like a good uni
I did an access course and finished with all distinctions, its a fantastic course to study.

I had a friend on the access course who had previously done A Levels and she said the access was harder due to the fact it was so full on and we had 23 assignments/exams to do over the year. If you do the access course I would highly suggest you stay on top of the work as it is very easy to fall behind when some weeks 3 assignments are due in.

However the Access course is brilliant, it takes less time to complete and if you put the time and effort in, you can do really well. Nearly everyone who was on my access course will be attending University either in September or March.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply

My access course was all coursework. I would have preferred a few exams I think! I came out with 45 distinctions out of 45 though and my future uni course is a 50/50 split so here's hoping I do okay with exams!

I can't recommend Access enough, it is a great course.
Reply 36
I've just completed an Access to Science course. I did my A-levels 19 years ago so I can't give an opinion on which is better. I chose Access because it was taught in one academic year, and less expensive. If I complete an undergraduate degree, the Access fee will be written off.

It is quite intensive as you are being taught a mixture of AS and A2 but in half the time, 9-10 months. After an initial settling in period we had three, four assignments at a time, with a fortnight turn-around to the next three, four assignments etc. I didn't have a job during mine, but if you change your mind re working you will need to be incredibly organised.

Assignments were workbooks, tests, assessed lab practicals, assessed discussion, presentations, posters, leaflets, factsheets but no essays as such. As Hamo said, the grading criteria for assignments are included at the front of each assignment, just make sure you're answering the questions asked with refence to the grading criteria. If your presentation, spelling, grammar and syntax are good, and you include several quality references, then you can pick up distinction marks for quality alone.

The upside to continuous assessment was no final exams. The downside was feeling that I was learning just enough to get me through each assignment, learning for the test, so-to-speak. We moved from topic to topic so quickly that I am spending my summer refreshing myself on content I was taught within the last ten months. I was not as organised as I could (should) have been, so this may be more a reflection on my time-management skills.

I would recommend Access. It's a good course and my college taught it well, testing us rigorously and with variety. Whichever course you decide, good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Wotcher
I've just completed an Access to Science course. I did my A-levels 19 years ago so I can't give an opinion on which is better. I chose Access because it was taught in one academic year, and less expensive. If I complete an undergraduate degree, the Access fee will be written off.

It is quite intensive as you are being taught a mixture of AS and A2 but in half the time, 9-10 months. After an initial settling in period we had three, four assignments at a time, with a fortnight turn-around to the next three, four assignments etc. I didn't have a job during mine, but if you change your mind re working you will need to be incredibly organised.

Assignments were workbooks, tests, assessed lab practicals, assessed discussion, presentations, posters, leaflets, factsheets but no essays as such. As Hamo said, the grading criteria for assignments are included at the front of each assignment, just make sure you're answering the questions asked with refence to the grading criteria. If your presentation, spelling, grammar and syntax are good, and you include several quality references, then you can pick up distinction marks for quality alone.

The upside to continuous assessment was no final exams. The downside was feeling that I was learning just enough to get me through each assignment, learning for the test, so-to-speak. We moved from topic to topic so quickly that I am spending my summer refreshing myself on content I was taught within the last ten months. I was not as organised as I could (should) have been, so this may be more a reflection on my time-management skills.

I would recommend Access. It's a good course and my college taught it well, testing us rigorously and with variety. Whichever course you decide, good luck!

I've just been given an interview for a 12 hour a week job, most shifts after 4pm so could do library days, do you think i'd have the time for it or shall I not bother? Also how were the exams, i've currently been going over AS and A2 content for the past year, so I think prior to uni, I should be good for knowledge on the subject.
Reply 38
It might be doable, depending on how you organise your time. We were in college about twelve hours a week, and I probably should have spent an equal amount of time doing study at home, and a maybe a couple of hours extra a week when assignments were due.
Reply 39
Didn't really have exams as such, they were tests and really quite straight forward. For biology there were more essay-style questions, chemistry were giving definitions and calculations. We had no 3 hour exams, all of ours were about an hour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending