The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sububzi
GUYS WTF AM I MEANT TO DO MY UKCAT IS IN EXACTLY ONE MONTH I AM SITTING AT HOME WATCHING THREE MOVIES A DAY AND I AM ABSOLUTELY **** AT VERBAL REASONING AND ABSTRACT REASONING AND QUANTITATiVE REASONING AND BASICALLY THE WHOLE THING

lol im bare ****ed.

Hi sububzi

Firstly, don't panic!

You still have plenty of time if you start now.

I know your post was a few days ago, so I wondered if you have started your prep yet?

As with many things, often the hardest thing is to just start and once you have started you'll find that you get in to it and it isn't as bad as you thought it would be.

The best thing to do is to set aside a few hours per day between now and your test date and just practise as much as you can using the resources that you have. Have you got all of your resources together? Let me know if you need any help with this.

I know it is probably tempting to leave it until right before your test date, but I'm sure that you want to put yourself in the best position possible to succeed and the only way to do this is to do as much prep as you can. You'll thank yourself for it in the end!

I hope that helps. Do shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions
Original post by Lemauricien
Ukcat is unethical.

I completely agree. I did this test twice and did horribly bad (592.5 and 632). I literally think the entire test is simply there to make it easier for the admissions teams as they can just cut down on their applicants number by some universities applying a cutoff. I'm a medical student and can honestly say the ukcat really has no relevance tbh. To be a good medical student you need to be hard working, dedicated and have an inquisitive mind.
I HATED the verbal reasoning section. Literally most of it is guesswork. The other sections aren't as bad.

The annoying thing for applicants now is that popular universities like Liverpool and Bristol have recently started demanding it (with the others using the dreaded BMAT).

Honestly I'd rather go through numerous MMIs then do these annoying admissions tests. Looking back I'd day it's the worst part of the application process but my advice would be to just stick it out and try and do the very best you can :smile:
Remember if it doesn't go well then it doesn't mean you can't apply for medicine, rather you would just have to apply more strategically. Also trust me doing well on the ukcat/bmat has nothing to do with your ability of becoming a good Doctor/medical student, so don't lose hope in yourself if you score lower than expected.
The best resource I can recommend is Medify

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by futuremedic19
I completely agree. I did this test twice and did horribly bad (592.5 and 632). I literally think the entire test is simply there to make it easier for the admissions teams as they can just cut down on their applicants number by some universities applying a cutoff. I'm a medical student and can honestly say the ukcat really has no relevance tbh. To be a good medical student you need to be hard working, dedicated and have an inquisitive mind.
I HATED the verbal reasoning section. Literally most of it is guesswork. The other sections aren't as bad.

The annoying thing for applicants now is that popular universities like Liverpool and Bristol have recently started demanding it (with the others using the dreaded BMAT).

Honestly I'd rather go through numerous MMIs then do these annoying admissions tests. Looking back I'd day it's the worst part of the application process but my advice would be to just stick it out and try and do the very best you can :smile:
Remember if it doesn't go well then it doesn't mean you can't apply for medicine, rather you would just have to apply more strategically. Also trust me doing well on the ukcat/bmat has nothing to do with your ability of becoming a good Doctor/medical student, so don't lose hope in yourself if you score lower than expected.
The best resource I can recommend is Medify

Good luck

Did you end up getting in with a UKCAT score of 632?
Original post by OneAfrica
Did you end up getting in with a UKCAT score of 632?

No it's a long story. Infact believe it or not I actually ended up getting in with only 592.5ave at Cardiff. I did the ukcat over the summer again because I wasn't sure whether I'd have to take another year out or not but thankfully Cardiff accepted me off the waiting list in August.

The point is the ukcat is important and for some places it's very important, however don't stress too much about it as you still have hope if it doesn't go well. I got 4 interviews in the year I got 592.5ave and so as long as you do your research and apply to your strengths then that's the main thing. :smile:
Original post by futuremedic19
No it's a long story. Infact believe it or not I actually ended up getting in with only 592.5ave at Cardiff. I did the ukcat over the summer again because I wasn't sure whether I'd have to take another year out or not but thankfully Cardiff accepted me off the waiting list in August.

The point is the ukcat is important and for some places it's very important, however don't stress too much about it as you still have hope if it doesn't go well. I got 4 interviews in the year I got 592.5ave and so as long as you do your research and apply to your strengths then that's the main thing. :smile:

where did u apply?
Original post by clairebear101
where did u apply?

For 2015 entry it was Cardiff,QUB,Liverpool and Lancaster. Unfortunately now Liverpool have started using the ukcat and Lancaster rank with the BMAT, so it's a little harder to get away with a poor ukcat. QUB gave you full academic points if you had achieved AAAa and so ukcat didn't matter much and Cardiff barely use the ukcat.

How is the prep going for the ukcat/ if you have done it have you decided roughly where you could apply ?
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE 9A* 1A
AS predicted AAAA in bio chem maths french
hoping for A*A*A next year
work exp: 10 months in care home, 2 months in hospital, volunteer at local food bank

where should i apply with my current stats? pref GCSE heavy unis?

UKCAT in 2 weeks, but not betting on that going great
Original post by agahaga
GCSE 9A* 1A
AS predicted AAAA in bio chem maths french
hoping for A*A*A next year
work exp: 10 months in care home, 2 months in hospital, volunteer at local food bank

where should i apply with my current stats? pref GCSE heavy unis?

UKCAT in 2 weeks, but not betting on that going great

Cardiff, Oxford and Birmingham all like lots of A*s i think
Anyone else finding UKCAT hard? Mines in 2 weeks and i'm very stressed
Original post by PND98
any re-applicants on here??if so, what are u guys planning to do in your gap year?

Hi, I'm a re-applicant. I'm basically just trying to figure out where I went wrong last time, working on making my application better (like getting more work experience, etc.) and doing some research sitting at home because I can't travel as much as I'd like to. Usually, people tend to travel around and volunteer during their gap year.
Original post by Nikita Verma
Hi, I'm a re-applicant. I'm basically just trying to figure out where I went wrong last time, working on making my application better (like getting more work experience, etc.) and doing some research sitting at home because I can't travel as much as I'd like to. Usually, people tend to travel around and volunteer during their gap year.

Hey, which unis did you apply to??
Reply 451
I'm stuck between Barts and Kings! Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
I wrote a bit about my self below.
My GCSEs is quite average on TSR at 7 A*s 5 As just couldn't get A*s in English lit or lang sadly

AS- Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Probably will drop Physics
Predicted AAAB (Physics :/ )
I have no idea if I will get that tbh

Work Experience and Caring:
-Three weeks at a dental surgery to see if I want to study dentistry
-Charity shop for a year now
-Care home (it's also a nursing home) for over the summer
-Hospice
-Reception at a primary school for three months
-Tutor two 7 and 8 year olds maths and science
-I help 5-11 year old learn about healthy living in my community centre every week
-Have booked work experience at a hospital but it's all the way in Jan 17. Hopefully I can talk about it in the interviews.

I really need to find work Experience at a hospital and GP before October but it's really hard. I'm struggling quite a bit to find some as I have no contact with any doctors. Sad times! So I'm doing every community work opportunity to just use up my free time.
EDIT: Just got work experience at hospital! Finally :smile: and a day at a GP. This is all before the deadline for application

Potential University:
Main is University of Birmingham
Leicester
Keele
Nottingham
UCL

Currently reading The Man who mistook his wife for a hat and hopefully will further go and research more on the topic and write an essay.
Have done many medicine online courses. I have finished the liver disease course and I am moving on to heart diseases.

Hobbies are playing piano, badminton, basketball. I work as a part time henna artist. Huge bookworm! I have 25 books to read over summer. Woop!
A major thing I do is I run my own online store where I make handmade items and sell them on Etsy. I get around 100 to make a month which takes a lot of my free time.

UKCAT is around 25th Aug
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Selgomez11
Hey!
I wrote a bit about my self below.
My GCSEs is quite average on TSR but the best at my secondary school (it was a really terrible school) 7 A*s 5 As just couldn't get A*s in English lit or lang sadly

AS- Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Probably will drop Physics
Predicted AAAB (Physics :/ )
I have no idea if I will get that tbh

Work Experience and Caring:
-Three weeks at a dental surgery to see if I want to study dentistry
-Charity shop for a year now
-Care home (it's also a nursing home) for over the summer
-Hospice
-Reception at a primary school for three months
-Tutor two 7 and 8 year olds maths and science
-I help 5-11 year old learn about healthy living in my community centre every week
-Have booked work experience at a hospital but it's all the way in Jan 17. Hopefully I can talk about it in the interviews.

I really need to find work Experience at a hospital and GP before October but it's really hard. I'm struggling quite a bit to find some as I have no contact with any doctors. Sad times! So I'm doing every community work opportunity to just use up my free time.

Potential University:
Main is University of Birmingham
Leicester
Keele
Nottingham
UCL

Currently reading The Man who mistook his wife for a hat and hopefully will further go and research more on the topic and write an essay.
Have done many medicine online courses. I have finished the liver disease course and I am moving on to heart diseases.

Hobbies are playing piano, henna, badminton, basketball. I work as a part time henna artist. Hugeworm! I have 25 books to read over summer. Woop!
A major one is that I run my own online store where I make handmade items and sell them on Etsy. I get around 100 orders a month which takes a lot of my free time.

UKCAT is on the 11 august but might change it to the 25ish august. Just because I don't think I'm fully prepared.

Hi Selgomez11

Just wondering what makes you think you are not prepared for your UKCAT? Have you set aside much time for getting yourself ready?

Ideally you should be aiming for a few hours per day for practising in the weeks leading up to your test, which could be done alone using the resources that you have or as part of a course.

Make sure that the resources that you are using are the most up to date and comprehensive available as they can vary largely.

Give me a shout if you have any questions I can answer... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Selgomez11

Just wondering what makes you think you are not prepared for your UKCAT? Have you set aside much time for getting yourself ready?

Ideally you should be aiming for a few hours per day for practising in the weeks leading up to your test, which could be done alone using the resources that you have or as part of a course.

Make sure that the resources that you are using are the most up to date and comprehensive available as they can vary largely.

Give me a shout if you have any questions I can answer... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

It's mainly because I have some friends that's coming to visit me from the US. I know I will get distracted so I decided to move it. I am trying to do a few hours a day but I know I wasn't ready to do it on the 11th. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Kitkat7
I'm stuck between Barts and Kings! Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really about your stats so far. What did you get for your GCSEs and what's are you predicted if don't mind me asking :smile:
I know the feeling. It's so easy to loose a sense of structure with revision once you're off college but you have to think that if you don't do well on this test then that's it, you probably won't be accepted for medicine or dentistry and then what will you do next year? I suppose you could do the BMAT and apply to Universities who do those if on the day something went wrong, but that's you're last option.

When I find it hard to revise, I start off by doing small, realistic 10-15 minutes of revision 3-4 times every 2/3 days then build it up to longer sessions that are more frequent. Hope this helps.
To all of you stressing, I revised my UKCAT in about 3 days (whilst working) and got 660. (It isn't the best, but got me an offer) So if you have weeks or even months left, you still have plenty of time, don't worry!

To all of you stressing about the BMAT, I revised for that in 2 days, and got 6.4, 3.8, 3A. (Again that got me an offer) I'm not recommending you only spend two days on it, but if I can do it, you can do it (and probably better) if you have more time :top:

Also if you need any tips or advice I'd be happy to help. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UnknownAnon
To all of you stressing, I revised my UKCAT in about 3 days (whilst working) and got 660. (It isn't the best, but got me an offer) So if you have weeks or even months left, you still have plenty of time, don't worry!

To all of you stressing about the BMAT, I revised for that in 2 days, and got 6.4, 3.8, 3A. (Again that got me an offer) I'm not recommending you only spend two days on it, but if I can do it, you can do it (and probably better) if you have more time :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I was wondering what revision resources worked well for you when revising for UKCAT? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UnknownAnon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, did you use any resources for bmat other than the ones on the website?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending