The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Congrats if you gave decent advice. <3
Hi, I was raised in a Muslim family and denounced my religion at the age of 10/11 after doubting it and questioning it for a year. I was very mature as a child (don't know what the **** happened though because i'm a complete retard now) anyway I lost my faith in Islam due to a number of things. Here are a few.

Treatment of women
I noticed how I was treated differently and not allowed to do certain things because I was a girl. I didn't understand why women had to cover up when men could where whatever they wanted. Apparently women are supposed to cover up in Islam because men may have sexual thoughts about them or whatever bullcrap they come up with, then why tell young girls to cover up, girls as young as 3. Men being allowed to have multiple wives didn't sound right to me.

Science
The big bang theory and evolution go against Islamic teachings, I am a logical person and refuse to believe an ancient book is correct when there is physical proof for these theories. Many Muslims brag about how scientific the Quran is even though it has many, many mistakes when it comes to science. Just because it has a couple things right do we ignore all the mistakes?
https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran
Follow the link for more info about the mistakes.

The morality and existence of God
The existence of a God (or Gods) didn't make sense to me. The whole religion along with all the other religions seemed very man made to me (and quite stupid).I couldn't believe in it and I tried to believe in it so for my family's sake (I'll explain this in the next point) but it was like trying to convince myself that my dad is secretly the queen.
Also if a God did exist what a horrible being he must be to allow so many people to suffer. This youtube video featuring Stephen Fry, explains my thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI

The Muslim Community
The Muslim community is one of the most judgmental, sensitive, hypocritical and backwards-thinking communities out there. When I mentioned I wanted to believe in God for my family's sake I meant two things: 1) apostasy is a big no no in Islam and the Muslim community, if my parents found out I would be punished and probably forced to attend Islamic classes. 2) Because the Muslim community is so judgmental it would be embarrassing for my family to have an atheist among them.

I haven't even scraped the surface. I only replied because I've been in your situation and I know how it feels. It's been a few years since I made the decision to denounce my religion and honestly it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. A ton of weight was lifted off my shoulders when I denounced my religion and it felt great. My parents don't know I'm planning on hiding it from them until I'm financially independent and living far, far away from them lol.
I hope this helped sorry if some of it didn't make sense I've had a long day but I saw your post and wanted to help you out.
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Sex slaves is true.

No it isn't true, those who believe so have been misguide by Salalfis and Islamophobes. Islam does not permit "Sex slaves", but (historically) servitude with conditions, with the easing of lust of those in servitude being permitted.

I have done lots of research on this area. If God didn't want us to question things even regarding Islam then why did he give us a brain? Why did he give us the ability to think and analyse? Why did he give us an intellect? Why didn't he just make people brain dead and believe anything you're told. Theres a reason God gave us the ability think for ourselves and to question things. It's people like you that are easily blinded and close minded. Your brain is a terrible thing to waste. We would all be zombies, there's a reason why God gave us a brain. I don't believe I'm sinning by having doubts or questioning things, it's part of human nature and we'll never really get the answers until after death. Nothing is guaranteed to happen. We don't have the answers.

Did I advise you to follow Islam blindly? I can't remember so. One can and should question what they believe. But once Muslim, you should be aware of the surrounding enviroment, where there are many individuals eager to criticise, mock and misguide Muslims (some such peoples can even be "Muslim" - Salafis). Because of this, questioning Islam (knowing it may lead you to kufr) is to be preferably avoided.
Original post by tahsin87
I think you need to speak to a scholar or an Imam on the doubts you are having, so they can answer the questions you have. What are parents teach is fine to a point but I have found that by actually seeking out the answers and by asking scholars the doubts I had were answered, no one can provide a succinct answer in the way they can.

I think imams are a big reason why I am being "led astray". I've yet to come across an imam that doesn't use scaremongering to get his point across. If you do this or that you'll go to hell or God will punish you, you'll be squeezed in your grave, your hair will be tied to your toes if you don't cover your hair, that's haraam, this is haraam, save yourselves from the hellfire etc etc. How does that make God sound peaceful and merciful?

The mosque I attended, it was said that disbelievers will never go to heaven. I think that's rubbish. I know plenty of non Muslims that are better and kinder people than most Muslims. It just makes Muslims look arrogant.
I think imams are a big reason why I am being "led astray". I've yet to come across an imam that doesn't use scaremongering to get his point across. If you do this or that you'll go to hell or God will punish you, you'll be squeezed in your grave, your hair will be tied to your toes if you don't cover your hair, that's haraam, this is haraam, save yourselves from the hellfire etc etc. How does that make God sound peaceful and merciful?

The mosque I attended, it was said that disbelievers will never go to heaven. I think that's rubbish. I know plenty of non Muslims that are better and kinder people than most Muslims. It just makes Muslims look arrogant.

Although fear of God is recommended when subscribing to such a religion, it certainly shouldn't be the only reason to obey the command of God.

For my Master Imam Ali once said (paraphrased):

There are 3 types of servants of God. The first obeys God because of the reward of Heaven, and this is the worship of a business man. The second one obeys because of fear of punishment and hell fire. The last obeys God because He is most worthy of being worshiped.

The last one is evidently the most superior.

I have already made a comment on the notion of every single disbeliever residing in hell for eternity. Personally, most of His creation will end heaven, after punishment of one's crimes. This is not to say that inevitably some souls will reside for eternity.

It also depends on how you define disbelievers. A more accurate definition of kufr is the one who has been exposed to the truth and yet still rejects. This is those who the Prophets were sent to and asked for miracles, but when given they still disbelieved.
No it isn't true, those who believe so have been misguide by Salalfis and Islamophobes. Islam does not permit "Sex slaves", but (historically) servitude with conditions, with the easing of lust of those in servitude being permitted.

so , sex slaves then

Did I advise you to follow Islam blindly? I can't remember so. One can and should question what they believe. But once Muslim, you should be aware of the surrounding enviroment, where there are many individuals eager to criticise, mock and misguide Muslims (some such peoples can even be "Muslim" - Salafis). Because of this, questioning Islam (knowing it may lead you to kufr) is to be preferably avoided.

equally im sure op is aware that there is a compulsion for muslims not to challenge any sort of doctrine or even shiekhs and imams rulings, for fear of death - a self preservation mechanism
Original post by AperfectBalance
1)

Prisoners
mostly confined to prisons
Cant easily get out when they want to
Mostly forced to wear uniform
Lives are ruled over by guards/officers
Most Have a chance to get out

Islamic women

mostly confined to Houses and are expected to be a house wife/woman
Cant easily get out when they want to
Mostly forced to wear a form of veil
Lives are ruled over by Men
Very little chance to get out.

Prisoners
dont get right to vote

Islamic governed women
dont get right to vote
Reply 227
Original post by Khizer.M
Lets put this into simpler terms.
lets say Allah has written that it is "correct to take slaves after war"
I am saying that it is incorrect.
Me saying that it is incorrect isn't confronting Allah and challenging his authority on it or diasgreeing it's simply taking a neutral stance as i'm not acting on it e.g I'm not taking any slaves.
This is clerly where we differ on our understanding of these things.
As far as I am aware, in Islam, it is not possible to claim that Allah is wrong about anything. By definition, he is perfect, infallible, he is incapable of making mistakes. Yet you claim that he was wrong to allow slavery and using slaves for sex.
It is not a matter of you chosing to not take advantage of a permission. You are not saying "I think slavery is ok, but I just don't want to keep slaves". You are saying "slavery is wrong". You are making a negative judgement about Allah's morality.

If, on the other hand, you are claiming that taking slaves and using them for sex is ok, but you just choose not to do it, you are approving of slavery (but I get the impression that you do not)

Me not taking a slave has no effect on me when i'm judged about my life on this earth on judgement day.
Becauseon the day of judgement i won't be judged on my opinion about taking war slaves i'll be judged on my actions.
But if you are claiming that Allah was wrong to allow slavery and sex with slaves, then Allah might well not look too kindly on it.
Reply 228
Original post by P.A
study the Quran and only then will you realise how the religion of Islam is a religion of peace, mercy and love.
Peace - Fight them until there is no more fitnah and all religion is for Islam - Quran 8:39

Mercy - The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, - Quran 24:2

Love - There is for you an excellent example (to follow) in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people: "We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever,- unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone" - Quran 60:4

Don't reveal what is to be seen only by your husband.
Clearly implying that a woman is a possession of her husband.

You'd be surprised what God has described in the Quran in terms of women and how husbands should treat them.
Indeed - As to those women on whose part ye fear disobedience and ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, and beat them - Quran 4:34

After all, we are all humans and we make mistakes but God doesn't so understand Gods words and message - you'll be glad you did
So you agree with Allah when he allows men to have sex with their slaves (an act classed as rape by international law)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 229
No it isn't true, those who believe so have been misguide by Salalfis and Islamophobes.
It is clearly permitted in the Quran and sahih hadith.
"And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those captives whom your right hands possess." - 4:24

Successful are the believers...who guard their chastity save from their wives or the slaves that their right hands possess - 23:5-6

O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives whom you have given their dowries, and those whom your right hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as prisoners of war, - 33:50

"O Allah's Apostle! We get female captives as our share of booty, and we are interested in their prices, what is your opinion about coitus interrupt us?" The Prophet said, "Do you really do that? It is better for you not to do it. No soul that which Allah has destined to exist, but will surely come into existence. - Bukhari 34:432

Some of the Companions of Apostle of Allaah were reluctant to have relations with the female captives because of their pagan husbands. So, Allaah the exalted sent down the Qur’anic verse “And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hand posses.” - Dawud 2155

Islam does not permit "Sex slaves", but (historically) servitude with conditions, with the easing of lust of those in servitude being permitted.
WTF does this even mean?

Because of this, questioning Islam (knowing it may lead you to kufr) is to be preferably avoided.
Indeed. Don't question Islam as it could lead to disbelief. Allah even warned against it in the Quran.
Odd, don't you think? "Allah is perfect and Islam is clearly true, but don't ask questions because we might not have a good answer".
Allah doesn't really show a lot of confidence in his "perfect" religion, does he?
Sorry, forgot that questions are not allowed!
Original post by P.A
go and study the Quran and only then will you realise how the religion of Islam is a religion of peace, mercy and love. It will teach you to live a good lifestyle

Said every Muslim ever who hasn't read the Quran themselves.
Original post by a.shah786
I would say you need to research what things you have listed about islam before jumping into conclusions. Firstly, everything you find on the internet is not always the truth, many people like to take an extreame point of view on things when that is totally not what islam portrays. There are many extreamist islamic groups who believe that women are lower than men etc. However this is not the case, as when a muslim woman marries a man she completes half of his deen. Also when a muslim girl is born in a household, she becomes the reason for her father to enter paradise. When she becomes a mother paradise lies beneath her feet. This is the status of women in islam. I hope you finally realise that islam does not teach inequality between men and women. i pray that you never feel like this again towards islam & inshallah allah guides you to the right path.

Then why is only one goat sacrificed for the birth of a daughter compared to two goats for a son?
Then why is only one goat sacrificed for the birth of a daughter compared to two goats for a son?

Can you provide a hadith for this. I haven't heard of this practice before.
Hi, I was raised in a Muslim family and denounced my religion at the age of 10/11 after doubting it and questioning it for a year. I was very mature as a child (don't know what the **** happened though because i'm a complete retard now) anyway I lost my faith in Islam due to a number of things. Here are a few.

Treatment of women
I noticed how I was treated differently and not allowed to do certain things because I was a girl. I didn't understand why women had to cover up when men could where whatever they wanted. Apparently women are supposed to cover up in Islam because men may have sexual thoughts about them or whatever bullcrap they come up with, then why tell young girls to cover up, girls as young as 3. Men being allowed to have multiple wives didn't sound right to me.

Science
The big bang theory and evolution go against Islamic teachings, I am a logical person and refuse to believe an ancient book is correct when there is physical proof for these theories. Many Muslims brag about how scientific the Quran is even though it has many, many mistakes when it comes to science. Just because it has a couple things right do we ignore all the mistakes?
https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Quran
Follow the link for more info about the mistakes.

The morality and existence of God
The existence of a God (or Gods) didn't make sense to me. The whole religion along with all the other religions seemed very man made to me (and quite stupid).I couldn't believe in it and I tried to believe in it so for my family's sake (I'll explain this in the next point) but it was like trying to convince myself that my dad is secretly the queen.
Also if a God did exist what a horrible being he must be to allow so many people to suffer. This youtube video featuring Stephen Fry, explains my thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI

The Muslim Community
The Muslim community is one of the most judgmental, sensitive, hypocritical and backwards-thinking communities out there. When I mentioned I wanted to believe in God for my family's sake I meant two things: 1) apostasy is a big no no in Islam and the Muslim community, if my parents found out I would be punished and probably forced to attend Islamic classes. 2) Because the Muslim community is so judgmental it would be embarrassing for my family to have an atheist among them.

I haven't even scraped the surface. I only replied because I've been in your situation and I know how it feels. It's been a few years since I made the decision to denounce my religion and honestly it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. A ton of weight was lifted off my shoulders when I denounced my religion and it felt great. My parents don't know I'm planning on hiding it from them until I'm financially independent and living far, far away from them lol.
I hope this helped sorry if some of it didn't make sense I've had a long day but I saw your post and wanted to help you out.
:smile:

Wikiislam - really? If that is the quality of academic research you used, no wonder you lost your faith...
x

Try talking with some ex-Muslims who will hopefully be able to relate to you and the unique struggles you have faced. It must have been awfully difficult for you, I've heard from so many that they feel guilt to even question their religion.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Can you provide a hadith for this. I haven't heard of this practice before.

It was narrated from Umm Karaz that she asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about ‘aqeeqah, and he said: “For a boy, two sheep, and for a female one sheep, and it does not matter if it is male or female.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1516, who said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth; and by al-Nasaa’i, 4217; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 4/391

"It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded them (to slaughter) two sheep of similar type for a boy and one sheep for a girl."

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1513, who said it is hasan saheeh; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.
Original post by ApplyYourself
It was narrated from Umm Karaz that she asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about ‘aqeeqah, and he said: “For a boy, two sheep, and for a female one sheep, and it does not matter if it is male or female.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1516, who said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth; and by al-Nasaa’i, 4217; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 4/391

"It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded them (to slaughter) two sheep of similar type for a boy and one sheep for a girl."

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1513, who said it is hasan saheeh; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Oh, okay, I have also read up on it now... my personal reflection is that it isn't a bad thing for girls and perhaps could be seen as beneficial even - people see that 2 sheep are being sacrificed and get vexed that only 1 is slaughtered for a girl; I would be happy that Allah has equated the single sheep of a girl to two of a boy, showing perhaps that she is more valuable rather than less. These are just my thoughts, but no one knows the true reason why there is that difference.
I find your line of reasoning interesting.

I would expect someone to lose faith due to complete lack of evidence for a god or any of the rest of it. In normal everyday life you wouldn't just believe in things without evidence. If you did you'd end up being taken for a ride quite a lot of the time. Most Muslims I know seem to see that, yet they don't apply that style of thinking to religion.

I don't really see how you can start losing faith in the way that you say you are. I mean if you really believe in this all powerful being how can you say his ideas are wrong if you haven't previously lost faith in his being all knowing/powerful etc?
Oh, okay, I have also read up on it now... my personal reflection is that it isn't a bad thing for girls and perhaps could be seen as beneficial even - people see that 2 sheep are being sacrificed and get vexed that only 1 is slaughtered for a girl; I would be happy that Allah has equated the single sheep of a girl to two of a boy, showing perhaps that she is more valuable rather than less. These are just my thoughts, but no one knows the true reason why there is that difference.

Narrated Usama bin Zaid: The Prophet said, "After me I have not left any affliction more harmful to men than women."Sahih Bukhari 7:62:33

Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annual prayer were mentioned before me (and those were): a dog, a donkey and a woman. I said, "You have compared us (women) to donkeys and dogs. By Allah! I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in (my) bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I disliked to sit and trouble the Prophet. So, I would slip away by the side of his feet."Sahih Bukhari 1:9:493

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:Once Allah's Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)." They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle ?" He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion." Sahih Bukhari 1:6:301

How would you justify these to yourself?
(edited 7 years ago)
Wikiislam - really? If that is the quality of academic research you used, no wonder you lost your faith...

Wikiislam is now being administered and operated by EMNA (Ex-Muslims of North America)

It may have had some issues in the past, but they are working on cleaning them up.

It would probably still have a bit of an "anti-Islam bias" but I guess everything that's not from Harun Yahya or quranisverybeautifulandamazing.com would be 'anti-muslim' you :h:

Besides, they list all their sources, which come from Islamic literature...
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending