The Student Room Group

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 97Y
Why only 2.8K?

Because most accommodation I have chosen is approximately £5.4k. So I have £2.8k left for food, booze, going out, stationary etc.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. It may be worth ringing the scholarship/bursary department of your chosen unis and try and get some financial help. Also some companies do sponsored degrees. A friend of mine is doing one with Airbus and is going to leave uni with more money than he came with!
Reply 21
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yes. My mum wanted me to go into Accountancy but my maths isn't very good at all and I just hate the subject altogether. Halfway through I realised what I was doing to my life and that if I do Accountancy I will hate my life everyday! So I changed my subjects around and I'm pursuing a different degree and ever since then my mums just been kind of cross with me.

So even if I lived in England I doubt my mum would even offer to help fund my course. :colonhash:

Do you think that it's bitterness? Did she go to uni!
Reply 22
Original post by tg1998
Because most accommodation I have chosen is approximately £5.4k. So I have £2.8k left for food, booze, going out, stationary etc.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. It may be worth ringing the scholarship/bursary department of your chosen unis and try and get some financial help. Also some companies do sponsored degrees. A friend of mine is doing one with Airbus and is going to leave uni with more money than he came with!

I'll get some financial help from whichever university and I'm sure you do too, right? Like 2K for extra help for the less affluent students?
I've had a look but I haven't found anyone willing to sponsor a chemistry student
I do feel for people who can't get financial support. My parents are on low income so can't help even if they wanted to, but while the emotional support is there from my dad, it's absent from my mother. I overheard her the other day saying she prays I miss my firm university offer. This hurt so much, especially when that particular university is one I have been working really hard to get to in the past two years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Serine Soul
I do feel for people who can't get financial support. My parents are on low income so can't help even if they wanted to, but while the emotional support is there from my dad, it's absent from my mother. I overheard her the other day saying the prays I miss my firm university offer. This hurt so much, especially when that particular university is one I have been working really hard to get to in the past two years.

Serine Soul - I think my relationship with my mum went to the point of no return when she said "I can't wait to say 'I told you so' on results day" despite it being my dream to attend my firm and spending all my waking hours studying.
At least you have your dad *smiles awkwardly* that's something at least! Why is she being like that?
Reply 25
Original post by 97Y
I'll get some financial help from whichever university and I'm sure you do too, right? Like 2K for extra help for the less affluent students?
I've had a look but I haven't found anyone willing to sponsor a chemistry student

Yes I will get £1-2k. as their private pension will be under £16k a year and the rest of their income is just cash in the bank which doesn't count.

Sucks about the sponsored degrees. Normally they are for under subscribed courses like engineering. You never know some chemistry based ones may come up.
Reply 26
Original post by tg1998
Yes I will get £1-2k. as their private pension will be under £16k a year and the rest of their income is just cash in the bank which doesn't count.

Sucks about the sponsored degrees. Normally they are for under subscribed courses like engineering. You never know some chemistry based ones may come up.

I found a financial twin! That is actually quite nice.. What are you looking to study and which part in the country?

If only I could stomach maths..
Original post by 97Y
I just never found one I could relate with so I decided to post!
I tell myself that it'll get better because I'll do well for myself, hopefully, one day

i know how you feel, i could overhear my dad talking to my mum last week saying how my course was a waste of my money and my work (i study graphic design) wasnt anything special and im just kidding myself
Reply 28
Original post by 97Y
I found a financial twin! That is actually quite nice.. What are you looking to study and which part in the country?

If only I could stomach maths..

Politics - yes sounds dull I know, but far more interesting than you'd believe.

Where? Anywhere that's reasonably well regarded and doesn't cost a fortune:
Exeter - penryn campus (Cornwall)
Birmingham
Loughborough
York
Southampton - expensive to live there so maybe not
Royal Holloway - my back up incase I under-perform my predicted grades.
Sussex.

It's nice to find someone who's in a similar financial situation. Half my friends are either being entirely supported by family (and will get way more than they need) or will get support to to prevent them living in the gutter after they spend all their loan on JD and cokes.

My parents have said they will only help pay for food if I run out of cash (and have spent it wisely), but will not support me if I go out drinking or start smoking. BUT I will not let myself become reliant. They've invested a lot for my education already. It's my time to do the spending now.
Original post by 97Y
Serine Soul - I think my relationship with my mum went to the point of no return when she said "I can't wait to say 'I told you so' on results day" despite it being my dream to attend my firm and spending all my waking hours studying.
At least you have your dad *smiles awkwardly* that's something at least! Why is she being like that?

Damn that's cruel

Yeah :redface: I have no idea tbh. I'd say 50% worrying about her 'reputation' being ruined if I live far from home, 25% over protectiveness, 15% worry that I won't fit in, 10% bitterness bc she says she never got the chance to study
Original post by 97Y
Just wanted to make a forum/post to people like me, who may be looking at forums and advice documents where it just assumes that your parents are 100% behind you.
You're not alone in not having parents who won't give you a penny towards your studies/living and who didn't ask how any of your exams went.
It can be difficult seeing "and you'll visit for Christmas" because I know that I won't and others may be in the same position too.

Hey guys! Please make yourself known, because I am sure that I am not alone

My mum isn't financially supporting me but I figure, why should she? She spent the first 18 years if my life supporting me. Now I'm an adult, it's my turn to shoulder the burden.
I do feel for people who can't get financial support. My parents are on low income so can't help even if they wanted to, but while the emotional support is there from my dad, it's absent from my mother. I overheard her the other day saying she prays I miss my firm university offer. This hurt so much, especially when that particular university is one I have been working really hard to get to in the past two years.

youll proove her wrong ena,DW
Get a part-time job, work hard and be independent. Don't start a pity-party on TSR and lower the tone - that won't help anyone change their situation.
Original post by somevirtualguy
Was speaking about an accommodation prepayment with my mum recently which is 550 quid and she said she couldn't help but is currently planning on buying a new kitchen!!

This makes my blood boil.
Lucky I live in Scotland so I don't have to pay for anything financially towards university tuitions, however, my mum doesnt like the degree course that I want to do at all as she wanted me to do a course that I didn't really see myself doing. It can be quite hard because I just want her to be happy but I don't think she wont be. However, I'm doing this degree for myself and nobody else, as much as I want my mum to be happy I have to think about my own happiness too. It sucks.

Damn you're extra lucky for being Scottish you can literally do as many degrees as you want; all for free!

What did your mum want you to do? Lemme guess: it's starts with an M and ends with an E? 🎣
I overheard her the other day saying she prays I miss my firm university offer. This hurt so much, especially when that particular university is one I have been working really hard to get to in the past two years.
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

10% bitterness bc she says she never got the chance to study

😡😡😡😡 that's literally the most out of order thing a mum can wish for her child WTH. God doesn't accept prayers made with bad and malicious intentions that's for sure.😡😡😡😡
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes. My mum wanted me to go into Accountancy but my maths isn't very good at all and I just hate the subject altogether. Halfway through I realised what I was doing to my life and that if I do Accountancy I will hate my life everyday! So I changed my subjects around and I'm pursuing a different degree and ever since then my mums just been kind of cross with me.

So even if I lived in England I doubt my mum would even offer to help fund my course. :colonhash:

You're doing diagnostic radiography right? As far as I'm aware, in England the NHS pays for all your tuition fees for radiography. You'd be safe here too.

And it's good that you ditched accounting, that's an extremely dead thing to study if you're a sciencey person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by pmc:producer
Get a part-time job, work hard and be independent. Don't start a pity-party on TSR and lower the tone - that won't help anyone change their situation.

If you are not in our shoes then don't comment, unless you feel the backstabbing pain of your parent/whoever not supporting such an important decision you have no right to comment. Thank you, and good day
Original post by 97Y
If you are not in our shoes then don't comment, unless you feel the backstabbing pain of your parent/whoever not supporting such an important decision you have no right to comment. Thank you, and good day

You know nothing of my position or background. If the truth hurts, that's fine. But we all know wallowing in self-pity instead of adopting a 'get up and go' attitude is the cancer here. Like I said, get a part-time job, become independent - maybe then your parent's will love and support you more.
Original post by tg1998

Spending money on Booze and stationary. What a strange combination 😂😂😂😂 I can imagine someone like you in tesco with 3 bottles of jack Daniels and an alphabet stencil kit in your bagging area.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending