The Student Room Group

Am I going to get taxed on my first full wage?!

Hi there!?I'm working 2 months full time over summer, doing 35+ hours each week. The first month I only did around 3 weeks work as I joined late so obviously I didn't get a full wage (£860-ish).However this month I will have done a full month and also got commission which I am expecting to get around £1200/£1300 (inc.commsion). That will be my last wage as I go on holiday and back to uni again and working part time (6-12hours weekly).Do you think I'll get taxed for this months wage? Baring in mind it's my first ever proper wage!!!Thanks
Yes. You will get taxed. However if by the end of the tax year, if you have earned less than £11k in total, you will be due a rebait of all taxes paid this financial year.... which is nice!
Original post by ByEeek
Yes. You will get taxed. However if by the end of the tax year, if you have earned less than £11k in total, you will be due a rebait of all taxes paid this financial year.... which is nice!

Is that a definite yes I will be taxed? Because I am hearing different things ?!🤔 Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by RichardR21
Hi there!?I'm working 2 months full time over summer, doing 35+ hours each week. The first month I only did around 3 weeks work as I joined late so obviously I didn't get a full wage (£860-ish).However this month I will have done a full month and also got commission which I am expecting to get around £1200/£1300 (inc.commsion). That will be my last wage as I go on holiday and back to uni again and working part time (6-12hours weekly).Do you think I'll get taxed for this months wage? Baring in mind it's my first ever proper wage!!!Thanks

What's your tax code? If it's an "emergency" code e.g BR or 0T you will be deducted tax from your pay. But if this happens, and it is your only income, you can reclaim it: https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

If it is 1100L M1 then any monthly earnings above £917 will be taxed. (and again can be reclaimed.)

So it all depends on the tax code...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
What's your tax code? If it's an "emergency" code e.g BR or 0T you will be deducted tax from your pay. But if this happens, and it is your only income, you can reclaim it: https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

If it is 1100L M1 then any monthly earnings above £917 will be taxed. (and again can be reclaimed.)

So it all depends on the tax code...

Yeah I've just checked my tax code now, it starts with 1100L... So that means I will be getting taxed then won't it? Especially if I am expecting around £1200-£1300. Think it will be a lot?
And thanks I'll be sure to claim it back if that's the case! Do I need anything to claim it back?

Thank you
Reply 5
Yeah I've just checked my tax code now, it starts with 1100L... So that means I will be getting taxed then won't it? Especially if I am expecting around £1200-£1300. Think it will be a lot?
And thanks I'll be sure to claim it back if that's the case! Do I need anything to claim it back?

Thank you

Does it also have M1 or W1? If not they will aggregate your 2 months pay and give you 2 months allowance when they calculate your final payslip. You might be just below the tax threshold. Edit: Actually even then you are earning enough to pay some tax.

But follow the link I gave on how to reclaim overpaid tax if you need to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You will also pay national insurance (NI) which is worked out weekly.
Yes I will be sure to follow that link if that's the case .
No I cannot find M1 or W1 next to my tax code? So that means I shouldn't be taxed correct?
Actually no, it does have M1 dept next to it... :frown:

Thank you

All you need to do to claim it back is to phone up the tax office (you can find the number by doing a quick google search) and explain that you have been taxed when you shouldnt have and they will sort it so that you get any overpaid tax back the next payday. All you should need is your national insurance number. And it would be helpful to have your last payslip to hand as well.
Original post by Emma:-)
All you need to do to claim it back is to phone up the tax office (you can find the number by doing a quick google search) and explain that you have been taxed when you shouldnt have and they will sort it so that you get any overpaid tax back the next payday. All you should need is your national insurance number. And it would be helpful to have your last payslip to hand as well.

Thank you, I will be sure to do that
Thank you, I will be sure to do that

Ive had to do it myself a few times over the years.
It can be a pain being on hold if you have to wait a while but its worth it and it gets sorted there and then.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive had to do it myself a few times over the years.
It can be a pain being on hold if you have to wait a while but its worth it and it gets sorted there and then.

I have never waited less than 45 minutes to get through, and ive had to call many times due to their mistakes. HMRC are by far the most incompetent government service lacking in any customer service whatsoever.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
I have never waited less that 45 minutes to get through, and ive had to call many times due to their mistakes. HMRC are by far the most incompetent government service lacking in any customer service whatsoever.*

I seem to have been more successful. Ive never had to wait quite that long (i think the most ive had to wait is about 30 minutes)- but i totally know what you mean and have heard of people waiting that long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending