The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronnydandam
I see you used emedica. Useful or not?

I was given a free code for emedica from my college and yes I found it very useful as practice, but I personally found it a little to easy, medify in my opinion was a much better resource. But if you want more practice start with emedica as it helped me get used to the questions before the exam.
Original post by Uni12345678
Hey what book was this from? X

Hey,,

The book title is (((how to master the UKCAT))) and 600+qs
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992

Here is a page full of resources for those who need it
Original post by sophmlg
They've left out everything but the horizontal arrow for the next box, and they've just mirrored it.

Aah okay, thanks!
Does anyone have any advice on what universities to apply to with a 636 UKCAT score?
Original post by AqsaMx
Hi would anyone be able to help me with these 3 QR questions? Really struggling to understand these questions

image.jpeg
Attachment not found

Anyone pls?
You can reschedule to have more time to practise and to do so you can use medify.co.uk. It's really helpful.
Original post by Fireplace123
My ukcat is in a week and ive been revising for a week and a half yet my scores have not improved!
Im getting such low low scores- like 40 percents in all sections and haven't jumoed higher
I use kaplan book and icc and have read their toos and strategies and answer their questions yet i get them mostly all wrong!
Pleasee help in what i should do!

Have you been doing the questions times? If so, that will be why. Don't bother timing yourself until you can do the questions!
Also, the ISC book is difficult, so that may be a factor in it, but just continue practising, without time constraints, and you will definitely improve.

Medify is also an excellent resource if you can afford a week or two of it :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
I was given a free code for emedica from my college and yes I found it very useful as practice, but I personally found it a little to easy, medify in my opinion was a much better resource. But if you want more practice start with emedica as it helped me get used to the questions before the exam.

Thank you, I've got both do you reckon I should use them both or just medify? Exam is in 2 weeks
Original post by ronnydandam
Thank you, I've got both do you reckon I should use them both or just medify? Exam is in 2 weeks

I would go for Medify. Very similar to the real test apparently - although I can't confirm this as I haven't taken my test yet. It has been very helpful though so far. You can get a 2 week package for £35
Original post by Orlanda
I would go for Medify. Very similar to the real test apparently - although I can't confirm this as I haven't taken my test yet. It has been very helpful though so far. You can get a 2 week package for £35

Thanks a lot, I bought them both yesterday and good luck. I really hope it improves my AR....

edit: everytime I do AR a new obscure pattern seems to come up which I can't spot and I don't seem to learn(used Kaplan and ISC and a tiny bit of medify so far)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hello,

Can anyone help me with Ukcat test, where can I find practice questions in full version. Also if you know good website or video can you send the link please. I have downloaded the apps but it is not that useful to explain.

Thanks

I just used Medify and did pretty well
It's online and it's a good m>mic of the real thing
The ISC book 1000q new edition I used as well and it's pretty good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneAfrica
Does anyone have any advice on what universities to apply to with a 636 UKCAT score?

I can only give you my opinion, as I'm also unsure about which universities I should apply to once I have done my ukcat. However I think your ukcat score would not be high enough for Kings, so maybe avoid there! It may also be too low for cardiff. Plymouth and Newcastle could be options for you, and so could sheffield but they look at the personal statement quite heavily so be aware of that. Most universities that don't look at the ukcat as much will then almost certainly use the personal statement quite a bit! Most universities would be more than happy with your score, other than the ukcat heavy uni's! Good luck :smile:

Another poster above me has recommended some med schools, but they seem to have gotten a few things mixed up.

Avoid newcastle, exeter, southampton, kings and glasgow completely as you are very unlikely to meet their cut offs (usually the upper 600s). Also be wary of places like manchester and St George's, edinburgh and barts who use the UKCAT in conjunction with things, unless you have amazing academics or ps you will be unlikely to gain an interview.

Try to look for places that use the UKCAT as a small proportion of their scoring system or not at all such as bristol, Cardiff, sheffield, liecester, nottingham, cardiff, Uea, plymouth, liverpool, birmingham, qub. Because they only use the UKCAT as a small % of their scoring system they often use academics or personal statement very heavily. Im afraid your really going to struggle with this UKCAT score if you also have low GCSE grades (less than a couple of 6A/A* grades).

To combat this if you do have weaker grades why not try the BMAT? Universities such as lancaster, BSMS, leeds which use the BMAT.

Hope this helps, if you need anymorw advice feel free to PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluebell786
I can only give you my opinion, as I'm also unsure about which universities I should apply to once I have done my ukcat. However I think your ukcat score would not be high enough for Kings, so maybe avoid there! It may also be too low for cardiff. Plymouth and Newcastle could be options for you, and so could sheffield but they look at the personal statement quite heavily so be aware of that. Most universities that don't look at the ukcat as much will then almost certainly use the personal statement quite a bit! Most universities would be more than happy with your score, other than the ukcat heavy uni's! Good luck :smile:

Not sure where you have got some of this information from but to dispell rumour to avoid people getting confused ...

Cardiff do not use the UKCAT until after interview, and even then they only use it in a couple of cases (out of over 400 post interview candidates). Hence cardiff can basically be classed as not using the UKCAT, any score can apply to cardiff providing they have they meet the strict academic cut offs to get an interview (this changes every year but for the past few years its been 8A*s and 1A to include core subjects).

Newcastle is notorious for requiring a high UKCAT and cut offs are often in the very high 600s or even 700s for some previous years. I would never recommend newcastle unless the UKCAT was above 680, even then below 700 i would deem risky for there.

Hope this clears things up to avoid confusion. All this info can be found in university admissions policies as well as further back on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Another poster above me has recommended some med schools, but they seem to have gotten a few things mixed up.

Avoid newcastle, exeter, southampton, kings and glasgow completely as you are very unlikely to meet their cut offs (usually the upper 600s). Also be wary of places like manchester and St George's, edinburgh and barts who use the UKCAT in conjunction with things, unless you have amazing academics or ps you will be unlikely to gain an interview.

Try to look for places that use the UKCAT as a small proportion of their scoring system or not at all such as bristol, Cardiff, sheffield, liecester, nottingham, cardiff, Uea, plymouth, liverpool, birmingham, qub. Because they only use the UKCAT as a small % of their scoring system they often use academics or personal statement very heavily. Im afraid your really going to struggle with this UKCAT score if you also have low GCSE grades (less than a couple of 6A/A* grades).

To combat this if you do have weaker grades why not try the BMAT? Universities such as lancaster, BSMS, leeds which use the BMAT.

Hope this helps, if you need anymorw advice feel free to PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much this helps a lot . I will be sure to PM you for more questions.
Some general advice I posted on last year's thread, I thought I would re-post it here in case it is relevant:

"Dear people who are in a state worrying over getting a 700+ UKCAT score,

Yes, I agree that it'd be nice to get such a score, after all it would strengthen your application to obtain an interview. You see, the thing with medicine is that having one strength on your application is not going to cut it when the universities select whose going to get an interview - you need more than one strength. So, if your score wasn't what you wanted initially, on your application my best advice is to really get across what strengths you do have, whether that be academic, work experience or volunteering. It is true to say that some universities select for interview by scoring your personal statement, whilst others prefer a systematic approach, filtering those out who fall just below par on academics and UKCAT. Last year, I got a UKCAT score of 614. In my opinion, it was a disappointing result, everyone has their own expectations of themselves after all. As a result of this, my UKCAT universities rejected me pre-interview. I wasn't given a chance to meet them in person. In the end, I received an outstanding...wait for it...4 rejections. This year, I attempted so many practice questions, and 'revised' smart and managed to, this week, get a score of 735. Now, this isn't to say that anyone who gets 614 or around that mark won't get into medicine, it's just that the statistics are more against you. Do not obsess over getting 700+, although it is nice, a great score, a really competitive one in my opinion is one that's around 640-650 and above. However do not quote me on this...remember...we are on TSR here...

Now, how did I manage to increase my average by over 100 points? First of all, get rid of the mentality that psychometric tests are something you can't revise for, or cannot improve on - that these tests absolutely determine your reasoning skills. Last year I did use Medify, but I chose to use it again, because I needed a bank of questions I could attempt on the computer. Now, some people get very sceptical about investing in resources - whether it'd be UKCAT courses, simulation mocks and other resources that provide a source of questions such as Medify. Here's my response: when you choose to pursue a career such as medicine (or dentistry), you need to be prepared to take risks and make investments if you need to. A two week access to Medify I think costs around £30. £30. You could think of this as a small, or large investment, but it could impact how prepared you are for the UKCAT and therefore how your application fairs amongst other candidates. Some other invest in courses, and if you are able to produce the funds, then it's OK. If not, then you'll need to prioritise the best resources available to you. I don't know for sure whether these course work, but I have friends who recommend them, and others who never significantly improved from them. So the decision is yours.

I tended to use the UKCAT 600 book a lot less this year, only referring to the tips and advice. The reason for this is that with a test such as the UKCAT, you mustn't become overwhelmed by the situation when you take your seat to do the test. It is a computerised test. You should aim in your practice to simulate as much of the real test as possible. Isolate yourself, no access to food and drink, proper timed conditions etc. What I would say is that the UKCAT 600 book is excellent for getting used to what you will be faced with and it contains gold standard advice about strategies for each section, especially abstract reasoning. Medify and Kaplan are great to get used to attempting questions in the appropriate time, improving speed and triaging questions. These are the most essential elements of the UKCAT - speed and triaging, i.e prioritising what questions to attempt based on their difficulty. Part of the challenge is figuring out which questions will take more time and those that won't. This challenge can only be overcome with practise.

And one more thing, to those that complain about 'oh I can't be asked to prepare today, oh I'll leave it for tonight or tomorrow', look, you're applying to medical school/dental school - every effort counts and can (and may I say will) make a difference.

Apologies for the very long post, it's just that I've seen soooo many posts about not getting a good score in mocks. And please don't take what I did as the absolute way to improve your score, people have different methods.

P.S. My final UKCAT score for this year was over 30 points higher than any other mock I'd done. In every mock I did, I kept getting around 640-690. And please, please, please practise with the onscreen calculator - you'll soon find that you can get really fast using it. I understand though that it's an absolute pain in the a*se.

Cheers."

I hope that's useful to even one person, you can do it!

There's some other great posts full of advice on this thread so I encourage reading further for more tips.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't let your dreams be dreams...just do it." - Shia LaBeouf
(edited 7 years ago)
VERY GOOD RESOURCE THANK YOU!!!!

ANY TIPS ON THE UKCAT? HOW WAS THE EXAM ROOM? WAS IT NOISY?

Who has made this resource? Is it a company, or a student, was it you?
Hey
Can anyone help me please? I have made account for the Ukcat but by mistake I made in US English but I need Uk English. And now I am booking the test but it is will be in us. Do you know how change?

Thanks

If you're worried about your score not being high enough there are a few unis that don't focus on the UKCAT that heavily. For instance, Cardiff only uses UKCAT in tie-break situation between candidates.

Another example is Dundee, which uses the UKCAT alongside academic record to rank for interview, so if you've got great GCSEs and A levels this would help.

There are many other universities which use the UKCAT like Dundee. Have a look at our free Medical School comparison tool to see how each university uses the UKCAT!

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending