The Student Room Group

No Money, Desperate

Scroll to see replies

as you will be wanting cash and hand work find a removals company. there is one I know who do short term contracts with big companies like sky to move there stuff to new offices and things. physical but you get pay each week and so will help you immediately
go to your food bank so you can at least start eating again, do you have anything you could sell to keep you afloat for a few weeks? unfortunately a job is unlikely to help at this point as it's going to take time to get started and even longer to actually get paid, unless you know anyone who might hire you for some odd jobs/babysitting and pay cash

ideally you need to try and work things out with your parents, crawl back, grovel, say you've made a terrible mistake and now you haven't eaten in days and you don't know how to fix it and hope they come through, if they won't you might have to try and get home (if that's an option) and give up on the research
Original post by RoseGreen15
Hello, I'm currently doing research at the University I'm at over the summer and my parents agreed to support me over the summer. We've since had a disagreement and they've withdrawn their financial support. I have about £10 to my name, my electric is about to run out, I haven't eaten for 2 days now and no idea how I'm going to survive and pay my rent. I've tried to extend my overdraft but the bank declined, I've been refused loans and credit cards, no family/friends I can borrow from, the University can't help as their discretionary fund isn't open till September again, I'm not eligible for any benefits as a student, and am applying for every job I can find and selling everything I own, but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really desperate and scared.

What was it with your parents I am sure you can sort it with them
So no response from the OP in 4 days.
What kind of parents would let their child live like this?? Over any kind of disagreement??
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to uni in 4 weeks time and I'm making my own way there since I'm embarrassed because these people who I've lived with for so many years.

Hope you get sorted I think you just have to push through it, what can you do?
Original post by neal95
do webcam vids or sell pictures etc to people you don't know online lol. in all seriousness you could get a loan from somewhere okay the interest rates aren't nice but if you desperately need the cash now when you get your loan you can pay it back and I doubt the interest if you borrow say 4-500 pounds will be more than a hundred quid

it more like borrow 500 pay back at least 750 maybe a lot more
Original post by jamesthehustler
it more like borrow 500 pay back at least 750 maybe a lot more

Ok but if you need the cash, can't get credit, have no overdraft facility then what else can you do......all about managing the cash flow and if this person needs to do that for whatever reason then it's an option
Apologise to your parents if you think you were wrong. Otherwise, just make clear how serious your situation is, and ask them if they're really going to put their child on the street by going back on their word over whatever it was.
Original post by neal95
Ok but if you need the cash, can't get credit, have no overdraft facility then what else can you do......all about managing the cash flow and if this person needs to do that for whatever reason then it's an option

the worst option I have heard people borrow 500 and lose their home, car and possessions
the worst option I have heard people borrow 500 and lose their home, car and possessions

this person is living with their parents and therefore there parents property cant be confiscated because of the child's debt. its not the ideal option but its not as bad as your making out. no one likes large amounts of interest but if needs must then its a viable option
Original post by neal95
this person is living with their parents and therefore there parents property cant be confiscated because of the child's debt. its not the ideal option but its not as bad as your making out. no one likes large amounts of interest but if needs must then its a viable option

I know a guy who started with a loan of 5000 and it ended up cost him his house, 5 cars and several pieces of fine jewellery and watches
I know a guy who started with a loan of 5000 and it ended up cost him his house, 5 cars and several pieces of fine jewellery and watches

And his credit rating is probably completely screwed.
Gotta hustle init. Work the roads.
Original post by Tiger Rag
And his credit rating is probably completely screwed.

well he went from a £1,000,000 house, a range rover vogue, a land rover discovery, a Bentley Mulsanne, an Aston martin vantage and a Porsche 911 along with 10 Rolexes and several gold chains to living in a Suzuki hatchback with a couple of small gold chains and a Cartier Santos
well he went from a £1,000,000 house, a range rover vogue, a land rover discovery, a Bentley Mulsanne, an Aston martin vantage and a Porsche 911 along with 10 Rolexes and several gold chains to living in a Suzuki hatchback with a couple of small gold chains and a Cartier Santos

So he needed a 5000 loan and ended up having to sell multiple cars worth more than 100,000 each and watches worth thousands just to pay off the interest on a 5000 loan. I admit the interest rate they charge is ridiculous but I am calling ******** on that one
Original post by LPauling
So he needed a 5000 loan and ended up having to sell multiple cars worth more than 100,000 each and watches worth thousands just to pay off the interest on a 5000 loan. I admit the interest rate they charge is ridiculous but I am calling ******** on that one

admittedly not new cars the Bentley was an 82, a land rover a 02, the range rover a 91 the Porsche an '88 and the aston was '06
the Rolexes were mostly 60's and 70's steel models so were worth about £500-1000 each
the gold chain were way out of fashion so just furnaced stuff
admittedly not new cars the Bentley was an 82, a land rover a 02, the range rover a 91 the Porsche an '88 and the aston was '06
the Rolexes were mostly 60's and 70's steel models so were worth about £500-1000 each
the gold chain were way out of fashion so just furnaced stuff

So he had 10 watches worth between 500 and 1000 which would cover the original loan and surely even one of his cars would cover the insurance as an 82 Bentley is worth around 12000???! So why he had to sell all his cars and his house doesn't ring true
Reply 38
Sell things!
apply for takeaways/restaurants (did i spell that right? lol), go around your neighbourhood and ask if they need their dog/cat walking or maybe their garden cleaned? sell your clothes/gadgets on places like ebay, depop, etsy. sell your car (if you have one), sell your phone (if you think it's worth it). i'm sorry but i've now ran out of ideas. :L hope this helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending