The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Modify bought, UKCAT booked. 4th October.

Worried already.
Original post by AdamCW
Modify bought, UKCAT booked. 4th October.

Worried already.

Hi AdamCW

Don't be worried! You have allowed yourself plenty of time to prepare, which is fantastic!

Set yourself a schedule for prep that builds up to a few hours per day in the weeks leading up to your test date, this could take the form of practice on your own or as part of a course.

Also, make sure you have the most up to date and comprehensive resources available to help you to put yourself into the best position to succeed.

Give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with!

UniAdmissions
Okay guys, UKCAT on the 18th and I'm still very crap, although I've improved. Struggling so hard with VR :frown:. Send some advice and success stories (for inspiration haha) my way if you guys have any, Goodluck to everyone!
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi AdamCW

Don't be worried! You have allowed yourself plenty of time to prepare, which is fantastic!

Set yourself a schedule for prep that builds up to a few hours per day in the weeks leading up to your test date, this could take the form of practice on your own or as part of a course.

Also, make sure you have the most up to date and comprehensive resources available to help you to put yourself into the best position to succeed.

Give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with!

UniAdmissions

Thanks for the advice. I'm still debating whether to take the GAMSAT too though or put all my strength into UKCAT.
Reply 964
For the SJT what banding does partial scoring fall under.*

So what band would I be in if i get 13 correct, 10 partially correct and 2 incorrect??Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 18.53.27.png*
Original post by eilidhchambe
Hiya, not sure if i've said anything here before but...
I am studying Tropical Disease Biology at UoL (Thoroughly enjoying it), I have very modest GCSEs and A levels (ABC), and so I'm worried about my application. I'm trying to apply tactfully as I've been incredibly lucky to have a fair amount of experience.

I'm thinking
Newcastle 5 year
Southampton 4/5year
Warwick 4 year

if anyone could shed any light on to whether you have more chance on the 5 year courses as a graduate (due to having the degree) or less (do they prioritise school leavers), then that would be fab! Finances isnt a massive issue for me.

However it is all dependant on how well I do on the UKCAT.

so.. any tips for the UKCAT?
any other universities that are UKCAT and do not pay too much regard to before university?
and also any tips in general for the application? I've built up a portfolio of my work experience, (Warwick wanted 70 hours of 'hands on' work, which I have got but its pretty tenuous as 'hands on'). If i get a poor UKCAT I'll probably ditch Newcastle (cut off in 2014 of 750!!!) and will have to apply elsewhere. any suggestions?

Also does anybody think my degree will give me a bit of a niche? or do you think its not a big deal? so worried about my application and i really want to 'stand out' but i'm finding it incredibly difficult to find something 1000s of applicants don't already have!

Don't apply to Southampton if your UKCAT isn't good-they invite to interview solely based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 966
Hey everyone i'm a current GEM student. Just wondering if anyone has any questions that they answered? Kind regards, GMG Team.
Reply 967
Original post by Indy108
All this UKCAT talk is making me depressed, I can't get any higher than 610 and my test's next week 😭

Good luck with your test. Wish you all the best!
For graduate medicine, how much funding can you apply for to cover your degree??
Reply 969
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Okay guys, UKCAT on the 18th and I'm still very crap, although I've improved. Struggling so hard with VR :frown:. Send some advice and success stories (for inspiration haha) my way if you guys have any, Goodluck to everyone!

Done most of my technique practice in books. Did well on mocks in books. 2nd day of using Medify and my AR performance is not good at all when timed. VR in practice timed, leaves me with no option but to guess! which is obvs not the right technique, BUT im actually getting more right than wrong..

QR, best to not comment. *
How is your practice coming along? you still have time. Good luck*
Reply 970
Original post by anaMed17w
For graduate medicine, how much funding can you apply for to cover your degree??

Hi Ana Med

It differs from year to year. Below is a breakdown:

In year 1 you are required to pay £3,465 of your tuition fees yourself. The remainder £5,535, you can apply to student finance for.

In years 2, 3 and 4. You apply to NHS bursary to pay the £3,465 and student finance the remainder.

For living costs etc. In year 1 you apply for a means tested allowance from student finance which will differ depending on your situation.

In years 2, 3 and 4, you can get the minimum from student finance which works out to be 3 payments of between £700-£800. The rest then comes from NHS bursary and depending on your circumstances can range from £80-£400 per month for all 12 months of the year. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions just message me on here.

£
£

Hi aspiringmedic123

You still have a few weeks to go so don't panic!

My advice is to stick with it and make sure you are setting aside a few hours each day in the weeks leading up to your test to practise as much as possible.

Can I ask what you are using to help you with your prep?

Give me a shout if you would like any more specific tips... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Hi aspiringmedic123

You still have a few weeks to go so don't panic!

My advice is to stick with it and make sure you are setting aside a few hours each day in the weeks leading up to your test to practise as much as possible.

Can I ask what you are using to help you with your prep?

Give me a shout if you would like any more specific tips... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Original post by gmg2710

In years 2, 3 and 4, you can get the minimum from student finance which works out to be 3 payments of between £700-£800. The rest then comes from NHS bursary and depending on your circumstances can range from £80-£400 per month for all 12 months of the year.

Is it expected that we would work through years 2-4 because that seems incredibly low? Like not even covering rent low.
Reply 974
Original post by Quilverine
Is it expected that we would work through years 2-4 because that seems incredibly low? Like not even covering rent low.

The finance situation for graduate medicine is pretty poor. You can apply for other bursaries from the university etc. But for most this will be the financial situation. You can only get £400 a month from NHS bursary if you can prove financial independence or your means tested puts you in that category.

Job wise. I work 3 nights a week at a pub to fund myself.
Original post by gmg2710
The finance situation for graduate medicine is pretty poor.

Yikes. Life was quite comfortable on undergrad, feeling a bit apprehensive about the next 4 years now.
Reply 976
Original post by gmg2710
Hi Ana Med

In year 1 you are required to pay £3,465 of your tuition fees yourself. The remainder £5,535, you can apply to student finance for.

In years 2, 3 and 4. You apply to NHS bursary to pay the £3,465 and student finance the remainder.

For living costs etc. In year 1 you apply for a means tested allowance from student finance which will differ depending on your situation.

In years 2, 3 and 4, you can get the minimum from student finance which works out to be 3 payments of between £700-£800. The rest then comes from NHS bursary and depending on your circumstances can range from £80-£400 per month for all 12 months of the year. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions just message me on here.

£
£

Thanks for this break down. Its probably the 1st time I've understood the whole fees and funding easily.

However, I wasn't aware that student finance help towards living cost as well as tuition. Or have I not understood properly?

Thanks*
Reply 977
Original post by Quilverine
Yikes. Life was quite comfortable on undergrad, feeling a bit apprehensive about the next 4 years now.

Its not too bad, but definitely not as comfortable as undergrad. If you need anything else just message me on here.

Graduate Medicine Guide Team
Reply 978
Original post by hopefuldoctor
I've heard Newcastle look at UKCAT and what you've achieved/predicted in your degree but not 100% sure, if I'm wrong anyone can feel free to correct me :smile:

Newcastle identify people that meet their academic thresholds and then rank those by UKCAT scores. The top 45% will normally go through to the next stage. They do also have a cut off point which in 2014 was 745. Due to the changes in how UKCAT scores are given now though I would aim for a minimum of 725 average or 2050 combined.

Hope this helps.

Graduate Medicine Guide Team
Original post by gmg2710
Hi Ana Med

£
£

Thank you! Guess i would have to get a part-time job too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending