The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh its a maths competition for American Unis. Olympids for Uni basically. The winners are normally all IMO gold medalists form USA China a far east etc and MIT normally wins overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you anything about vieta jumping cos I have no idea how to use it...apparently its a shortcuut
Original post by 11234
Do you anything about vieta jumping cos I have no idea how to use it...apparently its a shortcuut

Vieta jumping is basically when we have number theory division problems mainly and we minimise a+b (a,b) solutions and we use this to get polynomials which we then solve useful relations to eventually solve the problem.
It is very powerful.
This sums it up very nicely
http://www.yimin-ge.com/doc/VietaJumping.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vieta jumping is basically when we have number theory division problems mainly and we minimise a+b (a,b) solutions and we use this to get polynomials which we then solve useful relations to eventually solve the problem.
It is very powerful.
This sums it up very nicely
http://www.yimin-ge.com/doc/VietaJumping.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats a nice result actually, never heard of it. Im guessing its less common in olympiad stuff nowadays cus its more well known?
Original post by EnglishMuon
thats a nice result actually, never heard of it. Im guessing its less common in olympiad stuff nowadays cus its more well known?

Not really though the method of a+b minimsed is extremely common across competition across the world. A similar method is used in inequalities where we fix one variable say 'x' and then we have some constraints like x+y+z=1 and we have deltax +x etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel inadequate whenever maths talk happens
Original post by C0balt

Just ignore it
Yeh its a maths competition for American Unis. Olympids for Uni basically. The winners are normally all IMO gold medalists form USA China a far east etc and MIT normally wins overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah Harvard has more wins
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C0balt

Me too
Original post by Student403

Thats from back in the day.
Now MIT is the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C0balt

If only I knew what inadequate means.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If only I knew what inadequate means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll use it in a sentence. Your grasp of the English language is inadequate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
I'll use it in a sentence. Your grasp of the English language is inadequate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your grasp of Mathematics is inadequate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too far bruv

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1693

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you come across projective geometry, I saw it in a problem and was wondering how it works? Any tips/links?
Original post by drandy76

Tis joke.
Look at my use of 'tis' this is proper english ygm. 🌝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tis joke.
Look at my use of 'tis' this is proper english ygm. 🌝

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** English fam, we should just speak in maths notation, would be so lit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403

only cus we arent apart of it. otherwise TSR mathmos 1st, rest of Cambridge 2nd, inferior muricans = last.
It's so sad when you're out shopping and see a fit dress on sale that would be perfect for formals but don't know if you should buy it yet :frown:
Thats from back in the day.Now MIT is the best.Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they've won the recent ones

Original post by EnglishMuon
only cus we arent apart of it. otherwise TSR mathmos 1st, rest of Cambridge 2nd, inferior Oxfordians = last.

corrected :wink:
Original post by Serine Soul
It's so sad when you're out shopping and see a fit dress on sale that would be perfect for formals but don't know if you should buy it yet :frown:

^^^kms feeling

Latest