The Student Room Group

Medicine - Which A-Level subjects to take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orlanda
Hardly any medical schools in the UK require more than 2 sciences at A Level, ie, they want just Chem and Biology.

However, it may be a good idea to take maths to AS level as this could help with any aptitude tests (UKCAT and/or BMAT) you may have to take. Both these tests require maths to GCSE level but taking maths as a subject in Year 12 will keep your maths skills going and make this a potentially easier process.

That being said, maths AS isn't at all compulsory, universities don't generally 'look' for it in their candidates.

I'm in the process of choosing whether to take Maths for A2 next year instead of Theatre Studies. We shall see on the 18th :redface:

Do you think AS Maths would substantially help me during the BMAT/UKCAT? If I didn't do maths do you think I'd be massively disadvantaged?
Original post by TomSuffolk
Do you think AS Maths would substantially help me during the BMAT/UKCAT? If I didn't do maths do you think I'd be massively disadvantaged?

You really wouldn't be massively disadvantaged without maths AS at all, i had it and it didnt help me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
You really wouldn't be massively disadvantaged without maths AS at all, i had it and it didnt help me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subjects did you take, and what Grades did you get? And do you think my A-Level subjects are good enough to get into medicine, or should I take Maths to be safe?
Original post by 2000rules
Mate you will need math for most universities offering medicine. An ideal combination would be biology chemistry physics and maths. However try writing to your university and ask for A level requirements.
Good luck!

I was originally going to take these subjects however I think I'd be needlessly taking difficult subjects, biting off more than I can chew and shooting myself in the foot because I'd most likely get worse grades if I did all of these together
Which subjects did you take, and what Grades did you get? And do you think my A-Level subjects are good enough to get into medicine, or should I take Maths to be safe?

I took biology, chemistry and geography to A2 and got A*AA, i wouldn't have achieved this if i had done maths.

My best advice is take the subjects you enjoy, unless you want to go to cambridge you do not need maths or physics, so your better taking subjects you enjoy rather than ones just because of medicine, when in reality alevel maths was no help at all to my application, and was just unnecessary stress.

Taking maths for medicine does not make you "safe", providing you take chemistry and biology you are then able to apply to 99% of medical schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took biology, chemistry and geography to A2 and got A*AA, i wouldn't have achieved this if i had done maths.

My best advice is take the subjects you enjoy, unless you want to go to cambridge you do not need maths or physics, so your better taking subjects you enjoy rather than ones just because of medicine, when in reality alevel maths was no help at all to my application, and was just unnecessary stress.

Taking maths for medicine does not make you "safe", providing you take chemistry and biology you are then able to apply to 99% of medical schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou this was really helpful :smile:
But do you think that my application would be weaker that than of someone taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths because these subjects are more difficult? Or do they really not mind

If it isnt specified, they don't mind. It really IS that simple.
I intend to take both Chemistry and Biology to A2 as I know these are required, I also plan to take Psychology to A2 because I find it interesting

However I'm unsure whether to take either Sociology, Maths or Physics as my fourth AS subject.

My preference is Sociology however I fear that it isn't as "respectable" as Physics and Maths and it may hinder my chances of being accepted into a medicine course

Are Physics/Maths (a third science subject) really that important?

And overall are these A-Level choices correct for medicine: Chemistry, Biology Psychology, Sociology?

Hi TomSuffolk

As others have said, you won't be at a disadvantage for not taking maths.

Chemistry is essential for going on to study medicine with Biology strongly recommended. You have already decided on both of these, so you're all good on that front!

What you choose for your third or fourth subjects is really entirely up to you and your decision should be based on what subjects you will enjoy most as this will give you a much better chance of getting good results.

Maths and Physics are useful if you are considering applying for Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course, however, they are by no means essential and you really can choose whatever subjects you want.

I hope that is of use to you... do give me a shout if we can help with anything else.

UniAdmissions
I intend to take both Chemistry and Biology to A2 as I know these are required, I also plan to take Psychology to A2 because I find it interesting

However I'm unsure whether to take either Sociology, Maths or Physics as my fourth AS subject.

My preference is Sociology however I fear that it isn't as "respectable" as Physics and Maths and it may hinder my chances of being accepted into a medicine course

Are Physics/Maths (a third science subject) really that important?

And overall are these A-Level choices correct for medicine: Chemistry, Biology Psychology, Sociology?

Maths would be more suitable 4th option in my opinion as it can show you are more academically capable. Physics is also a good option however i would only be recommended to take it if you have maths with it. Overall both are very respectable and challenging hence they can both show that you are capable.
So if only Biology and Chemistry are required:

Then somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology will stand just as much of a chance as somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?

But when deciding between 2 applicants most will prefer 3 Sciences and Maths over 2 sciences and 2 social sciences provided that both students acquired same or equivalent A2 grades and other academic requirements
Original post by jayeshforce1
But when deciding between 2 applicants most will prefer 3 Sciences and Maths over 2 sciences and 2 social sciences provided that both students acquired same or equivalent A2 grades and other academic requirements

Not true they will go for who has the best personal statement, better UKCAT/BMAT or if they really cannot decide they invite both to interview and see how they score.

Where do people invent these ludicrous unwritten rules? They are just not true at all! Take whatever subjects you want, i have seen unis take candidates who had humanities/social sciences over candidates who had maths because they were better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths would be more suitable 4th option in my opinion as it can show you are more academically capable. Physics is also a good option however i would only be recommended to take it if you have maths with it. Overall both are very respectable and challenging hence they can both show that you are capable.

But sociology and psychology are just as respected by the medical schools and they are also more relevant to the future degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not true they will go for who has the best personal statement, better UKCAT/BMAT or if they really cannot decide they invite both to interview and see how they score.

Where do people invent these ludicrous unwritten rules? They are just not true at all! Take whatever subjects you want, i have seen unis take candidates who had humanities/social sciences over candidates who had maths because they were better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this may be unrelated, but I'm worried that even if get get the grades I might just be flat out rejected by all of my Universities without even having an interview? Is it common for people to receive absolutely no offers?
But sociology and psychology are just as respected by the medical schools and they are also more relevant to the future degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily true. During medicine you learn majority of the topics from the ground up. Having basic knowledge of a certain A level subject wouldn't give one a substantial advantage. After all it all comes down to how one can grasp knowledge and how he/she applies it. It is also important to consider how crucial it can be to have a broad science a level armory if one does not make his/her medicine offer. They can literally apply for any other science based course whether thats chemical engineering or biochemistry etc.
I know this may be unrelated, but I'm worried that even if get get the grades I might just be flat out rejected by all of my Universities without even having an interview? Is it common for people to receive absolutely no offers?

which where having 3 sciences and maths can help one. One can praticaly apply for any other science based degree whether engineering or biochemistry etc...

65% of all applicants to medicine receive no offers, most only receive 1.

Its all about applying to your strengths, just getting the basic requirements wont cut it as everyone has that, you need to stand out (so good UKCAT/BMAT, good work experience etc.)

Try not to worry, just apply wisely and only apply to places where your likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily true. During medicine you learn majority of the topics from the ground up. Having basic knowledge of a certain A level subject wouldn't give one a substantial advantage. After all it all comes down to how one can grasp knowledge and how he/she applies it. It is also important to consider how crucial it can be to have a broad science a level armory if one does not make his/her medicine offer. They can literally apply for any other science based course whether thats chemical engineering or biochemistry etc.

I could apply for all other science degrees bar engineering (engineering from medicine is a bit of a strange move) and physics with chemistry and biology, so no not really unless your unsure about medicine.

Again not true, having just completed my first year at med school i can tell you that a prior knowledge (all be it more basic) is required in biology, and the people who took psychology and sociology were at an advantage when we studied them as they teach it so whirlwind fast!

I use basic GCSE maths and stats, and basic GCSE physics, yet i have used Alevel psychology and sociology, so i deem them way way more relevant to my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
65% of all applicants to medicine receive no offers, most only receive 1.

Its all about applying to your strengths, just getting the basic requirements wont cut it as everyone has that, you need to stand out (so good UKCAT/BMAT, good work experience etc.)

Try not to worry, just apply wisely and only apply to places where your likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find that figure really worrying because I can't think of anything else I'd want to do apart from Medicine

Is there anything you did personally to stand out, that was useful for you?
I find that figure really worrying because I can't think of anything else I'd want to do apart from Medicine

Is there anything you did personally to stand out, that was useful for you?

It is worrying to every applicant, your not alone. I went 4.5 months without hearing a thing but im there now!

I just ensured i tried hard on my UKCAT (got 675 which is perfectly respectable), and had good work experience and voluntary work to reflect on. For me what stood out was my GCSE grades (9A* 1A) and that allowed me to apply to cardiff where i am now going into my second year.

Just take my advice and ensure you meet all the requirements and cut offs for interviews before you apply to a uni. Read the small print (it does exist) and try not to get caught in a trap! Universities admissions policies are not always clear cut so make sure you are very likely to get an interview at everywjere you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is worrying to every applicant, your not alone. I went 4.5 months without hearing a thing but im there now!

I just ensured i tried hard on my UKCAT (got 675 which is perfectly respectable), and had good work experience and voluntary work to reflect on. For me what stood out was my GCSE grades (9A* 1A) and that allowed me to apply to cardiff where i am now going into my second year.

Just take my advice and ensure you meet all the requirements and cut offs for interviews before you apply to a uni. Read the small print (it does exist) and try not to get caught in a trap! Universities admissions policies are not always clear cut so make sure you are very likely to get an interview at everywjere you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whereas I'm only expecting 6A* and 3A at GCSE (AT BEST) So I feel like this already puts me below the majority of the competition

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending