The Student Room Group

How does being concerned about spread of Islam in the West make someone far-right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
I don't support a far-right ideology and never have. The ideology of Islam, like the ideologies of both Christianity and Judaism are all very right wing. Some far right Christians shoot up abortion clinics, I don't blame ordinary peaceful Christians and nor should I.

However I will never accept ordinary Muslims who've done nothing wrong being blamed for or punished for the acts of despicable terrorists. That's where we differ.

One of the great pulls for young Muslims into the arms of extremists is a feeling that they are not wanted or trusted here and that's down to people like you.

By all means throw the book at the disgusting terrorists, but suggesting that we should ban 1.6 billion people from a country because of the acts of a few terrorists, really is fascism in action.

On the other hand, you will ignore polls conducted by highly respected non-partisan bodies that show that a majority of Muslims worldwide are extraordinarily conservative and right-wing if it means you get to keep pushing your baseless conjecture about how the vast majority of Muslims are "moderates" and "peaceful".
Original post by KingBradly
On the other hand, you will ignore polls conducted by highly respected non-partisan bodies that show that a majority of Muslims worldwide are extraordinarily conservative and right-wing if it means you get to keep pushing your baseless conjecture about how the vast majority of Muslims are "moderates" and "peaceful".

Being right wing or even 'extraordinarily conservative' does not make one guilty for the crimes of others. They can think what they want. I don't agree with having a thought police. What matters is what they do and the vast, vast majority are peaceful and do not commit atrocities and crimes.

If polls were as reliable as you make out then Ed Miliband would be Prime Minister and we would never have voted to leave the EU.

Polls very often have deliberately misleading or vague questioning which can easily be spun, just as the Sun did when they claimed 800% of Muslims loved Isis..

By all means throw the book at terrorists and string them up, by all means call them evil, but never blame ordinary, innocent Muslims for the acts of terrorists.

That's a fundamental humanitarian principle, we don't blame people for what they haven't done. Banning 1.6 billion Muslims from entering a country because of the actions of a few extremists is punishing people for what they haven't done.

And do you not think that if we do that, it makes the lure of Islamic extremism far greater?

I'm opposed to the terrorists as much as you are. The difference is I don't want to punish innocent people for their crimes.
Now do tell me, what part of my reasoning is 'far right'?
(edited 7 years ago)
Except polls very often have deliberately misleading or vague questionning which can easily be spun, just as the Sun did when they claimed 800% of Muslims loved Isis..

But PEW isn't The Sun. It doesn't have an agenda. There are polls in that very same survey that are used by people to show how few Muslims support terrorism. The only thing tainting those polls for you is your perspective on them because of your agenda. If you look at the methodology, if you learn a little about PEW, you'll see they're almost certainly highly informative.

They can think what they want. I don't agree with a thought police. What matters is what they do and the vast, vast majority are peaceful and do not commit atrocities and crimes.

By all means throw the book at terrorists and string them up, by all means call them evil, but never blame ordinary, innocent Muslims for the acts of terrorists.

I'm not interested in terrorists. But I do worry that a people with such consistently ultra-conservative views perhaps may clash with our liberal society. I don't see why those views shouldn't be criticised as much as possible to expose them and make people turn away from them.

That's a fundamental humanitarian principle, we don't blame people for what they haven't done. Banning 1.6 billion Muslims from entering a country because of the actions of a few extremists is punishing people for what they haven't done.

Not allowing people into the country isn't punishing people, because being allowed in is a privilege. Supposing that by allowing masses of people in from countries like Syria or Afghanistan may harm your liberal society is not exactly outlandish. Just look at Germany. Politicians telling women to cover up and be extra cautious because they may get assaulted by migrants in the street, and women afraid to go to swimming pools because of the amounts of sexual assaults that are committed there by migrants. Or in a less direct way, France, where terror attacks have put it into a state of emergency, and parents are not allowed to go into school with their kids, schools trips have been cancelled, and music festivals too. This is stuff that's really happening, as a result of large populations of Muslims in the country.

Consider this Karl Popper quote: "Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

And do you not think that if we do that, it makes the lure of Islamic extremism far greater?

The amount of stigma and political rhetoric against fascism in Europe since WW2 has meant that only tiny minorities of people support it. I don't see why such pressure against Islamism wouldn't do a similar thing.

Now do tell me, what part of my reasoning is 'far right'?

It isn't. But you have avoided that fact that you do rather pander to, or at least deflect criticism from, a far-right ideology and a far-right demographic, even if claim to be against it.
(edited 7 years ago)
But PEW isn't The Sun. It doesn't have an agenda. There are polls in that very same survey that are used by people to show how few Muslims support terrorism. The only thing tainting those polls for you is your perspective on them because of your agenda. If you look at the methodology, if you learn a little about PEW, you'll see they're almost certainly highly informative.

The Sun didn't carry out the poll, they reported on it inaccurately. I don't use polls to show that few Muslims are terrorists, I use the fact that the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not carry out terrorist attacks.

I'm not interested in terrorists. But I do worry that a people with such consistently ultra-conservative views perhaps may clash with our liberal society. I don't see why those views shouldn't be criticised as much as possible to expose them and make people turn away from them.

I don't care what people think. I don't want a thought police. As much as you might wish evil thoughts were a crime, they are not. As long as they are not committing crimes or carrying out acts of terror it doesn't matter what their views are. That's what you call a tolerant society. I disagree immensely with the conservatives, doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed in the country.

Not allowing people into the country isn't punishing people, because being allowed in is a privilege.

Nice spin. Not allowing an entire group of people in because of the acts of a few despicable extremists is punishing people for what they haven't done and I don't agree with doing that.

The amount of stigma and political rhetoric against fascism in Europe since WW2 has meant that only tiny minorities of people support it. I don't see why such pressure against Islamism wouldn't do a similar thing.

If we blame all innocent Muslims and stigmatise them for the acts of terrorists you make them feel unwanted, isolated and unwelcome. That's the breeding ground for extremism.

It isn't. But you have avoided that fact that you do rather pander to, or at least deflect criticism from, a far-right ideology and a far-right demographic, even if claim to be against it.

I've never avoided criticizing ultra-conservative views, I just don't think that innocent people should be punished for the acts of others whatever their views are.
Original post by Vesniep
I think it's pretty valid to claim that far-right implies anti-Islam .
far-right => anti-Islam
Now far-right doesn't just mean anti-Islam . They are against immigrants in general (especially the ones with an 'inferior' nationality such as Romanians for Nigel Farage , while Germans are fine as neighbors ) .

However anti-Islam DOES NOT IMPLY far-right . It means you are a sensible Westerner!
Islam is an ideology , anti-Islam the opposition to that ideology . My opinion :Anyone who is in favour of progress (and is sensible) would be against Islam (since the whole ideology refers to a backward society ) .

Anti-Islam doesn't mean you are against muslims as citizents of Western countries . For me it means that I want them to change and adjust to our societies . Back laws against Islam (not against muslims) ; minimise faith schools ( do not fund them at least !), try to distribute them uniformly in your country , do not fund any religious institution (whatever that is) .

Of course Islam is a problem but far-right is not the solution. They seem to make more sense , because they provide a solution to that problem (a problem that more liberal parties ignore) but that doesn't mean they won't continue their plans ; build up walls , be against immigrants .

I agree with large parts of that but there is a difference between a Romanian and a German in the example you used.

The German is likely to be far more similar in every way to a British person than a Romanian and more likely to be better off too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They both tend to hate Jews, they both view those who don't subscribe to their ideology as less than human, they both have complete contempt for LGBT and the idea of womens' rights.
Original post by Vesniep
I think it's pretty valid to claim that far-right implies anti-Islam .
far-right => anti-Islam

That's actually not necessarily true. There are many on the neo-Nazi far right who view Muslims as freedom fighters against the "Jewish conspiracy", and praise their attacks on the "ZOG" (Zionist Occupation Government, which is their name for the US government... that's right, not Israel, it's what they call the American government)
Original post by RayApparently
As long as you're able to distinguish between Islam (the disturbing and archaic religion) and Muslims (ordinary people who shouldn't be treated differently to you or me) then you're golden.

Actually, we critics of Islam tend to be the people who actually do make that distinction.

It's many Muslims themselves and left-wing fellow travellers who assert that criticism of Islam equals hatred of Muslims.
Original post by AlexanderHam
Actually, we critics of Islam tend to be the people who actually do make that distinction.

It's many Muslims themselves and left-wing fellow travellers who assert that criticism of Islam equals hatred of Muslims.

If you go up to a religious person and tell them why their religion is bad the probably would feel like you were attacking them. But the reason this debate isn't so difficult to have isn't because of Muslims and the 'left-wing' it's because of these guys:

And these:

If you go up to a religious person and tell them why their religion is bad the probably would feel like you were attacking them. But the reason this debate isn't so difficult to have isn't because of Muslims and the 'left-wing' it's because of these guys:

What a dishonest and obnoxious post.

First, religious people need to get the **** over it. In a democracy we are entitled to criticise ideas. Religion is not a race, and a religious person is not entitled to shriek "Wacist!" simply because you pointed out the glaring flaws and bigoted core ideology of their belief system. All theistic religions are backward, superstitious and regressive, but it's only Islam that is the almost exclusive source, at present, of worldwide chaos, mayhem, murder, mass rape, suicide bombing and enslavement.

Second, it's utterly pathetic for you to imply that criticism of Islam means you're some kind of BNP member and that their position makes criticism of Islam impermissible. It suggests a complete lack of intellectual substance behind your position, and a preference for fraudulent accusations of neo-Nazi associations over genuine engagement and discourse. Not to mention it's a fundamental logic fail; the fact that neo-Nazis also criticise Islam has no actual bearing on the validity of criticisms and you don't get to cry "Look the far-right also crticises Islam" to shut down any critique of this backward religion.

I oppose the fascistic, misogynist, homophobic, intolerant, violent character of Islam because I am a humanist social democrat, and Islam is fundamentally incompatible with civilised democracy. That doesn't mean every Muslim is a bad person or they subscribe to every regressive element of their religion, but equally that has no actual bearing on the underlying nature of Islam and it is no defence to a critique of the religion and its tendency to encourage violence and strife.
(edited 7 years ago)
What a dishonest and obnoxious post.

First, religious people need to get the **** over it. In a democracy we are entitled to criticise ideas. Religion is not a race, and a religious person is not entitled to shriek "Wacist!" simply because you pointed out the glaring flaws and bigoted core ideology of their belief system. All theistic religions are backward, superstitious and regressive, but it's only Islam that is the almost exclusive source, at present, of worldwide chaos, mayhem, murder, mass rape, suicide bombing and enslavement.

Second, it's utterly pathetic for you to imply that criticism of Islam means you're some kind of BNP member and that their position makes criticism of Islam impermissible. It suggests a complete lack of intellectual substance behind your position, and a preference for fraudulent accusations of neo-Nazi associations over genuine engagement and discourse. Not to mention it's a fundamental logic fail; the fact that neo-Nazis also criticise Islam has no actual bearing on the validity of criticisms and you don't get to cry "Look the far-right also crticises Islam" to shut down any critique of this backward religion.

I oppose the fascistic, misogynist, homophobic, intolerant, violent character of Islam because I am a humanist social democrat, and Islam is fundamentally incompatible with civilised democracy. That doesn't mean every Muslim is a bad person or they subscribe to every regressive element of their religion, but equally that has no actual bearing on the underlying nature of Islam.

It sounds like you're the one getting sensitive and obnoxious. I did not say that criticising Islam made you a BNP member (you'll notice I criticised the archaic religion myself earlier in this thread). What I said was that the existence of such organisations has made the debate 'difficult to have'. Which is your exact point, no? Read the post, don't just look at the pictures. These fascistic, far-right groups have corrupted the debate and prevented meaningful dialogue on the subject of Islam, religion and their place in society by allowing people who want to have a sensible, intelligent discussion get smeared.
It doesn't so long as you accept people who are of different ethnic or cultural backgrounds who still respect the rights of others.
That's actually not necessarily true. There are many on the neo-Nazi far right who view Muslims as freedom fighters against the "Jewish conspiracy", and praise their attacks on the "ZOG" (Zionist Occupation Government, which is their name for the US government... that's right, not Israel, it's what they call the American government)

I do find it very strange the level to which the Saudis and their followers in the West subscribe to conspiracy theories invented by neo-Nazis. If a White speaker got up on strange and started blithering on about how the Jews run the government and the banks and that Western countries are being controlled so that they act in the interests of Israel he would laughed off as a mindless quack, yet people such as Low Key promote this ******** and apparently these people are highly aware truthtellers.
Original post by paul514
I agree with large parts of that but there is a difference between a Romanian and a German in the example you used.

The German is likely to be far more similar in every way to a British person than a Romanian and more likely to be better off too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that's to say what exactly ?
Assuming that Nigel Farage is quiet rich his neighbor would be rich as well .
There is a strong correlation between wealth and education so chances are the Romanian could be as educated and similar as the German is.
My point is this : similarity ( at least in the West) is due to wealth not nationality . Germans are richer than Romanians that's why they appear to have more in common with British (who are also rich).
However a rich Romanian (who could afford to buy a house in the same neighbourhood with Farage) could be as similar as a German is to a British.
He would still prefer a German . Therefore , he thinks that nationality is something that determines you as a person ; it's wrong to be a Romanian and no matter how educated (which is very likely for rich people) and rich you are , you are still a Romanian .
It sounds like you're the one getting sensitive and obnoxious. I did not say that criticising Islam made you a BNP member

These fascistic, far-right groups have corrupted the debate and prevented meaningful dialogue on the subject of Islam, religion and their place in society by allowing people who want to have a sensible, intelligent discussion get smeared.

You seem to be the smearing, even if implicitly. The debate has not been corrupted, they have not prevented meaningful dialogue. Such dialogue may continue irrespective of far-right insanity.

To bring the BNP and neo-Nazis into the debate is, I'm sorry, dishonest in the context of the points I were making, which you chose not to rebut but instead assert that no-one may make any such criticisms because, apparently, the far-right ruined it and that's the end of that.

There seems to be an intellectually dishonest position spreading through the soft and hard left that because the far-right criticises Islam, it is therefore the duty of left-wing people to defend Islam and thus oppose the far-right, irrespective of the actual merit of the debate at hand. This is a mindset that is to be opposed and called out by all right-thinking, sensible people
You seem to be the smearing, even if implicitly. The debate has not been corrupted, they have not prevented meaningful dialogue. Such dialogue may continue irrespective of far-right insanity.

To bring the BNP and neo-Nazis into the debate is, I'm sorry, dishonest in the context of the points I were making, which you chose not to rebut but instead assert that no-one may make any such criticisms because, apparently, the far-right ruined it and that's the end of that.

There seems to be an intellectually dishonest position spreading through the soft and hard left that because the far-right criticises Islam, it is therefore the duty of left-wing people to defend Islam and thus oppose the far-right, irrespective of the actual merit of the debate at hand. This is a mindset that is to be opposed and called out by all right-thinking, sensible people

The fact that, at the sight of those images and without reading what I actually wrote, you described me as 'dishonest', 'obnoxious' and 'utterly pathetic' proves my point.

I did not say that 'no one may make criticisms'. It would have been very odd for me to say that seeing as I've criticised Islam in this thread myself. I said 'this debate is difficult to have'. That's not 'intellectually dishonest'. That's the truth. In the same way that it's difficult to debate eugenics because of the Nazis.
Original post by jeremy1988
Muslims are today's noble savages, and thus above reproach. Everything they do is excused and protected as part of their culture. Sadly, this was applied to even cannibals and tribes guilty of human sacrifice back in the day, so this madness knows no bounds. It's just that in the old days, average people were too smart to listen to that form of left-wing thought seriously. Now, there are enough of these starry-eyed, noble savage praising romantics running around that we have to worry what they think.

It's just a political game. Any revolution offers opportunity for ambitious clinical psychopaths to exploit the chaos and cement their character in future history books (although there are many ways to achieve this). One way to bring about such a 'revolution' is to incentivize the billions from the developing world to gradually overflow into Western cultures and give them a political platform from which they can 'punch up' at their 'oppressors'.

Putting them in a cocoon of the 'noble savage' is one such platform.They do outnumber the populations of the West after all, and produce kids at far higher rates. If you get on the right side of these people and wait a few decades, you'll probably start winning elections with their votes.

I'm not implying that every person who supports mass migration has these ambitions, but I know some certainly do, even if they're a minority.
(edited 6 years ago)
So let me get this straight.

Am I correct in thinking that although I support decriminalising drugs; opening drug rehabilitation centres; getting rid of the legal benefits of marriage entirely (so no one is discriminated against); freedom of speech; secularism; publicly funded healthcare, schools, and university; and a welfare system, I'm actually far-right because I have the consistancy to dislike all kinds of traditionalist ultra-conservatism, and don't make an exception for Islam?
Could someone explain how this works? Does far-right just mean "anti-Islam"?

The left have no idea what they are talking about so their petty name-nalling is heavily devalued.
Reply 138
Totally agree.
It is a divisive tactic of Islam to try and deflect those of us enlightened enough to see through their 1400 year old “agenda of global Shariah” .
Reply 139
One doesn’t need to try hard to see through Taqiyya.

Trojan horse forked tongue mayor khan” exemplifies that .😱

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending