The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluebell786
I was wondering if anyone knew which universities, for dentistry, are the best to apply to with a ukcat that is around 630-640?? I haven't taken my ukcat yet, but it is in 5 days and am very worried that I won't be able to get a score in the high 600s/700+.

Wait until you have sat the UKCAT, its pointless speculating when you could be spending more time revising for the test. Best of luck with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Wait until you have sat the UKCAT, its pointless speculating when you could be spending more time revising for the test. Best of luck with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're right, I'll worry about that when the time comes lol! thank you so much for your help!
you're right, I'll worry about that when the time comes lol! thank you so much for your help!

Its alright, everyone gets nervous. For now rather than worrying about the outcome focus on doing your best x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samirahbegum
So the UKCAT this year has a new section; Decision Making. This section wont be included in the overall score and it wont be communicated to universities. So I was just wondering if there was any need to revise for it? Ive even heard that some people have just relaxed during the Decision Making section of their exam and not answered any questions. I really don't know if I should put effort into revising for this section or whether to save my energy and just not answer any of the questions. Can someone give me some advice?

Hi samirahbegum

It is a good idea to really focus your prep on the other areas that do count but also it is definitely worth giving the DA section your proper attention during the test for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's never a good idea to switch off mentally part way through a test.... Far better to keep your mind focused so as not to lose momentum when you move on to the next section which will count.Also, I'm sure that you will have no reason to think about having to take the UKCAT again next year, it is worth bearing in mind that if the worst were to happen and you were to find yourself in the situation of retaking it, you would be in a much better position next time having taken the DA section seriously this time.With all of that in mind, it would probably be a good idea to do some preparation towards the DA section, just don't stress yourself out about it! Hope that helps... just shout if you have any questions.UniAdmissions
Original post by Marathi
Haven't yet sat the exam but at the Warwick open day they basically put it to us like this:

Don't revise for it, but still take it seriously when doing the actual test. As it will affect future marking of this section and serve as a baseline when going forward, so don't just guess everything or leave it all blank but don't invest any time revising for it. That is how I plan to approach it anyway.

Okay, thanks so much for the advice :biggrin:Btw, is that Kingdom Hearts I see in your profile picture :O !!
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Zak7399

We would advise setting aside a few hours per day (ideally 4+) to practise for your UKCAT in the weeks leading up to your test date. This could either be done on your own using resources that you have collected or as part of a course.

There are lots of resources available and whilst I would of course recommend ours :smile:, what I would also say is, make sure that what you choose is the most up to date and comprehensive available as this can vary largely.

You might be interested in reading this blog which has lots of tips for getting ready for your UKCAT.

Give me a shout if you have any questions... always to happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Thank you very much.
Original post by mliela
I did mine last year. I started with a book 600 questions which I think is now called the 1000 questions book. I then used MEDIFY for two or three weeks. I'd say that MEDIFY is definitely one of the best resources and it's pretty affordable. Also try and fit in the official website mock tests as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much:smile: Will definitely use those then.
Hi,
Could someone please explain the answer of 'D' for the question below?

AR.jpg
Original post by rose1234
Hi,

AR.jpg

Here is a clue:
The hexagon is two trapeziums
The square is two triangles
The rectangle is two squares.
Original post by rose1234
Hi,

AR.jpg

I think you add on 3 right angles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isc AR is extreme
Original post by Lemauricien
I thought you add on 3 right angles but it's not, it's shape transformation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you don't mind me asking, what was your tariff?

It was 680 :smile:
Original post by medstudent1010
It was 680 :smile:

bloody hell, mine will probably only be 600
Whats a tariff? ive heard that Barts like people with high tariffs, but I don't even know what a tariff is. Ive heard that Barts look at predicted grades. I have 4 A* predicted grades so would I have a high chance of getting in there?
Original post by Lemauricien
Isc AR is extreme

It's ridiculous and most of the questions are totally unrepresentative of the difficulty of the real thing.
To people who have done the test; Do you think 800 in QR (for someone who does further maths) is quite easy to achieve.
Original post by The person
To people who have done the test; Do you think 800 in QR (for someone who does further maths) is quite easy to achieve.

No, because its not about your maths skills, its about your timing mainly with this section as its so so time pressured, plus the maths is so basic that GCSE grade B is more than sufficient knowledge for this, its not hard maths which aims to trip you up, its testing arithmetic speed and accuracy.

I got full marks in QR on the UKCAT (so 900) but was terrible at AS level maths, i just practiced this section and was naturally pretty quick, the same couldnt be said for VR and DA... They were poor!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

QR in UKCAT isn't about how good at maths you are. It's about how quickly you can interpret data/see what the question is asking for and do one or a series of relatively straightforward calculations.

You could be amazing at FM but be rubbish with mental arithmetic and do poorly on the QR section.
(edited 7 years ago)

Definitely not - I have an A-Level in Further Maths but QR was not made easier by it whatsoever. Different skills are required completely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending