The Student Room Group

Article: A guide to AS results 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salamandastron
Fuming that AS doesn't count for art, in a way i can understand other subjects and it isn't that much of a deal because you can just revise the same content again next year but omfg you're telling me that i spent so many hours of my life, all nighters so much bloody work and it doesn't even count.
oh and oh yeh how exactly are we meant to get A* now? previously the A* was decided by if you got really high UMS at AS but obviously that isn't going to work anymore :nothing:

A* will be set by senior examiners like other grades - you no longer have to achieve particular scores in any units.

As I understand it, the assessment tasks will be different for AS and A-level in Art so you won't be able to re-submit work.
Original post by miless090
You say you're fuming that it doesn't count. But surely you were already aware that it wouldn't count for anything at the beginning of the course? If not, it's your school or college that's at fault here.

nope, she told us it counted lol
Do universities get these AS Levels then? I just think it's VERY unfair that if we trip up taking AS exams, universities get these poor results whereas those who don't take AS exams risk their predicted grades and these are subjective (to the college) not definitive.
Original post by Someboady
Do universities get these AS Levels then? I just think it's VERY unfair that if we trip up taking AS exams, universities get these poor results whereas those who don't take AS exams risk their predicted grades and these are subjective (to the college) not definitive.

I don't know about other schools but while we don't have AS exams, we still have an internal mock, and that result will be our predicted grade that's sent to universities, so we don't have an advantage.
Original post by miless090
I don't know about other schools but while we don't have AS exams, we still have an internal mock, and that result will be our predicted grade that's sent to universities, so we don't have an advantage.

Yeah and thats the issue, predicted grades aren't necessarily solely based on the exam, your teacher might assess performance in class. I know lots of my friends attending colleges where predicted grades are used are having their predicted grades boosted to an A when they got a C in the mock? Its just plain unfairness tbh
Original post by Someboady
Yeah and thats the issue, predicted grades aren't necessarily solely based on the exam, your teacher might assess performance in class. I know lots of my friends attending colleges where predicted grades are used are having their predicted grades boosted to an A when they got a C in the mock? Its just plain unfairness tbh

I don't know, but I'd like to think your school/college would tell universities if the AS result wasn't a good reflection of you overall performance.
Reply 26
So how important are the AS grades?
And if you want to go to a uni where you need three A's but you get two A's and two B's but are predicted A's for next year in them could you still get an offer?
Original post by Amy99
So how important are the AS grades?
And if you want to go to a uni where you need three A's but you get two A's and two B's but are predicted A's for next year in them could you still get an offer?

I'm in year 12 going to year 13. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I am right saying your AS grades aid teachers in predicting you grades for the unis you want to apply to. Also if you got AAB but need AAA, if your teacher believes you can get that A instead of the B and out it on your predicted results you can still get an offer.
Ok just to be clear, I got my AS results today and I got a B, few marks off an A, in Edexcel Fine Art (8FA0). According to this, that grade won't count and my whole Art A-Level grade will be purely determined by how I perform next year, is that correct?
Thanks.
If I have a D, E, E, U as my AS Level results- which will not affect my A2 grades- boosted to C, C, C as my predicted grades due to achieving 3A's and a B all year round will this affect my chances of getting into university? As it isn't what I got but would of possibly got if I didn't have family/health issues during the time of the exam?
So, let's say I got an A in History at AS yesterday. I know this doesn't count, but do I put it on UCAS as an AS or not?
Reply 31
Are the scores on reformed ASs relevant now that ums isn't used anymore?
Is this CIE A Levels? :confused:
Original post by heffalumpys
So, let's say I got an A in History at AS yesterday. I know this doesn't count, but do I put it on UCAS as an AS or not?

Yes

Original post by tanvi_a
Are the scores on reformed ASs relevant now that ums isn't used anymore?

Only if you're considering a remark
What happens in you get 3 U's in your AS. 2 of them were reformed and one of them werent. does that mean i have to resit the year?
I've done well in the subjects I wanna do next year and also got an A in geography which also counts towards my final A2 grade. However I got an E in comp sci because I just hated it with all my heart but the school wouldn't let me drop it. Does this matter when I apply to uni? I am confident I can get the uni requirements for my A2 but would I be disadvantaged with that E even though I'm dropping the subject?
Reply 36
What AS grades go on to UCAS, the reformed or unreformed subjects?
What happens if you got two C's in Maths and Further Maths, and a U in Physics and Chemistry, why do I have to do year 12 again, as Physics and Chemistry are reformed subjects?
Reply 38
How do "double" awards count? In AS I got CC grade at Health & Social Double, and C at Health & Social single, and D at Food Tec. They are three separate subjects. It's difficult to calculate my predicted points and the head of year 13 doesn't know either - Im going into year 13.
How do I calculate the points I could get with the same at A2? Btw I need minimum 112 points to do nursing - BCC or 3C's . I don't know if I'll get them, I'm not really clever but have always wanted to do nursing.
Can anyone help with how many points a CC, a C and a D are worth at AS and at A2?
Reply 39
Original post by Ziaskia
So when applying for university will AS results still be considered as highly?
don't nohttps://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/confused.png

Quick Reply

Latest