The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LMAX
It is obviously more difficult, specially the top firms like GS. Tier 2-3 BB more possible, still challenging. Apply everywhere and get experience. If you are really focused do a MSc in a top school after graduation.

I know a few guys that went to totally non-target unis and ended up in a top 3 BB after a relevant internship and a top MSc. One did internship in Canaccord the year before if I am not mistaken.

OK cool, thanks. Pretty much same thoughts as me. I intend on doing a finance-based MSc at a top business school so hopefully that'll give me a head-start going into graduate positions.
Anyone know how many JP summer internships you can apply for?
Original post by LMAX
Are you sure about JPM? I just read the description of the SA position and it says "you must be a penultimate-year university student"

Maybe they changed this year..

Yeah, definitely both summer and off cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olly_price
Anyone know anyone who has landed a BB summer internship from a non-target uni? I'm at Sussex University, so decent but not target. I did manage to get a spring week with Canaccord and was the only non-Cambridge/Warwick student on it, but GS (which I applied to the other day) is probably a long shot. Thoughts?

Yes, there have been plenty before and I'm sure plenty going forward. I'd suggest networking, like now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LMAX
It is obviously more difficult, specially the top firms like GS. Tier 2-3 BB more possible, still challenging. Apply everywhere and get experience. If you are really focused do a MSc in a top school after graduation.

I know a few guys that went to totally non-target unis and ended up in a top 3 BB after a relevant internship and a top MSc. One did internship in Canaccord the year before if I am not mistaken.

I know people from Man Met and London Southbank who are in FO at BBs, no Masters at all even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found an email from JPM HR which says for summer, you MUST be one year away from graduation (whether that be undergrad or MSc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spring week thread isn't quite kicking off yet, so...
Does anyone know of any open SWs?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Spring week thread isn't quite kicking off yet, so...
Does anyone know of any open SWs?

You could post this in the SW thread to kick it off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
Original post by Commercial Paper
Barclays and UBS too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure about Barclays? Can't seem to find it on their website..
So many companies opening up their applications are sort of encouraging me to get started applying but I'm still in the process of preparing a new CV and trying to put in the best possible application, anyone else feel this?
Original post by ay42
Are you sure about Barclays? Can't seem to find it on their website..

I didn't check. I saw them post on my Facebook feed saying it was open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991
So many companies opening up their applications are sort of encouraging me to get started applying but I'm still in the process of preparing a new CV and trying to put in the best possible application, anyone else feel this?

There's no rush. I'm not planning on submitting anything until the end of the month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991

Same as you. Won't apply 'til early-mid september, though; I am completing a 1 month internship and even if unrelated I believe it will help if listed on my CV.
I'd like to wait more 'cause I have some projects for september-october, but that would be too late. So early septemebr will be for me!
Original post by Pedroby
Is it pointless to apply without relevant work experience and finance-related ECs? Studying at a target with top GPA at least... I know I'm dumb.

I believe that with top GPA and coming from a target you have solid chances... just my 2 cents though.
for those who applied to SEO, did you have to take 2 numerical tests or just one?
JPM ask if you're in your penultimate year of study for the summer application. I technically won't be, but am looking at undertaking a masters. Do you guys reckon I should select yes or no?

EDIT: no stupid competency questions for the application either?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gsbs2
I know ppl form Loughborough that got into Black Stone, Citi, Lazard, Credit Suisse all FO. Life is beautiful.

Yeah but Loughborough is doing well anyway, not that surprising really

Posted from TSR Mobile
None of these applications expire or anything if you keep your application as a draft for a long period, do they? Aware UBS deletes your draft after 30 days - any others do weird stuff like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You could post this in the SW thread to kick it off

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already started the thread and posted, but there is no activity.
Regardless, thank you for the insightful comment.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I already started the thread and posted, but there is no activity.
Regardless, thank you for the insightful comment.

There's a stickied one in the main forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending