The Student Room Group

Which A level combination should I pick

So for 6th form/a levels I would like to study 4 subjects: maths, physics, computer science and economics, however I am confused between doing:

4 whole a levels( which could be quite difficult)
or
3 whole a levels and one AS(physics)

I would like to study/learn all the subjects at a level, but I don't necessarily want to take 4 alevels.
Also I would like to study either computer science, or economics at oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by theBranicAc
So for 6th form/a levels I would like to study 4 subjects: maths, physics, computer science and economics, however I am confused between doing:

or

I would like to study/learn all the subjects at a level, but I don't necessarily want to take 4 alevels.

The second is probably a better option. very few people can manage 4 full A2's and now that you don't have the advantage of the AS year to lessen what you need to know you are far better off just doing 3 A-levels and keeping physics to AS.
Reply 2
3 and put max effort into all of them or 4 and put average effort into all of them cause you have limited time...
I am finishing my first year of A levels, and I chose subjects that went together really well. Maths and geography go well together because you can get equations in geography. Music and maths go together as well because of timings.
Another forum user told me: "Don't spread yourself too thin", when I asked about this. Good advice to me.
Reply 5

or

4 A levels isn't as hard as people make it out to be. If you feel more comfortable with 3 and an AS, do that.

Note that some Cambridge Colleges require you to have further maths for Comp Sci, and both Cambridge and Oxford encourage you to have two or more science subjects. Both require maths, however by "science subjects" I dont know whether they mean traditional sciences only or if they include A level Computer science. Give them a call to clarify, as you may have to take both maths and physics to A2.

For economics Oxbridge requires A level maths but no other requirements are mentioned except some Cambridge colleges requiring further maths AS/A level.
Reply 6
Original post by rxns_00
4 A levels isn't as hard as people make it out to be. If you feel more comfortable with 3 and an AS, do that.

Note that some Cambridge Colleges require you to have further maths for Comp Sci, and both Cambridge and Oxford encourage you to have two or more science subjects. Both require maths, however by "science subjects" I dont know whether they mean traditional sciences only or if they include A level Computer science. Give them a call to clarify, as you may have to take both maths and physics to A2.

For economics Oxbridge requires A level maths but no other requirements are mentioned except some Cambridge colleges requiring further maths AS/A level.

So i've checked on oxford university entry requirements, and it says that further maths or another science is highly recommend. Would as physics give me an advantage or would it be better to take the full a level physics or full a level further maths.

Also this has given me another dilemma. The thing is I still want to study all the 4 subjects for sixth form, but because I would most likely study computer science at oxbridge I would need to take further maths to stand a chance- this now equates to 5 subjects, which I really dont want to do. I understand that I will definitely need computer science and maths, but which combination would be the best, eg, 5 alevles, 4 alevels, 3 alevels and 2 as etc? The thing is I also dont want to do 4 alevels( because of the workload).

So now which combination would be the best:

4 alevels: maths,futher maths, economics, computer science
or
3 alevels: maths, further maths, computer science and 1 as( physics)
or
3 alevels: maths, further maths, computer science and 1 as(economics)

or

3 whole a levels and one AS. It doesn't make you any less appealing to university and also means that you can focus more on getting higher grades in those 3 subjects, rather than directing less attention to 4 A-levels and getting lower grades
Reply 8
So i've checked on oxford university entry requirements, and it says that further maths or another science is highly recommend. Would as physics give me an advantage or would it be better to take the full a level physics or full a level further maths.

Also this has given me another dilemma. The thing is I still want to study all the 4 subjects for sixth form, but because I would most likely study computer science at oxbridge I would need to take further maths to stand a chance- this now equates to 5 subjects, which I really dont want to do. I understand that I will definitely need computer science and maths, but which combination would be the best, eg, 5 alevles, 4 alevels, 3 alevels and 2 as etc? The thing is I also dont want to do 4 alevels( because of the workload).

So now which combination would be the best:

4 alevels: maths,futher maths, economics, computer science
or
3 alevels: maths, further maths, computer science and 1 as( physics)
or
3 alevels: maths, further maths, computer science and 1 as(economics)

Hang on my question is why are you stuck on economics? There's surely no need for it if you're more keen on computer science? It's not really related.

I'd reccomend you do
Physics, Maths, Computer Science to A level, and Further Maths to AS.

OR

Physics, Maths, Further Maths to A level, Computer Science to AS. (This may be good for prep for the course as I know definitely the Cambridge comp Sci is very maths heavy)

This will give you the most flexibility when it comes to picking colleges, and doing 3 A2s only means you can really focus on them and reach the A*A*A for Cambridge or the A*AA (I believe?) for Oxford.

That's the best advice I can give you at the moment :smile:
You can usually start off with four subjects for AS and then decide at the end of the year if you want to drop one in year 13. I did biology, chemistry, maths and psychology in year 12 but, even though I did well in psychology, I decided I would have struggled to continue with all 4 so I dropped psychology. It all depends on how much you need the subject you're considering only doing to AS. If you decide to drop one subject after year 12, see if you can do something like an EPQ in year 13 which will give you an extra qualification but will take up less time. I don't think it would affect your chances with oxbridge too much because I only did 3 A levels and an AS and I got an interview at oxford, and there were other people being interviewed who were doing like 6 A levels. I think they care more that the subjects you do are relevant and you are doing well in them.

or

Do 3, you only need 3, and doing more doesn't put you at any great advantage.

Ideally, the best combination is probably maths, further maths and economics or economics, maths and physics. (For economics)

For CompSci, physics, further maths and maths is the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Do 3, you only need 3, and doing more doesn't put you at any great advantage.

Ideally, the best combination is probably maths, further maths and economics or economics, maths and physics. (For economics)

For CompSci, physics, further maths and maths is the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

would it be a good idea to do 3 full alevles and the on as level, because like I said I would like to study 4 subjects at 6th form

also im torn between computer science, economics and physics, i know I will do maths and futher for a levels, but what about the other 2 subjects?
would it be a good idea to do 3 full alevles and the on as level, because like I said I would like to study 4 subjects at 6th form

also im torn between computer science, economics and physics, i know I will do maths and futher for a levels, but what about the other 2 subjects?

Do physics and economics as the other two, because if you decide at one point you would prefer economics than computer science, it would be rather strange not to have economics a level. Plus, no top university asks for computer science a level for admission, nor does it advantage anyone that offers it. Also, are you sitting AS exams for all your subjects in Y12?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do physics and economics as the other two, because if you decide at one point you would prefer economics than computer science, it would be rather strange not to have economics a level. Plus, no top university asks for computer science a level for admission, nor does it advantage anyone that offers it. Also, are you sitting AS exams for all your subjects in Y12?

Posted from TSR Mobile

so you dont NEED computer science a level to study compsci at oxbrdige? hmm I never knew that. Even though you don't need it would't it give you a slight advantage over others who didnt take it because you'll know how to program and understand computer science concepts?

yeah when i do, do a levels i can only sit it for year 12 because of the new a leves
so you dont NEED computer science a level to study compsci at oxbrdige? hmm I never knew that. Even though you don't need it would't it give you a slight advantage over others who didnt take it because you'll know how to program and understand computer science concepts?

yeah when i do, do a levels i can only sit it for year 12 because of the new a leves

No advantage at all, check their entry requirements. I think it's a similar situation to law, where law A level is pointless for a law degree. They'll teach you everything from scratch there, you'll just need the mathematics to understand.
alright then i understand, so lets say i pick, maths,further maths, physics and economics as

and i decide to do econocmics at uni, would i be at a disdavantage or do i need a level ecocnomics?
alright then i understand, so lets say i pick, maths,further maths, physics and economics as

and i decide to do econocmics at uni, would i be at a disdavantage or do i need a level ecocnomics?

I doubt you would be at a disadvantage. Physics is arguably the most respected a level along with maths.

Also, I've checked Oxford and Cambridge's requirements for economics. Oxford only requires A2 maths, while some Cambridge colleges require A2 further maths, as well as A2 maths.

Furthermore, computing at Oxford only requires A2 maths, but further maths is highly recommended, while Cambridge asks for A2 maths, A2 further (some colleges) or 3 science/maths subjects (some colleges).

Basically, maths and further maths are key. Not taking physics to A2 would stop you getting into some Cambridge colleges, but that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Dropping econ would be worse than not doing it. Because it will almost certainly look weird to the uni.
I doubt you would be at a disadvantage. Physics is arguably the most respected a level along with maths.

Also, I've checked Oxford and Cambridge's requirements for economics. Oxford only requires A2 maths, while some Cambridge colleges require A2 further maths, as well as A2 maths.

Furthermore, computing at Oxford only requires A2 maths, but further maths is highly recommended, while Cambridge asks for A2 maths, A2 further (some colleges) or 3 science/maths subjects (some colleges).

Basically, maths and further maths are key. Not taking physics to A2 would stop you getting into some Cambridge colleges, but that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so to do economics a uni you don't need economics alevel but rather maths alevel and/or furhter maths. However, the below poster said not taking economics to a level would be worse than not doing it at all, so would it be a better option to do physics to as instead of economics?
Reply 19
so either i do economics a level or not at all?, hwoever the above poster of you said it would't put me at a disadvantage

Nit doing econ at A-level won't disadvantage you. But if you drop it it looks like you don't actually like it and that can put unis off.

Quick Reply

Latest