The Student Room Group

Any tips on how to get into a great university?

(Posting From My Mothers Account)
I live in London and would like some tips for the good universities in and around London such as Cambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
To get into a grate university, you must follow these rules:
1. Worship Lord Cheesus
2. Read the holy book "Grate expectations"
3. Vote in their royal maturedness CheeseIsVeg for President #CheeseForPresident @SassKing13

Spoiler

Original post by tiagilbert17
I am only starting year 11 in September however, I am aiming to get into Cambridge and am wondering if there are any extracurricular activities and things that would be helpful? Thanks
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
To get into a grate university, you must follow these rules:
1. Worship Lord Cheesus
2. Read the holy book "Grate expectations"
3. Vote in their royal maturedness CheeseIsVeg for President #CheeseForPresident @SassKing13

Spoiler

:congrats:
Original post by SassKing13
:congrats:

thanks, oh
oh I think I just got emotional
*wipes tear*this is a grate moment indeed

Spoiler

I am only starting year 11 in September however, I am aiming to get into Cambridge (Mathematics) and am wondering if there are any extracurricular activities and things that would be helpful? Thanks

Hi tiagilbert17,

In order to apply to Cambridge you should first and foremost focus on getting the right grades at A Level. Typical offer requires: A*A*A + STEP
All typical offers are also based on STEP (usually grades 1 and 1 in STEP 2 and 3). STEP (Sixth Term Examination Paper) is an additional examination taken in the summer at the end of June, and is the same for all applicants.
The papers are based on material that is common to the core syllabus of A Level Mathematics and some of the Statistics and Mechanics modules, as well as on the typical Further Mathematics syllabus. Therefore they require no further knowledge.

Do not worry if your school is not able to provide much help with STEP. There are many STEP preparation resources available to help and support you.

If your school/college does not offer Further Mathematics A Level, the Further Mathematics Support Programme may be able to help you. The FMSP also offers an online Further Mathematics course for mature and home-schooled students.

Students often worry about what they should study. The best advice, applicable to all, is to do as much mathematics as possible. If you are taking A-levels,it is recommended that you take Mathematics and Further Mathematics. If you are applying for Mathematics with Physics, most colleges will ask for A-level Physics. Beyond that, study what you enjoy most and feel you can do well. If you have a choice of modules, you should try to take as much pure mathematics and mechanics as possible, in preference to discrete mathematics and statistics (from the point of view of our course).
It is true that in most schools there will be little or no choice, and some schools may not teach Further Mathematics.You should not worry: all applications from talented and enthusiastic mathematicians are welcome, and suitable allowance is always made both in the interview and in the conditional offer, to take into account the background of individual applicants.

You could also read this blog on the subject.

Hope this is helpful

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi tiagilbert17,

In order to apply to Cambridge you should first and foremost focus on getting the right grades at A Level. Typical offer requires: A*A*A + STEP
All typical offers are also based on STEP (usually grades 1 and 1 in STEP 2 and 3). STEP (Sixth Term Examination Paper) is an additional examination taken in the summer at the end of June, and is the same for all applicants.
The papers are based on material that is common to the core syllabus of A Level Mathematics and some of the Statistics and Mechanics modules, as well as on the typical Further Mathematics syllabus. Therefore they require no further knowledge.

Do not worry if your school is not able to provide much help with STEP. There are many STEP preparation resources available to help and support you.

If your school/college does not offer Further Mathematics A Level, the Further Mathematics Support Programme may be able to help you. The FMSP also offers an online Further Mathematics course for mature and home-schooled students.

Students often worry about what they should study. The best advice, applicable to all, is to do as much mathematics as possible. If you are taking A-levels,it is recommended that you take Mathematics and Further Mathematics. If you are applying for Mathematics with Physics, most colleges will ask for A-level Physics. Beyond that, study what you enjoy most and feel you can do well. If you have a choice of modules, you should try to take as much pure mathematics and mechanics as possible, in preference to discrete mathematics and statistics (from the point of view of our course).
It is true that in most schools there will be little or no choice, and some schools may not teach Further Mathematics.You should not worry: all applications from talented and enthusiastic mathematicians are welcome, and suitable allowance is always made both in the interview and in the conditional offer, to take into account the background of individual applicants.

You could also read this blog on the subject.

Hope this is helpful

UniAdmissions

Thank you
Reply 6
I am only starting year 11 in September however, I am aiming to get into Cambridge (Mathematics) and am wondering if there are any extracurricular activities and things that would be helpful? Thanks

Don't worry too much yet about A-levels and STEP. Focus on your GCSEs...

But, one of the best STEP resources around is the annual thread on TSR.

The current thread is here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4136101
STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

I'm sure there will be a 2018 thread in due course... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Don't worry too much yet about A-levels and STEP. Focus on your GCSEs...

But, one of the best STEP resources around is the annual thread on TSR.

The current thread is here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4136101
STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

I'm sure there will be a 2018 thread in due course... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending