The Student Room Group

Why do people have a problem with wolf whistling

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Carry on doing it then, but I know plenty of my friends and colleagues would not appreciate you doing it and would tell you where to get off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11569484/Sexual-harassment-Women-objectify-men.-But-wolf-whistling-is-criminal.html

So you think is it criminal for a man to wolf whistle a woman?
It's extremely degrading to women. Obviously, not all women have a problem with it, but you're whistling at a women just because of her chest or her ass. Any person, man or woman, is much more than that. It draws unwanted to the girl when she didn't ask for it. If you like her, why don't you go up and introduce yourself? If you're not interested in a relationship, then you're just calling attention to her like a bird or painting, which is rude and disrespectful.
Reply 42
Original post by Another
lol.

If you really want to compliment someone on their looks, use your words. God gave you a tongue for a reason. A whistle is basically saying "I don't think you're worth wasting my speech on, but I want to let you know that you're okay enough to stick my cock in anyway if I had the chance"

Original post by Blue_Mason
So you think is it criminal for a man to wolf whistle a woman?

Did you bother to read the article?

Quite clearly many women will not welcome the attention and not all wolf whilstling is benign.

You carry on doing it though, eventually youll manage to find some that dont appreciate it.
Original post by 999tigger
Did you bother to read the article?

Quite clearly many women will not welcome the attention and not all wolf whilstling is benign.

You carry on doing it though, eventually youll manage to find some that dont appreciate it.

I did read parts of it, bit yeah I shall continue to whistle
I did read parts of it, bit yeah I shall continue to whistle

Dude you are just a troll. Nobody is as moronic as you pretend to be. That goes with all your other threads about poor people etc.
Because its creepy? Can you imagine being somewhere late at night and having old men whistling at you? If you're female you're less stronger to defend yourself in case your whistler wants to touch or gang up on you. It puts you on edge. You think young females being whistled at by old men is "ok"?

Whistling may not inflect harm physically but it isn't good for a young female to receive whistling from men x10 older than her when she doesn't want the attention about her boobs, or butt.
Can the OP please explain why wolf whilsting at a complete stranger is ok?

As mentioned, it's creepy.
Reply 48
but why though? whats the point of it? it never gets him anything (apart from people thinking hes a loser) just keep your whistling to yourself
Original post by Tiger Rag
Can the OP please explain why wolf whilsting at a complete stranger is ok?

As mentioned, it's creepy.

It is okay if the person who is whistling is not over stepping the mark and being inappropriate.
A guy in his twenties, who is whistling a woman in her twenties at a club is okay
Original post by Allie4
but why though? whats the point of it? it never gets him anything (apart from people thinking hes a loser) just keep your whistling to yourself

Its just a bit of playful banter.
It can be harmless and funny
It is okay if the person who is whistling is not over stepping the mark and being inappropriate.
A guy in his twenties, who is whistling a woman in her twenties at a club is okay

In your opinion

It's never ok. I've had it when I've been out walking home alone. It's creepy.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
It just seems like a horrible way to get a woman's attention and let her know that she's attractive. I think most women would appreciate someone telling them that they're beautiful however whistling may perceived as demeaning, for example you might whistle to grab the attention of a dog or other animal.

This 100%. A woman isn't your chavvy pet pitbull terrier to be whistled at nor is she here for the benefit of your eyeballs. Are we supposed to be flattered because you made a high pitched noise at us? Are we animals or pieces of meat for your viewing pleasure? If you want to interact with us acknowledge our humanity and talk to us like a normal person would, how are we supposed to respond to stupid noises?

@BlueMason
You react by simply smiling or just laugh it off.

Again it is just a whistle, a man can whistle and keep it moving, as it is not that serious.
(edited 7 years ago)
You react by simply smiling or just laugh it off.

Again it is just a whistle, a man can whistle and keep it moving, as it is not that serious.

But it isn't funny to be whistled at and I certainly wouldn't be smiling because that could encourage a man to think I liked him. You don't understand because you're a guy but if you're on your own and you're getting whistled at by a group of guys its as unnerving as **** because you don't know if they'll do something horrible.
So if one guy were to whistle at you and you were with someone else, it would not be as bad.
I have been intimidated by a group of guys, so I do understand
So if one guy were to whistle at you and you were with someone else, it would not be as bad.

It would still be as bad because the sound of the whistle would still bother me and make me angry. It's an insult at best and intimidating and anxiety inducing at worst. Again, you wouldn't understand this because it's more of a sexual threat thing that guys don't have to deal with off other men, so it's not the same thing at all. If you're intimidated by a group of guys you probably aren't worried about them raping you, are you? It's different on so many levels.

I don't know why you're trying to defend it. So many people have said it isn't nice so don't ****ing do it. You are a grade a ******* if you do now.

In the Gay quarter I walked home, a bunch of bears whistling at my short covered ass. I felt turned on, intimidated but I wish I had met some of them on Grindr. I'm not up for the gang bang they intimated :cry:
I am not defending those creepy guys that sexually harass women as they're vulgar creatures.
I feel like at some point,men will not be allowed to even look at a woman without being called a creep
I am not defending those creepy guys that sexually harass women as they're vulgar creatures.
I feel like at some point,men will not be allowed to even look at a woman without being called a creep

if I see this. Im gonna whistle. ARREST ME

Quick Reply

Latest