The Student Room Group

Robot wars is BACK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dhr90
Oh I was very impressed that it pushed dead metal!! I would imagine it would shove Tornado all over the place.

How high are the new walls? I thought it was like a cube with just the one gap where the entry ramp was?

True, but they could have still driven into each other?

Seeing this series, I think hypnodisc would need a huge amount of upgrading to compete, the spinners are just brutal.

Apparently out of the arena flips are still possible in theory, but the walls are 7 meters high. :zomg:

I think it's a nice adaptation, as by Series 6/7, loads of robots were capable of flipping others out of the arena, and in the years after the TV run ended it became the most popular tactic in the live shows. It was getting a little boring. But a 7 meter flip would be far more impressive. :biggrin:
Original post by Deyesy
Spoilers again.

Spoiler

There is a place for one Wildcard in the grand final, according to information released before the series aired (and it's listed on the side of the competitors page of the official website as well). :yes:
Reply 122
Original post by Deyesy
Spoilers again.

Spoiler

I'd like to see Thor go through, he actually seemed a little modest and not cocky.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Apparently out of the arena flips are still possible in theory, but the walls are 7 meters high. :zomg:

I think it's a nice adaptation, as by Series 6/7, loads of robots were capable of flipping others out of the arena, and in the years after the TV run ended it became the most popular tactic in the live shows. It was getting a little boring. But a 7 meter flip would be far more impressive. :biggrin:

Who has flipped that high before other than wheelie big cheese? Don't think Chaos 2 even got close?
Original post by dhr90
I'd like to see Thor go through, he actually seemed a little modest and not cocky.

Who has flipped that high before other than wheelie big cheese? Don't think Chaos 2 even got close?

Just realized that I was thinking 7 feet in my head... a 7 meter flip really would be impressive. :zomg: But I knew I'd read somewhere that out of the arena flips were still theoretically possible - apparently there are gaps around the robot entrances, and the pit release button.
(edited 7 years ago)
The pit annoys me, I wish they would get rid of it, or maybe make it a lot smaller, its such a cheap way to win and I think it ruins the fights.
Original post by The_Opinion
The pit annoys me, I wish they would get rid of it, or maybe make it a lot smaller, its such a cheap way to win and I think it ruins the fights.

I think there should be a minimum amount of time a battle has to last before the release button becomes active, to prevent insta-pit battles, but I'd be against removing the hazard entirely. There needs to be some way for robots that favour pushing power/control etc over destructive weaponry to be able to finish an opponent.
I think there should be a minimum amount of time a battle has to last before the release button becomes active, to prevent insta-pit battles, but I'd be against removing the hazard entirely. There needs to be some way for robots that favour pushing power/control etc over destructive weaponry to be able to finish an opponent.
They have the CPZ's for the pushing robots already, I just think that it is stupid when a great machine like Razor gets eliminated as a result of a hole in the floor.
They have the CPZ's for the pushing robots already, I just think that it is stupid when a great machine like Razor gets eliminated as a result of a hole in the floor.

Despite the fact Razer is one of the most notorious 'grab and pit' robots of the original run?

Reply 128
One thing this series is lacking is Refbot!

Said no-one ever, glad they just brought back the classic four and none of the later ones :wink:

I agree about Thor though, seriously good experienced robot and seriously good experienced driver, he absolutely battered Shockwave in the head to head yet upset in the final, Shockwave wasn't the worst robot in the competition by any stretch, but I think Thor would have stood a much better chance in the Grand Final.

Mostly enjoying the series so far, there have been one or two downsides, like already said, there's a bit of odd, awkward editing with close-ups of the audience or teams in the middle of the fight and it's a shame it's such a short series this time, but I've liked it so far and I'm hoping there'll be one or two more oldies coming back in the rest of the series, I'd love to see Chaos 2 or Hypnodisc back.
Despite the fact Razer is one of the most notorious 'grab and pit' robots of the original run?

Often when they were battering the opposition anyway.
Original post by Olie

Said no-one ever, glad they just brought back the classic four and none of the later ones :wink:

I agree about Thor though, seriously good experienced robot and seriously good experienced driver, he absolutely battered Shockwave in the head to head yet upset in the final, Shockwave wasn't the worst robot in the competition by any stretch, but I think Thor would have stood a much better chance in the Grand Final.

Mostly enjoying the series so far, there have been one or two downsides, like already said, there's a bit of odd, awkward editing with close-ups of the audience or teams in the middle of the fight and it's a shame it's such a short series this time, but I've liked it so far and I'm hoping there'll be one or two more oldies coming back in the rest of the series, I'd love to see Chaos 2 or Hypnodisc back.

I wonder why they did not enter, the same for Mortis, that expensive Axe robot.
Reply 130

Agreed, I have fond memories of Razer. It's actually one of the few robots (aside from the house ones) that I remember. Too bad it ended that way.
Original post by Olie

Sir Killalot wasn't one of the four original house robots. Sgt Bash was. :moon:

I really miss Refbot, or at least having an easily obvious way of counting out robots. Though they'd have had to really beef up Refbot if they brought it back, and I'll admit two huge house robots in the arena at once is probably enough.

There's four old but upgraded robots coming back in the next episode, plus another old team with an all-new machine. :yes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Wheely big cheese needs to come back :moon:
Sir Killalot wasn't one of the four original house robots. Sgt Bash was. :moon:

I really miss Refbot, or at least having an easily obvious way of counting out robots. Though they'd have had to really beef up Refbot if they brought it back, and I'll admit two huge house robots in the arena at once is probably enough.

There's four old but upgraded robots coming back in the next episode, plus another old team with an all-new machine. :yes:

The little kid from Bigger Brother hasn't changed one little bit :lol:
has it started yet? or are we waiting on a date?
Original post by Deyesy
The little kid from Bigger Brother hasn't changed one little bit :lol:

That was my immediate thought when looking at Or Te's page, but Joe Watts isn't in this year's team (he'd be in his 20s now :zomg:). I think that's a younger brother, only twelve, so might not even have been born when Series 7 aired. :p:

...unless they cryogenically froze him for all these years. :zomg:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alextaylor6

It started two weeks ago! ^_^

That was my immediate thought when looking at Or Te's page, but Joe Watts isn't in this year's team (he'd be in his 20s now :zomg:). I think that's a younger brother, only twelve, so might not even have been born when Series 7 aired. :p:

...unless they cryogenically froze him for all these years. :zomg:

Jesus Christ. That's showing our age :lol:

The first episode aired a couple of weeks back. Ep 3 is 8 PM on Sunday. You can still catch the two that have aired on iPlayer, though. :yes:
The first episode aired a couple of weeks back. Ep 3 is 8 PM on Sunday. You can still catch the two that have aired on iPlayer, though. :yes:

Original post by Deyesy
It started two weeks ago! ^_^

Jesus Christ. That's showing our age :lol:

fuuuk I've been missing out XD, time to go watch
fuuuk I've been missing out XD, time to go watch

Two hours of back to back Robot Wars :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending