The Student Room Group

Best place to do a GDL (most prestigious)

Which Uni is the most prestigious and best Uni for a Graduate Diploma in Law?
Thank you!
Duck
Reply 1
I know the two main places are:
University of Law
BPP

Most people say that UoL is the more traditional and orthodox route for most people, but BPP has really good connections for 'magic circle' and big law firms.
Both are equally good, but it depends if you want a shot at the big city firms or just have the stock GDL.

A lot of graduates from top universities and those who got a first class honours go to BPP because of the links they have, but I think that both of them are good. I know of people who went to both and ended up pretty well, so it might be a case of preference too.
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Where did you want to do it?
Reply 4
Original post by zakimo
Where did you want to do it?

I wanted to do it at Cambridge after a history degree but I cant:frown:
Reply 5
You did your degree at Cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by zakimo
You did your degree at Cambridge?

No I want to do a degree at Cambridge, sorry it was quite misleading.
Reply 7
Yeah thats fine, you can do your degree and then the GDL.
Original post by Duck10101
Which Uni is the most prestigious and best Uni for a Graduate Diploma in Law?
Thank you!
Duck

Hello Duck10101,

Our GDL is endorsed by some of the leading law firms, and we are the preferred training provider to over 30 of them. In actual fact, we have teamed up with leading law firms to design this course.
Furthermore, our network of contacts, a dedicated employability service and a reputation in the legal profession mean we also have an outstanding track-record of finding students legal employment.

If you need any more info, feel free to give us a call on 0800 289997 (freephone) or check out our website.http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/gdl/

If you have any other questions, you can also email our Admissions Team at: [email protected]

Good luck!
Reply 9
If so stuck on Cambridge, why not do the graduate qualifying law degree (LLB in two years) at Cambridge
You don't tend to find "GDL" and "prestige" in the same sentence.
Reply 11
Original post by Greatleysteg
You don't tend to find "GDL" and "prestige" in the same sentence.

Correct and TRUE!
Money down the drain, looking ahead at life slavery!
You WILL NOT LEARN ANYTHING and you will regret it. Truly. Madly. Deeply.
DO NOT sing up. Do a law degree if you wan to learn law and do it at a RG university. With law, it's all or nothing. Do not risk your life, career and other peoples' lives by doing a GDL- you will come out an idiot.
Original post by amiami
Correct and TRUE!
Money down the drain, looking ahead at life slavery!
You WILL NOT LEARN ANYTHING and you will regret it. Truly. Madly. Deeply.
DO NOT sing up. Do a law degree if you wan to learn law and do it at a RG university. With law, it's all or nothing. Do not risk your life, career and other peoples' lives by doing a GDL- you will come out an idiot.

Untrue . Close relative is a trainee in the MC - did degree at Cambridge and self - funded the GDL at the UOL securing a TC ( one of a few offers ) afterwards . On their LPC course about 50% did the GDL and either got their TC in the middle of it or on completion . Think that proves they are not 'an idiot'. Just look at LinkedIn profiles of MC trainees / associates to see how many did the GDL .
Reply 13
I wanted to know at current time which is the best university in UK to do GDL from? Is the answer still BPP/UoL? or currently the university ranking has changed

Quick Reply