The Student Room Group

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cazcardiff
I'm now 40, and even now, without kids, finances wanted my parents financial details! 😳😳. Thankfully, with 3 kids, I'm sorted 😂.

Erm... what? Why would they ask for your parent's financial details? You're an independent student at 40.
Original post by mercuryman
Damn you're extra lucky for being Scottish you can literally do as many degrees as you want; all for free!

What did your mum want you to do? Lemme guess: it's starts with an M and ends with an E? 🎣

No they can't First SAAS ( the Scottish funding agency) will only fund one degree and only if you haven't got one (so if you self funded a degree and never got any funding from SAAS you still can't apply for funding for another degree)Second- While I really appreciate how lucky Scottish students are not to have to pay fees ( for their first degree) most students have to take a loan for maintenance
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Lucky I live in Scotland so I don't have to pay for anything financially towards university tuitions, however, my mum doesnt like the degree course that I want to do at all as she wanted me to do a course that I didn't really see myself doing. It can be quite hard because I just want her to be happy but I don't think she wont be. However, I'm doing this degree for myself and nobody else, as much as I want my mum to be happy I have to think about my own happiness too. It sucks.

When it comes to your uni and career choice, your parents opinions are completely irrelevant. They're not the ones who'll be living your life and one day they'll be too dead to care about your life choices. When considering my life choices, I have not considered my parents one iota because they simply do not matter in this regard.
My parents really want me to go to university in London so I can stay at home and commute. But I honestly don't and I've been told that if I leave, I'm completely on my own, which is fair enough as far as it goes because I know what they're like with me wanting to go to Bristol/Nottingham for uni. What irritates me the most is that they're willing to fund my brother just because he wants to do a Science degree at university and I want to do an Arts. I remember when we went on an open day to Bristol my mum said to me, "Why do you want to move away just for an Arts degree? It's completely worthless. I'd rather fund your brother because at least his degree is worth moving away for."

They're completely insensitive about what I feel so I've decided that I'll rely on my student loans and work part time to keep going.
Original post by Serine Soul
I do feel for people who can't get financial support. My parents are on low income so can't help even if they wanted to, but while the emotional support is there from my dad, it's absent from my mother. I overheard her the other day saying she prays I miss my firm university offer. This hurt so much, especially when that particular university is one I have been working really hard to get to in the past two years.

That is actually so horrible. I thought Indian mothers would kill to have a daughter who has a uni offer from one of the toughest unis the world. :I I do hope you get in though.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My parents really want me to go to university in London so I can stay at home and commute. But I honestly don't and I've been told that if I leave, I'm completely on my own, which is fair enough as far as it goes because I know what they're like with me wanting to go to Bristol/Nottingham for uni. What irritates me the most is that they're willing to fund my brother just because he wants to do a Science degree at university and I want to do an Arts. I remember when we went on an open day to Bristol my mum said to me, "Why do you want to move away just for an Arts degree? It's completely worthless. I'd rather fund your brother because at least his degree is worth moving away for."

They're completely insensitive about what I feel so I've decided that I'll rely on my student loans and work part time to keep going.

Well, your parents are a waste of your time. It's not them going to live your life. You do you-the self supporting will make you much more capable for when you graduate
Original post by super_kawaii
Well, your parents are a waste of your time. It's not them going to live your life. You do you-the self supporting will make you much more capable for when you graduate

It's just that STEM supremacy kind of thing. My dad's accepted I want to do English/History at uni then do a Masters/phD or go into Animal rights law. My mum wants me to jump into Law straight away just so she can boast to everyone how there's a lawyer in her family. But yeah I don't get the blatant double standards with me moving out.
It's alright to tell people to take a year out to earn money, but for some people the reality is that a gap year would be very difficult due to having to find the money to pay rent. The sort of jobs that I could have found (i.e. most likely retail) would have left me very little leeway for food and other expenses. I was better off going straight to university so that I could take out the maximum amount of loans. I still had a job while at uni, and next year I'm planning on having three. Since my course is so long I'll still be graduating with around £97k of debt :sigh: . Fun times.

Anyway, I really feel for people whose parents aren't behind them :frown: You guys work so hard and are awesome. I always find it so awkward when people bring up family, especially in the context of 'going home' for Christmas/Easter/summer. Hahaha, no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 97Y
Just wanted to make a forum/post to people like me, who may be looking at forums and advice documents where it just assumes that your parents are 100% behind you.
You're not alone in not having parents who won't give you a penny towards your studies/living and who didn't ask how any of your exams went.
It can be difficult seeing "and you'll visit for Christmas" because I know that I won't and others may be in the same position too.

Hey guys! Please make yourself known, because I am sure that I am not alone

Mine just drag you down and down until you don't go to university... failed.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It's just that STEM supremacy kind of thing. My dad's accepted I want to do English/History at uni then do a Masters/phD or go into Animal rights law. My mum wants me to jump into Law straight away just so she can boast to everyone how there's a lawyer in her family. But yeah I don't get the blatant double standards with me moving out.

Well they're snobs and snobs are the lowest of the low. There is far more respect in following your ambitions than blindly following the desires of someone who hasn't earned any respect themselves.
Original post by super_kawaii
Well they're snobs and snobs are the lowest of the low. There is far more respect in following your ambitions than blindly following the desires of someone who hasn't earned any respect themselves.

Come on now, you can't call somebody else's parents snobs, that's really disrespectful. The parents wanting you to do a good reputable degree will only act in your own good interests when you get a good job out of it.

I'm not advising that you forcefully do the degree your parents want you to, but don't just end up doing a degree that won't get you anywhere or a decent paying Job after you graduate, times are getting rough.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with you so much! Unfortunately so many people nowadays have a negative mentality where they take everything for granted and allow themselves to be completely financially reliant. My parents have offered to give me money for my studies, but I know how hard they've worked for it themselves (we're a low-income family), and instead have funded myself on my own wages, SF & university bursaries. You feel a lot prouder when you know you work hard and earned that money yourself, and it's your money to spend as you please.
Original post by mercuryman
Come on now, you can't call somebody else's parents snobs, that's really disrespectful. The parents wanting you to do a good reputable degree will only act in your own good interests when you get a good job out of it.

I'm not advising that you forcefully do the degree your parents want you to, but don't just end up doing a degree that won't get you anywhere or a decent paying Job after you graduate, times are getting rough.

But their beliefs that only STEM degrees and law are respectable is completely unfounded and therefore undeserving of respect.

I studied languages at uni, a supposedly non reputable degree, yet I am in serious demand now I've graduated *
Reply 73
Original post by pmc:producer
You know nothing of my position or background. If the truth hurts, that's fine. But we all know wallowing in self-pity instead of adopting a 'get up and go' attitude is the cancer here. Like I said, get a part-time job, become independent - maybe then your parent's will love and support you more.

Oh wow. Troll troll troll
Reply 74
Original post by AQuestion1
If they are not supporting you, how are you coping with this, making sure you can still go to university and do well?

I think this is where drive outstrips those people trying to hold you back. I don't know.. It's just hard sometimes doing everything alone, for yourself with no one to offer any sort of support when they're genetically programmed to
Reply 75
Original post by Serine Soul
If I do get into my firm and earn a nice salary, I'm not giving her a single penny. She has given me zilch support throughout the whole process.

My dad deserves everything I earn though

Preach it! Same here. I think people forget that you won't forget the times when they weren't there for you. Like it's all okay in the end
Reply 76
Original post by AlphaCenturion
I was under the impression that a lot of these "degrees" aren't worth the paper there written on. Whatever, keep funding those hedge funds with your poorly spent money and time at university. And say the actual word "university", it's not "uni".

Wait.. What? You're angry that student grants have been stopped and you're taking your anger out on this forum? We could all be Cambridge students for all you know and that's your comment? Please. If you were in a position for a grant you wouldn't treat people who's parents won't finically support them like this
Reply 77
Original post by phdparker
Anybody here know about becoming an independent student?

I don't really want to see my parents as soon as I go to uni due to issues etc.

Explain the situation to your tutor (you have to be honest, it's a bit crap telling them but you'd be surprised how many academics had crappy parents) and she'll write a letter to Student Finance confirming your status as 'estranged from parents'
Original post by 97Y
Wait.. What? You're angry that student grants have been stopped and you're taking your anger out on this forum? We could all be Cambridge students for all you know and that's your comment? Please. If you were in a position for a grant you wouldn't treat people who's parents won't finically support them like this

That's funny, because there are literally hundreds of universities poping up everywhere and anywhere. The institution that is the university has become a mass capitalised business and most of you are just fools, scammed out of a lot of money, money some of you will never see again. Unless you are doing a worthwhile degree, in a worthwhile "respected" university, don't bother and save your money.
Reply 79
How does one go to college for 4 years? 😅
I think the advice is well founded but most people a) do A-Levels in two b) find rent too high to make working worth it. Working on a low wage whilst paying rent and all other bills basically leaves nothing for saving

Quick Reply

Latest