The Student Room Group

Which TEFL course should I do?

I have completed a Primary PGCE, and will begin my first teaching post in September 2016. Though I am very interested in the idea of teaching English abroad in the future. I have been considering starting an online TEFL course this summer before I begin my NQT year as I know this year will be quite tough (athough I may have to finish the last bits of the course when I start in September anyway.)

I would like to do an online course as this will be more convenient for me and I thought as I already have a teaching qualification I am not worried about gaining the extra teaching practice.

I just wanted some advice on online TEFL courses. Are they worth it? Are there any you would recommend?

I have found two deals, one on Wowcher with TEFLUK.com and one on Groupon with EnjoyTEFL. Are these ones a no go? Or should I just go for it?
Original post by AnonShannon
I have completed a Primary PGCE, and will begin my first teaching post in September 2016. Though I am very interested in the idea of teaching English abroad in the future. I have been considering starting an online TEFL course this summer before I begin my NQT year as I know this year will be quite tough (athough I may have to finish the last bits of the course when I start in September anyway.)

I would like to do an online course as this will be more convenient for me and I thought as I already have a teaching qualification I am not worried about gaining the extra teaching practice.

I just wanted some advice on online TEFL courses. Are they worth it? Are there any you would recommend?

I have found two deals, one on Wowcher with TEFLUK.com and one on Groupon with EnjoyTEFL. Are these ones a no go? Or should I just go for it?

Have you looked at reviews of the TEFL online courses, and if any of them are officially endorsed? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Have you looked at reviews of the TEFL online courses, and if any of them are officially endorsed? :smile:

To be honest I've tried to research the courses I found with Wowcher and Groupon. There are no reviews to be found and just empty Facebook pages so I guess they are a no go. Apart from that I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a TEFL course. Are there any you'd recommend?
Original post by AnonShannon
To be honest I've tried to research the courses I found with Wowcher and Groupon. There are no reviews to be found and just empty Facebook pages so I guess they are a no go. Apart from that I'm not entirely sure what to look for in a TEFL course. Are there any you'd recommend?

Colleges tend to advertise TEFL and Tsol courses, you could ring your local college and ask them abput the qualifications. There usually listed with functional skills.
Reply 4
The CELTA, Trinity TESOL and Pearson CertTEFL (the newest of the bunch, so I'd recommend it less although I have it) are considered the best as you are actually observed teaching and they aren't completely online.
As said above, your PGCE will trump them as you are considered a "proper" teacher. The only thing I would probably say you do is study up on your grammar if you're a bit shaky with it, because my god students will ask you some questions about that. Of course, people do go abroad with basically no knowledge and any old bit of paper with TEFL written on it, but please consider the needs of your students.
Reply 5
Original post by Snow Child
Agreed!
"Teacher, what means 'wanna'? Is not in dictionary!"
"Teacher, is IN same as INTO? How to use?"
"Teacher, how to use past perfect progressive tense?"
"Teacher, why some verbs to use TO?"

Etc etc!

Woe betide you if you have the audacity to say to someone that some elements of English grammar (prepositions) are arbitrary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending