The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I think lots of applicants end up missing the point about extra reading and supercurricular engagement - the point is to explore the subject you're interested in and pursue your interests, not to tick boxes to try and impress people like me. There is no minimum, maximum or even expected amount. Doing nothing outside of school can be a big red flag (it's easy to say you're passionate about Mathematics without doing the hard work) but remember your current schoolwork should be your priority and tons of extra stuff can mean you don't have the time/energy to concentrate on doing the important things well. We also expect you to have a break from time to time! You don't have to fill every waking minute with Mathematics!

Thanks for the reply, I thought this was the case. One last question, in September I will be starting a maths tutoring job do you think this is worthwhile to put on my personal statement?
Original post by alfmeister
Thanks for the reply, I thought this was the case. One last question, in September I will be starting a maths tutoring job do you think this is worthwhile to put on my personal statement?

Maybe? Your personal statement should be a love letter to Mathematics and why you want to devote 3 or 4 years to studying it. If tutoring drives your passion for maths then mention it. If you're just saying it to try and impress people then we'd probably rather hear more about which bits of maths you love instead. In all honesty, the PS isn't very important for Mathematics at Peterhouse and it's very unlikely anything you say would rule you out. Maybe if you threatened to burn the College down we might pass?
I don't recall any, but then few people with an offer for STEP I would choose to sit STEP III.

What is the main purpose of STEP engineering offers ? Is it to test their mathematical ability or is it something that only STEP 1 can test (which cannot be identified by STEP 2/3)
How would you look at self-taught Maths and/or Further Maths?
I don't recall any, but then few people with an offer for STEP I would choose to sit STEP III.

Additionally if you were to reject the candidate with the 1 in STEP 3 but 2 in STEP 1(near miss) what would be the main reason. {If they had a 97ums but a gap yr applicant}
Original post by Duke Glacia
What is the main purpose of STEP engineering offers ? Is it to test their mathematical ability or is it something that only STEP 1 can test (which cannot be identified by STEP 2/3)

We use STEP for Engineers as an extra test of mathematical ability if there were any concerns following interview and the College maths test (to be replaced by the new pre-interview assessment for Engineering this year). We ask for STEP I as we think II or III would be overkill - Engineers need to be pretty sharp at maths but not at the level of our mathematicians.
Original post by Duke Glacia
Additionally if you were to reject the candidate with the 1 in STEP 3 but 2 in STEP 1(near miss) what would be the main reason. {If they had a 97ums but a gap yr applicant}

Such decisions are on a case-by-case basis so I'm afraid I can't really help! We would look at the actual exam script to see where you went wrong - this can tell us a lot.

The reason for rejection would be that they hadn't met the conditions we'd asked for. The only way to guarantee your place is to meet the exact conditions in the offer letter. There is some leniency and flexibility come results day but it's best not to count on this!
Original post by brainzistheword
How would you look at self-taught Maths and/or Further Maths?

Our philosophy is to look at this holistically and in their appropriate context so there's not one single way we'd consider them - it would depend on what else you're doing and your reasons for self-studying. In general we might be a little more lenient if you are self-teaching, but we'd still require pretty strong grades as our Mathematics course at Cambridge moves pretty quickly and we'd want you to be able to hit the ground running.
Our philosophy is to look at this holistically and in their appropriate context so there's not one single way we'd consider them - it would depend on what else you're doing and your reasons for self-studying. In general we might be a little more lenient if you are self-teaching, but we'd still require pretty strong grades as our Mathematics course at Cambridge moves pretty quickly and we'd want you to be able to hit the ground running.

I understand that. If, say, you decided to go to Uni after an Apprenticeship or working, and self-taught yourself around the working day/week - would you look at them differently especially if say 2 or 3 A-levels took longer to complete than college students would normally take (due to work commitments)?
Reply 69
I understand that. If, say, you decided to go to Uni after an Apprenticeship or working, and self-taught yourself around the working day/week - would you look at them differently especially if say 2 or 3 A-levels took longer to complete than college students would normally take (due to work commitments)?

Just to be sure, are you specifically considering Cambridge, as a mature student?

Everything is looked at in context so we would consider this differently to a school-age applicant. We try to give candidates the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, and we're looking for potential as much as past achievements, but we'll likely still expect A*s in maths/FM and high grades at STEP. You might also want to post in the Cambridge mature students thread and see if Emily has any other advice.
Original post by jneill
Just to be sure, are you specifically considering Cambridge, as a mature student?

Well, at the minute I am just considering my options.

Everything is looked at in context so we would consider this differently to a school-age applicant. We try to give candidates the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, and we're looking for potential as much as past achievements, but we'll likely still expect A*s in maths/FM and high grades at STEP. You might also want to post in the Cambridge mature students thread and see if Emily has any other advice.

Ah ok, I'll take a look at that thread - thank you.
Reply 72
Well, at the minute I am just considering my options.

That's fine and very sensible - just wanted to check :smile: Sometimes people post in these threads without realising they may be specific to Cambridge.
Such decisions are on a case-by-case basis so I'm afraid I can't really help! We would look at the actual exam script to see where you went wrong - this can tell us a lot.

The reason for rejection would be that they hadn't met the conditions we'd asked for. The only way to guarantee your place is to meet the exact conditions in the offer letter. There is some leniency and flexibility come results day but it's best not to count on this!

Thak you so much ad i apologize for asking a wierd hypothetical question:tongue: But thank you ayway
What is your opinion on self taught Additional Further Maths AS/A level as an extra alongside 3 other A levels? Would it help an application in any way?
Strong resutls in maths would most likely mean that you would be invited to interview, but if it came to a decision about an offer, the fact you've tried Physics but didn't do so well in it would count against you. On the other hand, your entire application and interview performance might be strong enough to still get an offer regardless.

My general advice would be that if Physics is available candidates should take it. This is not because to get a better chance of getting in,but beacuse if they do get in, they would have an easier time with the appliedmaths/theoretical physics content of the Tripos

Oh right, thanks. So even if I do get an offer, not being good at physics would make some parts of the degree (content) very difficult to learn. Thank you, that's the only problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carly1999
What is your opinion on self taught Additional Further Maths AS/A level as an extra alongside 3 other A levels? Would it help an application in any way?

The more maths the better. This not only helps with interviews and getting good exam grades, but it better prepares you for maths at university wherever you go.
Original post by Chittesh14
Oh right, thanks. So even if I do get an offer, not being good at physics would make some parts of the degree (content) very difficult to learn. Thank you, that's the only problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are extra courses provided for Mathematics students who haven't studied Physics to A level or equivalent, but this adds to the workload even thought that course isn't examined. All of our admissions requirements are there for a reason - applicants should think of their current work as preparation for whichever university they go to, not merely as winning badges to impress admissions staff. It may be hard to believe but we don't ask for things just to be difficult!
If you do all your A levels in year 12, make sure you have a good plan for year 13. Gap years can be problematic for mathematicians.

Do you think that a college would consider Open University Maths courses to be a worthwhile thing to do during my year away from school? What sort of things do mathematicians usually do during a gap year?

Also, what might the university think if I didn't actually attend school in Year 13, but still did some exams then?

Just over/around about half (depending on year and college this can be 40-75%) of offer holders in Mathematics fail to meet their conditions, and these are generally people taking two years to do their A levels and STEP preparation.

Apologies if you've answered this before, but what percentage of maths applicants typically receive offers?

Thank you for your help!
Original post by archipelaglobule
Do you think that a college would consider Open University Maths courses to be a worthwhile thing to do during my year away from school? What sort of things do mathematicians usually do during a gap year?

Also, what might the university think if I didn't actually attend school in Year 13, but still did some exams then?

University-level mathematics can be useful as can tutoring or more challenges like BMO or preparing for STEP (although it's rare that we'd ask you to do STEP again, we could perhaps ask for S,S if you got 1,1 in year 12). The important thing is that you'd be keeping your maths skills up. Why are you not applying for direct entry though?

Original post by archipelaglobule
Apologies if you've answered this before, but what percentage of maths applicants typically receive offers?

Thank you for your help!

Let's talk through http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics.

At Peterhouse over the past two years we've interviewed over 90% of applicants in Mathematics with about 1 in 3 of our applicants getting an offer here and a few more offered via the Winter Pool. Of those made offers at Peterhouse, fewer than half are successful in meeting their conditions. Perhaps one or two mathematicians each year are accepted having just missed their offers and a few might be taken from the Summer Pool. This means that something a little under 1 in 6 applicants for Mathematics start the course here.

Latest