The Student Room Group

Does not owning house make you out to be a failure?

I know it can be difficult for many to own a home in this current climate, but there is a stigma about not owning your own home that can set you out as a failure.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I know it can be difficult for many to own a home in this current climate, but there is a stigma about not owning your own home that can set you out as a failure.

well in london if you manage to buy a house, i think you are doing very well

anything less is about the norm
No ...
No theres not...
:nodots:
I definitely see owning property as something to aspire to. Realistically I probably won't be in the position to buy until my mid-30s, which is depressing because my mum bought her first house at 21 and paid off her mortgage on a different home 7 years ago at 44.
I will personally feel like a failure if I never own a house.
Ive lived in social housing for the last 35 years or so. I could have bought my house when Thatcher brought in the right to buy but was against it.
I don't consider myself to be a failure, and I have never experienced any stigma because of it.

Have you got some statistics/proof of your claim?
No houses in London can cost up to 1 million. Not everyone has that kind of money.
(edited 7 years ago)

What has money got to do with success? :wink:
Reply 7
No and definitely not when house prices are at their current level.
Reply 8
Of course not. Personally I'd like to buy my own house but I wouldn't see someone as a failure if they don't own one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes you a serf.
Original post by saraxh
No houses in London are 1 million. Not everyone has that kind of money.

No you can get a newbuild flat for like 200k in parts of London

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It makes you a serf.

I like your use of language, a serf
Reply 11
Maybe in previous generations this would make some sense (although personally I don't see the big deal, rent places all your life, own a house all your life, so long as you're not homeless w/e, suppose there is the issue of providing for children). But nowadays it seems like to own a house you need far above average success or rich parents.
It doesn't count if you have a mortgage.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Maybe in previous generations this would make some sense (although personally I don't see the big deal, rent places all your life, own a house all your life, so long as you're not homeless w/e, suppose there is the issue of providing for children). But nowadays it seems like to own a house you need far above average success or rich parents.

I disagree, houses up North are extremely affordable. Not that I live ''ooop there''
No... why would you want a debit of £250,000 you will probably only pay off until you are nearly dead. Sounds a bit silly to me.
Original post by saraxh
No houses in London are 1 million. Not everyone has that kind of money.

Not every house. You could pick up one just outside of the congestion charge for £950,000!

Original post by nofixedabode
No... why would you want a debit of £250,000 you will probably only pay off until you are nearly dead. Sounds a bit silly to me.

You won't be "nearly dead" in 25 years, I assure you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nofixedabode

Security, investment and the ability to give your offspring an inheritance.
Original post by Another
Not every house. You could pick up one just outside of the congestion charge for £950,000!

You won't be "nearly dead" in 25 years, I assure you

The average house price is around £500,000
Reply 18
Original post by Atlas Thugged
I disagree, houses up North are extremely affordable. Not that I live ''ooop there''

I don't know much about demographics, only that the average is very high. What kind of prices are they?

Does not owning a lamborghini make you a failure?

Quick Reply

Latest