The Student Room Group

EPQ on discriminatory laws in the UK

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew of any existing laws in the UK, which are discriminatory?
So far, I have:
The laws on rape, which are discriminatory against men;
Divorce law, which discriminates against couples of the same sex;
And someone told me hate speech laws were also discriminatory, but I'm not too sure why

Thanks!
Why is rape discriminatory against men? Becayse a woman cant rape a man?
Why are divorce laws discriminatory against same sex couples?

Whats the objective of your EPQ?
Reply 2
In practice divorce laws have proven to be against men in many cases.
Original post by okey

So how would you explore that in your EPQ?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
So how would you explore that in your EPQ?

I wouldn't, but OP seems to want to find a way.
Why is rape discriminatory against men? Becayse a woman cant rape a man?
Why are divorce laws discriminatory against same sex couples?

Whats the objective of your EPQ?

A woman can rape a man - if he has not given consent, then it should be counted as rape, however only penetration counts as rape, by english law.

And divorce laws are discriminatory because you can only use adultery as a defense if the person who you cheated with was of the opposite sex.

And I think my question will probably be "Are the laws in the UK discriminatory themselves?" or something of that effect - if you could help with a better title, it would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by okey

interesting - but my epq would be on whether discrimination is present due to the way the laws are written, not how they are interpreted to be discriminatory in real life cases.
Original post by leprechaun_100
interesting - but my epq would be on whether discrimination is present due to the way the laws are written, not how they are interpreted to be discriminatory in real life cases.

In that case, I don't think rape laws are discriminatory against men.

You might try employment law and maternity leave.
Original post by Trinculo
In that case, I don't think rape laws are discriminatory against men.

You might try employment law and maternity leave.

Thanks!
But how are the employment laws and maternity laws discriminatory?
I think you should check with your teacher about the scope of your EPQ and that you have a good idea as to what your destination and conclusion will be. You are bound to find some oddities, but unless you can present them as significant and meaningful, then I get the feeling of so what?
Dont make your task harder than it needs to be.
Thanks!
But how are the employment laws and maternity laws discriminatory?

Maternity leave only applies to women. However, there is a battery of rights surrounding them - for example, when a woman takes maternity leave (which in the public sector could last a year or more), she is treated as though she is at work, even though she isn't. So she receives pay rises, increments, promotion as though she is working. A man cannot ever be subject to these rights, as he cannot by definition take up maternity leave.
So if there are two men and a woman on exactly the same pay grade and seniority, and on the same day, the woman goes on maternity leave and one of the men has a car crash - in a years time, the man who didn't have the crash has accrued promotion x and pay rise y through time served. The woman has accrued exactly the same even though she hasn't been at work, and the man who had the car crash (and has been off work) has had no pay except Statutory Sick Pay, and has had no promotion or pay rise.
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew of any existing laws in the UK, which are discriminatory?
So far, I have:
The laws on rape, which are discriminatory against men;
Divorce law, which discriminates against couples of the same sex;
And someone told me hate speech laws were also discriminatory, but I'm not too sure why

Thanks!

I would really avoid such contentious issues for an EPQ unless you can really evaluate both sides clearly in a presentation, etc. - remember the mark is for evaluative, planning and comparative skills shown, not content. However, if you have a particularly left-wing or feminist teacher marking your work, you may piss them off and you really want your supervisor to be on your side!!

I spend hours writing a dissertation and researching the area of blistering autoimmune diseases and got 58/60 for my EPQ, purely because I did a good evaluation and planning. Had I done a political one (which would also have interested me), it would not be relevant for my medicine PS and moreover would probably irritate my supervisor who is left-leaning!
Original post by Trinculo
Maternity leave only applies to women. However, there is a battery of rights surrounding them - for example, when a woman takes maternity leave (which in the public sector could last a year or more), she is treated as though she is at work, even though she isn't. So she receives pay rises, increments, promotion as though she is working. A man cannot ever be subject to these rights, as he cannot by definition take up maternity leave.
So if there are two men and a woman on exactly the same pay grade and seniority, and on the same day, the woman goes on maternity leave and one of the men has a car crash - in a years time, the man who didn't have the crash has accrued promotion x and pay rise y through time served. The woman has accrued exactly the same even though she hasn't been at work, and the man who had the car crash (and has been off work) has had no pay except Statutory Sick Pay, and has had no promotion or pay rise.

that makes a lot of sense - thanks!
I think you should check with your teacher about the scope of your EPQ and that you have a good idea as to what your destination and conclusion will be. You are bound to find some oddities, but unless you can present them as significant and meaningful, then I get the feeling of so what?
Dont make your task harder than it needs to be.

my teacher told me this was fine - however; my title is still a bit on the rocks, but she said to just research content and that we can work out a title with the information I get
Original post by Cadherin
I would really avoid such contentious issues for an EPQ unless you can really evaluate both sides clearly in a presentation, etc. - remember the mark is for evaluative, planning and comparative skills shown, not content. However, if you have a particularly left-wing or feminist teacher marking your work, you may piss them off and you really want your supervisor to be on your side!!

I spend hours writing a dissertation and researching the area of blistering autoimmune diseases and got 58/60 for my EPQ, purely because I did a good evaluation and planning. Had I done a political one (which would also have interested me), it would not be relevant for my medicine PS and moreover would probably irritate my supervisor who is left-leaning!

Thanks for your reply! But, my teacher has already told me this is ok, and she's quite open-minded so her views won't influence her marking. And I want to study law at university so this sort of topic is highly relevant for me, but it may not have been relevant for you

Quick Reply

Latest