The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
You seem the most active-minded about race, though. You've made this whole conversation about apparent racism from OP's side.

so I'm being active-minded about race for telling somebody they shouldn't be racist......? racism and racial neutrality aren't the same - you're thinking of "being passive to racism" which I don't condone
Original post by sleepysnooze
so I'm being active-minded about race for telling somebody they shouldn't be racist......? racism and racial neutrality aren't the same - you're thinking of "being passive to racism" which I don't condone

Well, yeah.. you're accusing OP of being racist when OP is not being racist. If anything, your insistence to brush the "arbitrary implications of race" under the rug for your own convenience, completely ignoring real experiences of POCs that you have not had to go through yourself, is what could be considered racist.
Well, yeah.. you're accusing OP of being racist when OP is not being racist. If anything, your insistence to brush the "arbitrary implications of race" under the rug for your own convenience, completely ignoring real experiences of POCs that you have not had to go through yourself, is what could be considered racist.

they literally are being racist though. they're definitely being racist if the criterion of "racist" is "what white people are accused of racism for" which most people seem to subscribe to.
they literally are being racist though. they're definitely being racist if the criterion of "racist" is "what white people are accused of racism for" which most people seem to subscribe to.

This is what OP wrote:

Original post by Aishadee
Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly. Which universities would you guys recommend in terms of high diversity?
The definition of racism is:
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Would you be so kind as to point out where exactly OP has indicated that their race is superior to any other?

Ironically, it is the very product of racism that makes people like OP feel uncomfortable when they don't fit in. Maybe if you don't like what OP is suggesting, you are better off addressing the root cause that is xenophobia and racism within our country against ethnic minorities itself that pushes people to limit themselves to only racially diverse institutions.
This is what OP wrote:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Would you be so kind as to point out where exactly OP has indicated that their race is superior to any other?

they have a view that one race is better because why else are they wanting to segregate themselves off from the other races in favour of one in particular? what would be the point without that purpose of desiring one as being the higher ranking race in this context?

Ironically, it is the very product of racism that makes people like OP feel uncomfortable when they don't fit in.

oh don't you start going down that line. you're basically saying that it's white people's fault in 2016 that any racism exists, when white people in 2016 aren't racist. this is the kind of thought process that justifies racist movements like "black lives matter" (a very misleading name, I might add) and third wave feminism's "white privilege" garbage

Maybe if you don't like what OP is suggesting, you are better off addressing the root cause that is xenophobia and racism within our country against ethnic minorities itself that pushes people to limit themselves to only racially diverse institutions.

"white people are evil" bla bla bla
modern white countries have been recorded as being the *least* racist in the world, predominantly.
basically you want segregation? But weird imo
they have a view that one race is better because why else are they wanting to segregate themselves off from the other races in favour of one in particular? what would be the point without that purpose of desiring one as being the higher ranking race in this context?

oh don't you start going down that line. you're basically saying that it's white people's fault in 2016 that any racism exists, when white people in 2016 aren't racist. this is the kind of thought process that justifies racist movements like "black lives matter" (a very misleading name, I might add) and third wave feminism's "white privilege" garbage

"white people are evil" bla bla bla
modern white countries have been recorded as being the *least* racist in the world, predominantly.

Why are you getting so triggered? You're yet to provide me with the evidence that suggests OP thinks British Africans are superior to all other races. All OP suggested was that they feel more comfortable when they are in a racially diverse institution, where people from every creed and colour can work and study in harmony - including white people. It's your choice if you want to play victim and demonise OP, but you need to provide evidence.
This is what OP wrote:

Ironically, it is the very product of racism that makes people like OP feel uncomfortable when they don't fit in. Maybe if you don't like what OP is suggesting, you are better off addressing the root cause that is xenophobia and racism within our country against ethnic minorities itself that pushes people to limit themselves to only racially diverse institutions.

The irony is that e most racist people I've hear of or met are non-White. So maybe the ethnic minorities should make more of an effort to intergrate instead of making communities and societies at uni. This comes from experience not copy and paste.
Original post by Rorytymon
The irony is that e most racist people I've hear of or met are non-White. So maybe the ethnic minorities should make more of an effort to intergrate instead of making communities and societies at uni. This comes from experience not copy and paste.

And...you do realise that when ethnic minorities integrate, that's when an institution becomes multicultural and diverse?! Where is your logic?

How can you want ethnic minorities to integrate and at the same time be against racially diverse institutions?
And...you do realise that when ethnic minorities integrate, that's when an institution becomes multicultural and diverse?! Where is your logic?

In trying to act clever, you have indeed made a fool of yourself. Big words make little work of people like you :smile:

Goodbye.
Reply 90
This thread is still going on? Wow.

How can you want ethnic minorities to integrate and at the same time be against racially diverse institutions?

yeah, let's just ignore the vast amounts of clearly culturally homogenous communities in the UK. let's just brush it all under the rush. let's not call it "poly monoculturalism" and call it "multicultural" because that sounds nicer...british people in the UK are the default (so it's not their responsibility to integrate), but these non-british immigrants never wanted to integrate - they simply made their own "little *former nation*" communities. that's why you have china town and so on in the US.
(edited 7 years ago)
Those universities with the most diversity are often the ones that also have "safe spaces" and campus censorship on free speech, so you should probably stay far away from those if you have any respect for western values.

See this as my community service warning.
Why is there a debate about racism now, it's not really relevant as OP didn't say anything racist and appears to be trying to avoid racism by looking for diversity. This debate isn't contributing anything to the thread and is going nowhere. Let's just calm down and either let it go or answer OP's question :h:.
Original post by Rorytymon
In trying to act clever, you have indeed made a fool of yourself. Big words make little work of people like you :smile:

Goodbye.

Why reply if you're just going to ramble and make no point whatsoever?
Reply 95
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470156448.553643.jpg
I'm just so sick of this kind of racism that's excused just because you're not white - I'm sorry but if you were white you would be *crucified* for this kind of thread and you know it. I'm really fed up of this "I can't be racist - I'm not white" arrogance

I want to permanently settle down in an area which is inherently diverse, so my children get an early exposure to many types of cultures. Didn't realise that made me racist now.
yes I did

No you didn't, and I'm still waiting. Unless you want to deviate from the true definition of racism to suit your agenda, you're not being factually correct. Segregation is not the same as integration. If OP wanted to segregate black people from white people, they would have said "I'm looking for a university where white people aren't allowed to study with us", not "I'm looking for a university where diversity is rife and multiculturalism flourishes in the most positive way". They simply want an environment where they don't feel alienated because of their race. If that's racism to you then you simply don't understand racism. In fact, you're wildly off in your definition.

why would she think so racially though? why not think like this about eye colour, or the lengths of people's hair? why just race?

Of course you'd ask such a daft question - you want to be oblivious of the arbitrary implications of race. No one who has ever picked up a history book equates skin colour to hair length in a serious tone.

I find this so funny - you're so trapped in this "they're not white so they're not being racist" moment that you can't see through it. they've said "I want to study with non-whites because I feel more comfortable with them" yet you're still seeing this through to the end, probably because you have a mentality of commitment being important. well there's nothing wrong with merely realising the truth of a situation.

How do you know that OP feels more comfortable with solely non-white individuals? Did you know that there's a difference between staying away from white people solely because they're white (i.e. racism) and wanting an environment where all races can come together and work/enjoy themselves? You're taking this to wholly unnecessary extremes.
yeah, let's just ignore the vast amounts of clearly culturally homogenous communities in the UK. let's just brush it all under the rush. let's not call it "poly monoculturalism" and call it "multicultural" because that sounds nicer...british people in the UK are the default (so it's not their responsibility to integrate), but these non-british immigrants never wanted to integrate - they simply made their own "little *former nation*" communities. that's why you have china town and so on in the US.

Are you against these culturally homogeneous communities?

Also, did you know that British people are not all white? Since when did this become about nationality and immigration?
Original post by Another
I want to permanently settle down in an area which is inherently diverse, so my children get an early exposure to many types of cultures. Didn't realise that made me racist now.

so you treat different cultures as if they're like a zoo or something? wow. I mean, if you're going to engineer your kid's upbringing, something like *this* is just going to make matters worse. my parents never did anything like this - they never even talked about race. they gave me the impression that there was no reason to be prejudiced against people of different races, so funnily enough, I never became a racist. aiming to probe them into a "culturally diverse community" (and trust me, there are very few genuinely "diverse" communities in this country) is just going to make them think about race too much, if your intention is as obvious as it is.

Latest