The Student Room Group

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family

Scroll to see replies

Don't shoot me down for this but what I have found is people with parents who have higher incomes tend to support their children less financially. Whereas, low income parents try to do as much as they can for their children where they can financially respected.

For example, children with higher income parents get lower loan and grant etc because the parents are expected to help them out etc when always that isn't the case. Me and my sister get the highest grant and loan available, our parents still help us out here and there. They have NEVER refused to help us when it's needed. I do think it's sad.

When I have children, I will support them financially to the best of my ability and give them whatever they need. No this doesn't mean expensive gadgets etc, just basic necessities as finacial support, food and shelter etc.

It's sad to see people who have high income not wanting to help their own children, even though they have the money to do so.

By the way, I'm talking from personal experience. I hope all parents aren't like this.
Original post by Platopus
It means you can get a job, which, coupled with a maintenance loan, would provide sufficient income to support you.

You can get a job from the age of 16, probably even younger.
Some people get the lowest amount of maintenance which often means that they wouldn't be able to support themselves even with a part time job
Reply 122
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Lucky I live in Scotland so I don't have to pay for anything financially towards university tuitions, however, my mum doesnt like the degree course that I want to do at all as she wanted me to do a course that I didn't really see myself doing. It can be quite hard because I just want her to be happy but I don't think she wont be. However, I'm doing this degree for myself and nobody else, as much as I want my mum to be happy I have to think about my own happiness too. It sucks.

Omg I'm in the exact same position. My mum wants me to pursue a career in medicine or some other science degree whereas i want to do history. So i know they won't finance me and i really don't know what to do.:frown:
Original post by NimcoA
Omg I'm in the exact same position. My mum wants me to pursue a career in medicine or some other science degree whereas i want to do history. So i know they won't finance me and i really don't know what to do.:frown:

Get the biggest overdraft you can and work full time over holidays and part time over your course so you can fund your own maintenance for a history degree.

If you have no desire to study medicine it'll just be a waste of everyone's time and money as you'll not do any work and will only get kicked out for failing the course as a result.
I'm on both sides of the fence,

One one hand I get barely any loan and can just cover my rent (with £22 to last me for three months) but my parents do help me and support me whereever they can even though I work as well.

I do think they should take tax into account. Like yeah my dad earns 45k but he only brings home around 35k ish. I should be assessed on the number that he brings home rather than the amount he earns on paper. Because all that tax is money that lowers how much I get...yet he can't use it to help me..
Original post by cherryred90s
You can get a job from the age of 16, probably even younger.
Some people get the lowest amount of maintenance which often means that they wouldn't be able to support themselves even with a part time job

Yes, but at age 18 they have to pay you the minimum wage for adults. And I know several people who have supported themselves on the minimum maintenance loan and no part time job, actually.
Reply 126
Yes, but at age 18 they have to pay you the minimum wage for adults. And I know several people who have supported themselves on the minimum maintenance loan and no part time job, actually.

That's a £100 a week over 9 months to live. Hmm. Considering rent is much higher I wouldn't bet on it. Even shared accommodation that's the cheapest at £70 a week won't allow you to do anything
Original post by 97Y
This wasn't meant to be a forum for people to give financial advice, but the rest, yes! It's either both or one of them, if she can't support you financially then that's that but then if there is no emotional support. That's where it gets hard..

I got my first year results and she spent a good few minutes down the phone ranting at me because 'I've got a crap degree from a crap uni and it's a waste of time me doing a degree' (even in Chemistry)

Minimum wage isn't anything to shout about, it's very poor, especially if you're only working part time.
And really? Their accomodation must cost peanuts. Either that or they're eating very little
Reply 129
Angry Redhead - we meet again! You're doing a degree in chemistry and she says that it's a waste of time..? Riiiiight
Simply because when you're 30 you're more prepared for life - i.e have a lot more money, have a car, have a job, and maybe a flat or house-share. At 30, you are more financially dependent than when you're 18.

18 is hardly the moment where you say "you're an adult, so now you have to do things on your own." - 30 is where you have an extra 12 years of life experience...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AlphaCenturion
I don't give a damn if your parents are supportive or not. What I'm saying is, you should all think twice before plunging yourselves into high levels of debt, roughly £50,000 on average. And for what? A degree, something that doesn't guarantee a job. What if something goes wrong during your studies? You're screwed. If you don't get a 1 or atleast a 2:1 then forget about it. To much risk for not enough reward. And if your parents can't help you, grow up. It's their choice to do what they want with their own money. I'm sure they would rather use their money for something they want, rather then paying for their child to drink, party and shag for several years, probably to only come back home afterwards anyway.

Ridiculious - to not be stuck in a dead-end job, you need a degree; especially in professions such as medicine, teaching, government, business, etc.

I wouldn't be able to become a teacher or join the publishing industry without a degree in English. This is the same for many people who go and get degrees. I've met only a small handful of people who go to uni just for the hell of it; to drink party and live the hedonistic lifestyle. Some may go not knowing what they are going for other than I loved their subject at A-level, and wish to continue to progress at higher education. There's nothing wrong with that.

You sound so bitter, it's nauseating.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I would be too embarrassed to ask my family for money. I'm hoping to get a part-time job.

I'm like that.

But our pride can be our downfall.

There is no shame for asking for help though. I learned that the hard way. If you're in any trouble; economical or health-wise, ask for help. It is better to struggle to keep afloat than to drown sweetheart.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The thing I'm most worried about is having to go back to them if I'm dangerously poor or something. But I don't think that'll happen if I'm strict with my money. I can't tell you how hard it is being a teenager and not being allowed to be a normal one. I've missed out on so many years of my life so hopefully at uni I'll make up for it.

It's very, like very difficult to support yourself financially if you have little to no support e.g. family or a job.

Uni is the time when 18-24 are most socially active; they will go out and spend money on food, nights out, cinema, etc etc. It's a social institution where you need to have money.

It also get's a lot harder if you wish to look for a house because some of the deposits could take a huge chunk out of your wallet if you have no way of supplementing that money back.

If you can budget right, then you'll be OK. But it will be very difficult, especially if you want to join societies that often go out for their meetings and so forth.

I would say think very carefully and try, try very hard to get a job because i've been in financial difficulty (I have a supportive parent [we're just estranged]) and it was horrendous feeling whilst you have got to worry about studying, friendships, living, flatmates, etc. It gets very heavy and no matter what age you are, life does not prepare you for debt (that you can't pay back when the collectors come knocking). I also advise NOT to take out a student bank loan if you can't pay it back within 12 months.
Original post by 97Y
Falling out over money.. Do it every week and it's Hell, makes me very bitter. I suppose it's worse if you know that they can but simply won't

That's awful :frown: Can I ask what's their reasoning for not giving a penny to find your studies?
Original post by 97Y
That's a £100 a week over 9 months to live. Hmm. Considering rent is much higher I wouldn't bet on it. Even shared accommodation that's the cheapest at £70 a week won't allow you to do anything

Exactly. My uni rent was £125 a week and my house this Sept is a 12 month contract for £104 a week, excluding bills.

I had money just about enough. But because I needed to put a deposit down on my house in Jan, it would have left me in the minus. So I had to ask for financial aid from my uni.
However, £70 is pretty doable in my own experience. I've never had to spend that much unless I would be visiting friends or travelling home (on top of weekly shops and things).

Don't even get me started on course book materials if you do something like English, Law or Medicine! Uni text books are horrendously expensive.

PS: Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread!
Wow, some of you guys make me feel so lucky to have a supportive family. :cry2:

If I go to uni, my mum would tell all her friends and relatives. She just wants me to do whatever makes me happy. My dad will be supportive as well, but not as emotional as my mum would be. He said he would drive me if I get into my firm choice uni, which takes several hours to drive there. And he works full-time.

I'll be applying next year for a STEM course. Anxious to get year 12 stuff out the way!
Original post by 97Y
Angry Redhead - we meet again! You're doing a degree in chemistry and she says that it's a waste of time..? Riiiiight

Ikr? The irony is that she did a theology degree and hasn't done a formal course on science in her life and she thinks she knows everything about it
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It's very, like very difficult to support yourself financially if you have little to no support e.g. family or a job.

Uni is the time when 18-24 are most socially active; they will go out and spend money on food, nights out, cinema, etc etc. It's a social institution where you need to have money.

It also get's a lot harder if you wish to look for a house because some of the deposits could take a huge chunk out of your wallet if you have no way of supplementing that money back.

If you can budget right, then you'll be OK. But it will be very difficult, especially if you want to join societies that often go out for their meetings and so forth.

I would say think very carefully and try, try very hard to get a job because i've been in financial difficulty (I have a supportive parent [we're just estranged]) and it was horrendous feeling whilst you have got to worry about studying, friendships, living, flatmates, etc. It gets very heavy and no matter what age you are, life does not prepare you for debt (that you can't pay back when the collectors come knocking). I also advise NOT to take out a student bank loan if you can't pay it back within 12 months.

Yeah. I have huge respect for people who get through uni by themselves.

One of my friends actually got 2 sugar daddies because her financial position is so dire. She's going to Nottingham next year because she's going to be estranged from her parents (who sound so much worse than mine). While I personally don't think I'd do it at all even though I support her fully, I'd rather do two part time jobs or something.
Reply 139
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Exactly. My uni rent was £125 a week and my house this Sept is a 12 month contract for £104 a week, excluding bills.

I had money just about enough. But because I needed to put a deposit down on my house in Jan, it would have left me in the minus. So I had to ask for financial aid from my uni.
However, £70 is pretty doable in my own experience. I've never had to spend that much unless I would be visiting friends or travelling home (on top of weekly shops and things).

Don't even get me started on course book materials if you do something like English, Law or Medicine! Uni text books are horrendously expensive.

PS: Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread!

No, I totally agree! The costs are horrendous. Luckily they supply chem ones 😅 Student finance are taking the piss with me so I may have to ask for financial aid, have to wait 6 more weeks for a decision! Despite sending it off on the first day when applications opened. Being foreign, eh?

I also meant £30 left over after the £70 spent ;-) that's not doable.. Not if you have to take a bus or want to buy stationary or anything other than cheap food

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending