The Student Room Group

Revision

Hello! I struggle to revise effectively but I still do well in some subjects. I particularly find chemistry, physics and chemistry revision difficult. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
-Libby x
Start off by making revision notes using the specification for each subject. After you have done this, make sure you understand everything you've made notes on. If not, use a textbook and read it until you do. Then do as many questions and past papers you can find.
Original post by LDavies1303
Hello! I struggle to revise effectively but I still do well in some subjects. I particularly find chemistry, physics and chemistry revision difficult. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
-Libby x

Hi Libby,
I've just started my GCSE science revision yesterday, revising everything I was supposed to have been taught in year 10. I never used to like revision, just rereading notes, but I started doing it properly and it helped me a lot! Here are some things that might help:

1. I downloaded an app called Todait from the Google play store, which lets you set a deadline (I did September) and the amount of topics or time you want to revise, then time yourself while revising so you can keep track of progress. It's a bit nicer than having an exact timetable you have to stick to but you still get things done. I'm trying to get ahead over the holidays so that I don't have a pile of revision materials to make in my GCSE year.

2. Watch YouTube tutorials for chemistry and make notecards... GCSEChemistryTeacher is the channel I revise from, if you're with OCR.
Works best if you have an exam board revision guide too, maybe borrow one from school library? I've only done this for chemistry, but in my y10 mocks I did this and got 71/75 so it definitely helped.

3. I just got loads of nice notebooks and stationery, and made multicoloured notes pages which are a bit more fun to do and nicer to look at than a page of bullet points. I've got different books and notecards for each subject.

Hope this helped.:h:
Reply 3
Original post by MusiK.622
Hi Libby,
I've just started my GCSE science revision yesterday, revising everything I was supposed to have been taught in year 10. I never used to like revision, just rereading notes, but I started doing it properly and it helped me a lot! Here are some things that might help:

1. I downloaded an app called Todait from the Google play store, which lets you set a deadline (I did September) and the amount of topics or time you want to revise, then time yourself while revising so you can keep track of progress. It's a bit nicer than having an exact timetable you have to stick to but you still get things done. I'm trying to get ahead over the holidays so that I don't have a pile of revision materials to make in my GCSE year.

2. Watch YouTube tutorials for chemistry and make notecards... GCSEChemistryTeacher is the channel I revise from, if you're with OCR.
Works best if you have an exam board revision guide too, maybe borrow one from school library? I've only done this for chemistry, but in my y10 mocks I did this and got 71/75 so it definitely helped.

3. I just got loads of nice notebooks and stationery, and made multicoloured notes pages which are a bit more fun to do and nicer to look at than a page of bullet points. I've got different books and notecards for each subject.

This helped a bunch, thanks! :smile:
Original post by MusiK.622
Hi Libby,

Hi, I also do OCR Gateway Science. Do you do triple science and would you like to study with me on TSR??
Science is a pretty big subject so make sure you space out your revision for it (I decided to leave myself about a week for each chapter, done alright but wasn't great for my stress levels!)

The way I revise is my going through pages in the textbook, cutting out all the irrelevant information and making bullet points or notes on exactly and only what you need to know. You can try make it more interesting with colours highlighting etc. but it isn't a great method for studying large chunks

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by *Alisha*
Hi, I also do OCR Gateway Science. Do you do triple science and would you like to study with me on TSR??

Heyyy
As it happens I do take triple science. Studying sounds great :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest