The Student Room Group

What to expect in Year 10 ? HELP

I am going to be in year 10 in September. The options I picked are: Geography, French, Triple Science and P.E. What do I expect when I hit year 10
The transition between 9 and 10 is pretty smooth actually. 10 to 11 is kinda harder because they kinda rush to teach everything in time so its stressful.
Just be aware that the year forms half, even more of the content for your GCSES so stay organised, do your homework, revise for the tests and make notes as you go along. That will make everything SO much easier and you'll remember the content well if you work continuously and so not have to stress too much at year 11 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ali Faizi
I am going to be in year 10 in September. The options I picked are: Geography, French, Triple Science and P.E. What do I expect when I hit year 10

You'll be starting or should've started your GCSE courses for your subjects and be covering new content throughout the year. No coursework - It will be harder. Manage your time wisely, do all h/w and revising will help you survive Year 10.

If you have any inquires feel free to PM me. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Reply 5
not gonna lie for me geography is awful there is absolutely to much coursework... but as for year 10 as whole its going to go by so fast and year 11 is going to go by faster so if i were you i would keep my head down and work cause everything you learn now will be so helpful in year 10.

hope this helps:smile:
Original post by woooooo
not gonna lie for me geography is awful there is absolutely to much coursework... but as for year 10 as whole its going to go by so fast and year 11 is going to go by faster so if i were you i would keep my head down and work cause everything you learn now will be so helpful in year 10.

hope this helps:smile:

what do you study now? Or are you still in year 10/11 :smile:
Reply 7
I'm going to year 11 so u could say i'm fresh out of year 10 lol.... if you have any other questions about year 10 dont hesitate to ask
So I've just finished my GCSEs and I hope this gives you a bit of advice! I've never taken Geography so I can't comment on that as I went for History instead but I did take Triple Science and PE. Obviously we might not be on the same exam boards but for me a lot of the Biology linked to PE. The triple science courses were hard at times but just make sure to take clear notes from lessons and if you are in the slightest unsure, ask your teacher. They're there to help you and for me, my Physics teacher was a star who would stay behind most days just to make sure that people were on track. Chemistry was the worst exam wise so just make sure that when it comes to revision you have an equal balance of notes as well as reading through past exams because a lot of the time they just recycle the questions. As for PE, I didn't like it too much but my teacher wasn't fantastic so that's probably part of it. Aim to get a good practical grade which will take a lot of pressure off in the exam and learn the mark scheme because the way that the actual exam paper wants you to answer is pretty odd. I'd say make sure to do quite a few past exams for this. Overall, study hard and try your best but don't burn yourself out too soon. I massively stressed about my November mocks and it wasn't good at all. Obviously treat all of your mocks as real exams since it will give you a true indication of how you're doing but most importantly, no-one can say anything less of you so long as you've tried your best. Good luck with your GCSEs! :-)
If you want to know what to expect content wise then no one can really help you as its your year group that start the new grading scale and content for every GCSE subject.

I took Geography and PE and they're not that difficult, but of course I was on the old GCSE and GCSE grading scale whereas you're on the new 9-1 grading scale.

It shouldn't be too difficult, and the transition from year 9 to 10 is very smooth. Work hard in Year 10 and make sure you don't fall behind on work. I got quite a bit of homework. I did triple science but that was compulsory if you were in Set 1 for Science where I went. I wouldn't say triple science is difficult, but it was very fast-paced for my class, obviously because it was compulsory for our set 1 classes.

Try not to worry about Year 10, it's actually pretty fun.
Triple Science will be incredibly hard for you (and me), now that there is the new 9-1 papers. Luckily, there are going to be less exams (6 written exams and 0 practical exams I think) opposed to 9 written exams and 3 practical exams. However, this doesn't mean there is less content. In fact, there is a ton more content that you'll need to know. As long as you work hard, you can get good grades :smile:
Reply 11

Geography coursework is hell as there's just so much to do. Try and get it all done quickly and don't leave it until the last minute like I did :redface:

French isn't too difficult, again, just get the coursework done (if there still is any). I recommend using http://www.memrise.com/home/ for learning vocab. The website has their own French courses but you can also search for your exam board.

Triple Science was a pain sometimes. If you don't understand something, don't just leave it and say to yourself ''Oh I'll just teach myself it when the exam gets closer'' because chances are, you won't.

I didn't do PE so I can't say anything about that.

Year 10 is actually a fun year. I'd say it was my favourite but I think Year 9 beat it :tongue: Enjoy it and good luck!
It's not too difficult, don't worry about it! Going from year 9 to year 10 isn't much of a difference at all so you should find it relatively easy to settle in. As long as you manage to keep on top of your work this year and not fall behind, you should be fine for year 11 and your GCSEs. Good luck and have fun! I enjoyed triple science, but I didn't take any of your other subjects. If you get along with science well enough, it's not that difficult to manage like lot of people make out. You'll be fine!
Original post by JT_888
You'll be starting or should've started your GCSE courses for your subjects and be covering new content throughout the year. No coursework - It will be harder. Manage your time wisely, do all h/w and revising will help you survive Year 10.

If you have any inquires feel free to PM me. :biggrin:

Profile pic twin.

year 10 was such a highlight for me. so much fun. also remember any work you put in now is only going to benefit you for the future (you'd rather be revising now than the day before your exam - i have physics tomorrow lol). good luck i hope you have a great time!!

Quick Reply

Latest