The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oli2tup
sleepy snooze, I don’t disagree with everything you said, but have you considered that maybe OP wants to go to an area with diversity (or an area with a large amount of people of his own race) not due to colour but due to cultural similarities. You could have lived in England your entire life and find that although you share a lot of similarities in terms of hobbies with people not of your own race or upbringing (who have also live in the same country as you their entire life) the opinions and ideologies on general issues differ significantly and although this isn't a huge deal and having different opinions on some things doesn't mean you can't connect with someone it’s just nice to be around like minded people who see things from your perspective as we are socia creatures and like to bond with people and that is easier with people who see the world as you do, the general thinking is although not guaranted the odds are more in your favour to find those people ehrn they look like you. I don’t disagree with some of the points you’ve brought up e.g. ‘I’m really fed up of this "I can't be racist - I'm not white" arrogance' I am black and have seen this a lot especially when it comes to stereotypes, white men can’t jump’ a funny statement when said by a person of colour but as soon as a white person says black people can’t swim’ they could be seen as racist but in this specific case I disagree.

well, I'm open to that possibility (cultural similarities), but I would have thought the OP would have discussed that themselves, but they didn't, so I'm inclined against it I'm afraid. if they suddenly jumped in now and said "yes! this is what I meant actually" then I'd see it as too convenient
also, "cultural similarities"? like what? religion? and what else?
Original post by sleepysnooze
if I chose to go to a uni because there were few black people, would you call me a racist?

Why do you have to make an argument over nothing?

I get your first point. But this scenario you described is completely different to what they meant.
Reply 122
well, I'm open to that possibility (cultural similarities), but I would have thought the OP would have discussed that themselves, but they didn't, so I'm inclined against it I'm afraid. if they suddenly jumped in now and said "yes! this is what I meant actually" then I'd see it as too convenient
also, "cultural similarities"? like what? religion? and what else?

Sometimes you have thoughts that are complex and are difficult to articulate; saying 'which uni is best for diversity' is catchier, quicker, gets a simpler answer and engages people in conversation. Cultural similarities, this depends of on a lot of variables. I’m a second gen immigrant ,lived in the UK most of my life my parents however haven’t and therefore my upbringing is different to a lot of the people I meet ,I had a curfew of 9pm and had to be in bed by 10pm (excluding holidays) till I was 17 and had to fight my parents to get rid of that, something a lot of people who haven't had the same upbringing couldn’twrap their heads around (not all white, I’ve had black people not be able to understand my parent perspective on this too) Like I said I personal find that some white people do share a lot of my opinions, ideologies and can relate but the general thinking is that you’re more likely to find people who can relate to you when surrounded by people who look like you. This is just an example there are lots but mainly a pattern of knowledge ,belief and behaviour , ultimately the little factors that matter in terms of cutral differences.
I live in Manchester. Uni of Manchester and Man Met are defo very diverse! Imperial also looks to be very diverse due to internationals
Original post by oli2tup
Sometimes you have thoughts that are complex and are difficult to articulate; saying 'which uni is best for diversity' is catchier, quicker, gets a simpler answer and engages people in conversation. Cultural similarities, this depends of on a lot of variables. I’m a second gen immigrant ,lived in the UK most of my life my parents however haven’t and therefore my upbringing is different to a lot of the people I meet ,I had a curfew of 9pm and had to be in bed by 10pm (excluding holidays) till I was 17 and had to fight my parents to get rid of that, something a lot of people who haven't had the same upbringing couldn’twrap their heads around (not all white, I’ve had black people not be able to understand my parent perspective on this too) Like I said I personal find that some white people do share a lot of my opinions, ideologies and can relate but the general thinking is that you’re more likely to find people who can relate to you when surrounded by people who look like you. This is just an example there are lots but mainly a pattern of knowledge ,belief and behaviour , ultimately the little factors that matter in terms of cutral differences.

this kind of sounds like sophistry.
Reply 125
this kind of sounds like sophistry.

ok GL to you.
Original post by oli2tup
ok GL to you.

well it does. doesn't it. I mean, you sound very much as if you're pulling at strings and venturing into pretty desperate lengths just to justify their statements as non-racist. but come on. you shouldn't have to reach into such far-fetched and remote explanations to explain something that should be quite simple. I mean, they've already explained themselves too - why do we need this extra layer of unnecessary explanations? it's almost as if you're overruling them.
Reply 127
I will go Greenwich uni because its close to home and is very diverse which means i am less likely to get racially abuse because its close to my diverse community and the uni itself is diverse this is the type of question I would ask If i wasn't going to this uni because I know I am less likely to feel isolated :smile: and feel more comfortable because their is diversity everywhere and I wont be the odd one out.
that's kind of a proxy though, isn't it - whenever people say "diversity" they pretty much just mean "non-white" - I know the tone of this message is now suddenly "omg so racist!!" because of the stigma behind defending white people (funny that), but believe me I am only commenting here because I hate two-faced racism more than I hate regular racism - at least regular racism doesn't try and disguise its true motive - this kind of "I'm not white so I'm not racist *followed by racist statements*" is so sickeningly dishonest and opportunistic

Consider the difference between saying "I only want an all-white university" and "I want a university where I can be guaranteed that more than three people won't hate me just because I am white."
Original post by longsightdon
I live in Manchester. Uni of Manchester and Man Met are defo very diverse! Imperial also looks to be very diverse due to internationals

Uh - "diverse" means there's lots of different types of people. Imperial is like everyone's Chinese.
To be honest all universities are pretty diverse as shown by my local area near a Small University there is a great mix of culture and ethnicity's would recommend Cardiff University (Bit biased tbh). Just do what you feel comfortable doing if you want to go to a uni go to there your bound to meet people who love you for who you are. :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by Aishadee
Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly

. Which universities would you guys recommend in terms of high diversity?

So you feel you need to be amongst plenty of other racial minorities to fit in? Race shouldn't be relevant.

I can understand a person wanting to go to a uni with diversity in the sense of intellectual and ideological diversity. That's fantastic. The best way of getting that is for each uni to admit applicants with the highest academic potential. That is separate from ethnic diversity.

It is very easy for a British uni to increase its 'ethnic diversity' - simply admit more ethnic minorities. Having 'ethnic diversity' as a criterion for selecting a uni just encourages unis to positively discriminate.

You are being racist here because you care about the ethnic composition of a student body. RACE DOES NOT MATTER. You should feel comfortable with a person because they are kind and good. Compassion transcends all races.

And before people jump down my throat with 'you don't understand how it feels to be the only *insert ethnicity* in an academic setting blah blah', actually, yes I ****ing do. I have been the only person of my ethnicity in my classes in my whole school career. Furthermore, I would be an ethnic minority in almost everywhere in the whole ****in world, if not the whole world, because I'm mixed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol at the few people saying the OP is racist because they prefer a diverse Uni/area

As a British African, Carribean... My family and I have experienced loads of racism..its still a problem

So its fair that the OP asks this question. If racism wasn't this much of a problem in the UK, the OP probably wouldn't ask this question. And yes, I have found that there tends to be ignorance towards minorities, where there is a lack of diversity.

As long as racism exists, Race will matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
My alma mater, London South Bank University, was brutally diverse...
Original post by Aishadee
Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly

. Which universities would you guys recommend in terms of high diversity?

Derby university where i am from, is quite diverse and welcoming. Plus they set quite low grade requirements for some degrees, to my knowledge. At least it is often possible to get a place through clearing with them. I think this is how i did it?!
Original post by Trinculo
Uh - "diverse" means there's lots of different types of people. Imperial is like everyone's Chinese.

Might have been just a coincidence when I went for my interview there but I saw quite a lot of black students too. But hey they may be a small number!
Original post by Gnat
So you feel you need to be amongst plenty of other racial minorities to fit in? Pathetic. Race shouldn't be relevant.

I can understand a person wanting to go to a uni with diversity in the sense of intellectual and ideological diversity. That's fantastic. The best way of getting that is for each uni to admit applicants with the highest academic potential. That is separate from ethnic diversity.

It is very easy for a British uni to increase its 'ethnic diversity' - simply admit more ethnic minorities. Having 'ethnic diversity' as a criterion for selecting a uni just encourages unis to positively discriminate.

You are being racist here because you care about the ethnic composition of a student body. RACE DOES NOT MATTER. You should feel comfortable with a person because they are kind and good. Compassion transcends all races.

And before people jump down my throat with 'you don't understand how it feels to be the only *insert ethnicity* in an academic setting blah blah', actually, yes I ****ing do. I have been the only person of my ethnicity in my classes in my whole school career. Furthermore, I would be an ethnic minority in almost everywhere in the whole ****in world, if not the whole world, because I'm mixed.

Not every ethnic minority person is insecure and racist like OP. Just sayin.

1. Race shouldn't be relevant but it still is today so you saying that will change nothing. Maybe they want racial diversity so that there is little racism.
2. Ethnic diversity is OPs own personal criterion so I don't understand what you're saying.
3. Being of good character is obviously important. OP will undoubtedly befriend other races. Maybe they just want the option to befriend Africans too.
4. Maybe OP just wants the opportunity to meet people that understand their culture. That doesn't make them racist. No where did OP indicate they only want friends from one race or believe that one race if above the other.

What two races are you if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 137
I'd say Birmingham is quite diverse
My sister went to Durham and had a completely awful time as in most cases she was the only black person in a setting and as much as people want to deny it we just get treated a bit differently.
Birmingham I think as a city has a lot of black people there on the way to the uni there were loads of nigerians on the coach and on the way back.
Been Southampton too and me and my friend were playing spot the dot. We found 2 in total - me and her
Reply 138
Also just go onto youtube and type in the name of the uni then ACS eg Manchester ACS and see how many videos come up
I did the same for Cardiff and nothing appeared so I knew there was no point in even going
Reply 139
This sleepysnooze nonce is really pissing me off
The OP isn't being racist; if they're paying at least £9000 a year they should be in a place where they are going to be comfortable not somewhere where people will have a 'laugh' and write monkey or the n word on your food.
and you're going to settle in a place that appears a lot like home and in their case a place where there are black africans

Latest