The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
Would it not be more wise to withhold your opinion than to comment on and mislead people over something you have not read up upon? There is nothing to reflect upon. Either you are stating a factual interpretation supported by scholars, or you are inventing new interpretations. There is no room for every Tom, Dick and Harry to come along and "reflect" upon Hadith and introduce their own innovative interpretations to fit with their own moral outlook.

I more or less agree with this.
Original post by mil88
I more or less agree with this.

My post was just posting reflections that I neither believe in nor reject; this user only posted the post you appear to agree with because I said the same when he tried to reinterpret Islam completely in order to fit with his own moral outlook e.g. homosexual relationships being halal. You can still agree with it if you wish, though the intention of his post appears to have missed you.
Original post by Anonymous
I was born and raised Muslim. The faith has a lot of good things about it.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

assalamualaikum.

alright im going to start by saying that i as a person who follows the sunnah (sunni) know that women in islam are treated better than men.
i dont know what you were shia, ahmediya or whatever but we as sunnis respect the prophet SAW and the prophet SAW used to respect women.
to start with men also have to cover up(knees, chest, )-whether they comply or not is another matter.
(FYI) men cant wear gold or silk or makeup, earrings, because this is rerserved for the woman.
2. though im not strong in this matter, ima take a shot...
men and women are different. their biology, their feelings and thoughts too. the thongs they worry about, the stuff they like and all this.
for example a study showed that

the latest studies done in states show that:

african americans- for every boy that is born- there are 12 girls born!
for caucasian white people for every boy there are 9 girls that are born
And for worldwide, they say that for every 16 GIRLS, theres just 1 boy that is born!
a ratio of 1:16 (boys: girls)

so if youre telling me that the ratio is 1:16 and youre telling me that every man should have only 1 wife, then you have 15 women and youre giving them only a few options; one option is that they should not have the rights of being a mother, being a loving wife, someone that is loved-being taken care of, or she SHOULD live like that. or youre saying to her: listen, since youve got none of that. public property, one night stand, a man would come come, enjoy himself and walk away....islam says no. these women HAVE an right, a right to be loved...to be a wife...to have childeren...and so on...so having more than one wife is not an obstacle in islam, rather it is a soloution for the reality that we face today.
moreover nowadays we are comin across alota GAYS, so we have more womencomin to the sight.
so what im sayin is we dont have to have 4 wifes, we dont have to have 3 wifes, but rather we should acknowledge and admit, its indeed a great benefeit to the social system, a benefeit for those sisters, a benefeit for families. however there a laws-like being able to afford it and they consent the the previous wife.

men in islam are also encouraged to marry ASAP like the
The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said to us: “O young men, whoever among you can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and guarding one’s chastity. And whoever cannot afford it should fast, for it will be a shield for him.”

as for women in hellfire- i think what you mean is women we be a percentage of those because of their habit of gossiping, backbiting,

A hadith related by Abu Huraira says:
What mostly causes people to be sent to the Fire are the two openings: the mouth and the private parts.5Abu Huraira also related that the Messenger of Allah (s) said:
The servant speaks words, the consequences of which he does not realize, and for which he is sent down into the depths of the Fire further than the distance between the east and the west.6The same hadith was transmitted by at-Tirmidhi with slight variations:
The servant says something that he thinks is harmless, and for which he will be plunged into the depths of the Fire as far as seventy autumns.7Uqba ibn Amir said: "I said: "O Messenger of Allah, what is our best way of surviving?' He, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, replied: "Guard your tongue, make your house suffice for sheltering your privacy, and weep for your wrong actions."8It has been related on the authority of Sahl ibn Sa'd that the Prophet (s) said:
Whoever can guarantee what is between his jaws and what is between his legs I guarantee him the Garden.9It has also been related by Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said,
Let whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day either speak good or remain silent.10Thus talking can either be good, in which case it is commendable, or bad, in which case it is forbidden.The Prophet (s) said:
Everything the children of Adam say goes against them, except for their enjoining good and forbidding evil, and remembering Allah, Glorius and Might is He." This was reported by at-Tirmidhi and Ibn Ma'jah on the authority of Umm Habiba, may Allah be pleased with her.11Umar ibn al-Khattab visited Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with them, and found him pulling his tongue with his fingers. Umar said "Stop! may Allah forgive you!" Abu Bakr replied; "This tongue has brought me to dangerous places."12Abdullah ibn Mas'ud said: "By Allah, besides Whom no god exists, nothing deserves a long prison sentence more than my tongue." He also used to say: "O tongue, say good and you will profit; desist from saying evil things and you will be safe; otherwise you will find only regret."
okay, about pakistani afgani-whatever asian, black brown- its a culture thiing-if its not a norm for muslims all over the world-its a culture thing
its true that it happened- to understand why- watch this video onyoutube
heres the URL- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q126oUJF6vw

thanks
Sex slaves is true. I have done lots of research on this area. If God didn't want us to question things even regarding Islam then why did he give us a brain? Why did he give us the ability to think and analyse? Why did he give us an intellect?

Why didn't he just make people brain dead and believe anything you're told. Theres a reason God gave us the ability think for ourselves and to question things. It's people like you that are easily blinded and close minded. Your brain is a terrible thing to waste. We would all be zombies, there's a reason why God gave us a brain. I don't believe I'm sinning by having doubts or questioning things, it's part of human nature and we'll never really get the answers until after death. Nothing is guaranteed to happen. We don't have the answers.

God did not give us a brain.God didnt give us anything.We evolved big brains over an unfathomably long period of time.This is a fact just like gravitys a fact.Its good that you're questioning religion otherwise you'd be wasting 3.8 billion years of evoloution.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

Inbox me il reply 2 all ur questions and see my post Proof the Quran is from God challenge 2 every1
If you want to doubt your faith even more, read "The God Delusion".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zamestaneh
My post was just posting reflections that I neither believe in nor reject; this user only posted the post you appear to agree with because I said the same when he tried to reinterpret Islam completely in order to fit with his own moral outlook e.g. homosexual relationships being halal. You can still agree with it if you wish, though the intention of his post appears to have missed you.

Peace be upon you.

I agree with the fact that one shouldn't bring up "possible" interpretations that are a result of ignorance, as this could misguide others (for they could be incorrect). Rather, interpretations that are well founded are superior in contrast.

This is what I agreed with.
Reply 267
Original post by muzi123
Inbox me il reply 2 all ur questions and see my post Proof the Quran is from God challenge 2 every1

The fact that you don't even feel adequate enough to post your reasoning here for everyone to see and criticise speaks volumes.

The way you type also suggests you're young. It's sad to think that a young person like yourself has already been brainwashed to the point of wasting their entire life believing in total fiction. *
Original post by FCB
The fact that you don't even feel adequate enough to post your reasoning here for everyone to see and criticise speaks volumes.

The way you type also suggests you're young. It's sad to think that a young person like yourself has already been brainwashed to the point of wasting their entire life believing in total fiction. *

He did post it. His thread got a lot of traffic and got removed by mods. The best rebuttal people had was that the mathematics of his argument was only applicable to the concept of mathematics the Indians first created. Though i don't think he came up with it, it's likely he copied it from somewhere, it was a very long explanation and I couldn't manage to read it all. It was an interesting thread though I must admit
(edited 7 years ago)
anotheronelol.jpg
Original post by hellodave5
Organised religion is simply mind control. Outside of organised religion, it is always reasonable to follow what makes you feel happy, as long as is no harm to others. Islam is just a belief structure (with significant variation within it), like the others. But you know... you can make your own mind up...

Yeah. I think my favourite quote about organised religion-can't remember who said it or the exact words-is ,

"Organised religion is rather akin to charging people money to watch a sunset"

To which I would (humbly) add,

And then telling them what they can or can't put in their sandwiches
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you want to doubt your faith even more, read "The God Delusion".

Dawkins is a nub - "who created God?" - what kind of stupid question is that? I ought to give the full book a read some time, but when I read that specific part of the book, it dawned on me that he is an idiot.

My personal opinion is, if you are a religious person, just to adopt the overall, general message. Be good to each other, help each other when possible and do not harm others. As long as you are fair and good to others... what do you have to fear? if God (no matter what religion) punishes you for not following every single detail... what kind of unjust, shallow God is that? this is coming from a raised Catholic who is now an agnostic.
Reply 273

Okay, I can understand you a little. Listen to some some Dhikr and remember the 99 names of Allah. :h:

The underage marriage thing is because of teenage hormones and the man and woman understanding each other.

Question teenager pregnancy why does it happen in western culture. You'll get your answer. :colondollar:

Your a smart person in my opinion for questioning your religion as without questioning your religion you would be lost. :h:

You need to study more about Islam and the value of woman.:colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Dawkins is a nub - "who created God?" - what kind of stupid question is that? I ought to give the full book a read some time, but when I read that specific part of the book, it dawned on me that he is an idiot.

Whilst it may not be phrased in the best way, it is a perfectly legitimate question that many religious people are unwilling to confront. Why is it unacceptable for the universe to be an uncaused cause, but for it is perfectly acceptable to propose God as an uncaused cause?

To ask "who created God" is to ask why God must by necessity be an uncaused cause and how can one prove that? Why is it absurd to assume that God has a creator who is an uncaused cause? There have been religions which have held this stance that there was a supreme God who created other Gods, so this idea isn't so absurd as you might think.

The reason why Dawkins often raises the question he does and in that particular way is because many religious people often propose that the complexity of the universe means it requires a creator. But this is poor reasoning as any complex creation would need an equally complex, if not more complex creator. And this complexity would need to be explained by an even more complex creator. This just results in an infinite regression. So it is only highlighting the faulty reasoning behind the argument of complexity, which necessitates a greater being to explain the complexity.
LOL there are so many reasons for those things like have you not read about Islam properly doesn't sound like you have and in the end of the day if you doubt Islam so much you can leave lol the door is open take a hike

There are no good reasons.
Original post by mercuryman
He did post it. His thread got a lot of traffic and got removed by mods. The best rebuttal people had was that the mathematics of his argument was only applicable to the concept of mathematics the Indians first created. Though i don't think he came up with it, it's likely he copied it from somewhere, it was a very long explanation and I couldn't manage to read it all. It was an interesting thread though I must admit

"The best rebuttal" implies his arguments were actually good when they were nothing of the sort. They were totally arbitrary mathematics that can be extracted from virtually any text. Just type "numerical miracles of Moby Dick" into Google and see for yourself. It's just people seeing what they want to see and manipulating random sets of numbers to fit reality.
Why is it a stupid question?

Oxford English Dictionary:

Idiot (Savant): 1. A person who has learning or mental difficulties but is extremely gifted in certain ways. 1.1 A person who is unworldly but displays natural wisdom and insight.
"it is not saying that women are like donkeys and dogs, rather it is saying that the 3 have the common attribute of being a distraction during prayer" is the funniest thing I've read all day. :rofl::rofl::rofl: That's exactly what I always think when I see a donkey. "My goodness, I bet that animal is a major distraction to people who are trying to pray!" I mean, who doesn't? Honestly, the rubbish some people come out with in defence in their ideology. 'Donkeys are a distraction during prayer' is even better than 'slaughtering one animal when a girl is born and two when a boy is born proves how much Islam honours females'.
Reply 279
Original post by ismail17
alright im going to start by saying that i as a person who follows the sunnah (sunni) know that women in islam are treated better than men.
You've obviously not read the Quran or relevant hadith.
The simple fact that husbands are allowed to beat disobedient wives (under certain coditions) alone is sufficient evidence that you are wrong.

the latest studies done in states show that:

african americans- for every boy that is born- there are 12 girls born!
for caucasian white people for every boy there are 9 girls that are born
And for worldwide, they say that for every 16 GIRLS, theres just 1 boy that is born!
a ratio of 1:16 (boys: girls)
WTF???
Are you high?
The proportion of males and females is around 50/50.
Either you are massively ill informed, or you are a massive troll. That last point was so WTF that it must be the latter.