The Student Room Group

Controlling mood swings

I need help controlling my moods as I often have moodswings where I become really upset really quickly and a lot of the time hair want to cry or something, sometimes it's for no reason and sometimes it's because someone says something that makes me mad or upset and I don't know how to stop it, it's causing a lot of problems as it makes my boyfriend a bit frustrated and also myself because I try so hard to not let things bother me but I struggle to. Does anyone have any tips on how I can help this before I mess up absolutely everything because of it? I've run out of ways to try and calm myself down and Im worried that if it carries on this bad, my boyfriend will get really really annoyed and I really just need someone to make it feel better, which is what he does. Any tips are really appreciated, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Look, don't worry loads of people have mood swings, I find if I take carming drops it not only keeps me carm but my moods more stable, don't really use it much, only really around period time and really helps.
Reply 2
Seek help from your local GP with regards to counselling as such, it sounds like a mental health issue if it's completely out of your control and getting worse.

It is not fair to let your boyfriend suffer the consequences, but I am sure he is there to support you.

==
why the hell is tsr not letting me post properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Definitely talk to your GP. Hopefully you can get a referral to a counselor or psychiatrist. What you are experiencing is most likely biological. There are medications that will definitely help mood swings and help your overall feeling of well-being. It is nothing to feel stigmatized about...no more than getting glasses really. It is a tool to help you to be and achieve your best! Good Luck!
Hey, hope that you are okay. I think that your situation is very familiar to many people,but some just don't show it. So you have said that you get upset because of other people influencing your mood and sometimes for no reason? One way I deal with people influencing my mood is I reassure myself that individuals act the way they do towards me is because something is bothering THEM, thus they want to get rid of their negative energy by interacting with me. That's how the whole chain reaction starts! So sometimes you have to convince yourself that it is their problem and really try to restrict your brain from rehearsing those negative thoughts by blocking them with the positive thoughts, memories or ideas. A Biological level can also have an impact on your mood swings, lack of serotonin etc so yeah a visit to your GP wouldn't hurt if you are feeling like you really can't take it. Also I would encourage more social interaction, maybe going out with your friends and doing something active, so you could take your mind off things. Hope this helps!
Original post by cats_and_music
Hey, hope that you are okay. I think that your situation is very familiar to many people,but some just don't show it. So you have said that you get upset because of other people influencing your mood and sometimes for no reason? One way I deal with people influencing my mood is I reassure myself that individuals act the way they do towards me is because something is bothering THEM, thus they want to get rid of their negative energy by interacting with me. That's how the whole chain reaction starts! So sometimes you have to convince yourself that it is their problem and really try to restrict your brain from rehearsing those negative thoughts by blocking them with the positive thoughts, memories or ideas. A Biological level can also have an impact on your mood swings, lack of serotonin etc so yeah a visit to your GP wouldn't hurt if you are feeling like you really can't take it. Also I would encourage more social interaction, maybe going out with your friends and doing something active, so you could take your mind off things. Hope this helps!

Thank you! That's been really helpful, today hasn't been so bad, I'm slowly sorting it out I think! I'm nervous to go to the GP though as I feel like they will link it to the pill I take and then change my medication which would be a nightmare and also confidentiality, I wouldn't want my parents finding out I went to tej doctors about it as they may be mad at me, I'll have a think- thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alyssamarie00
Thank you! That's been really helpful, today hasn't been so bad, I'm slowly sorting it out I think! I'm nervous to go to the GP though as I feel like they will link it to the pill I take and then change my medication which would be a nightmare and also confidentiality, I wouldn't want my parents finding out I went to tej doctors about it as they may be mad at me, I'll have a think- thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome! And yeah GP should be your last resort because I'm confident that you can cure your mood swings yourself! :smile:
Original post by cats_and_music
You are welcome! And yeah GP should be your last resort because I'm confident that you can cure your mood swings yourself! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'll keep you updated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alyssamarie00
Thank you :smile: I'll keep you updated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah yeah definitely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending