The Student Room Group

Sociology A Level - what's it like?

Hi all, I'm considering taking sociology at a level in conjunction with (definite) history, philosophy&ethics and government and politics. The exam board I hope to be taking would be AQA, the problem is I don't really know too much about sociology. I like what I've heard so far and so would love to know a bit more :smile: . I love essay subjects and am hoping to study law at university. Thanks :smile: .
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katie4610
Hi all, I'm considering taking sociology at a level in conjunction with (definite) history, philosophy&ethics and government and politics. The exam board I hope to be taking would be AQA, the problem is I don't really know too much about sociology. I like what I've heard so far and so would love to know a bit more :smile: . I love essay subjects and am hoping to study law at university. Thanks :smile: .

Hi! I've just finished A2 Sociology and am hoping to go on to study it at uni :smile:

By the sounds of it, you're not intimidated by the emphasis on extended writing and the extensive independent reading required by essay subjects, which is great if you want to study Sociology at A-level!

I don't know how much you know about the subject, but I'll just go for it and try to tell you as much as I can as best as I can. So, Sociology is basically the study of society; how we shape it and how it shapes us. There are obvious ties with other subjects like History, Gov & Pol, Philosophy, even subjects like Psychology and English Literature.

Depending on what exact topics your college/Sixth Form offers you could study anything from Families and Households to Crime and Deviance over the course of the two-year course (but of course this completely depends on where you study).

If you have a questioning mind and are genuinely interested in how society functions and why it functions the way it does, Sociology is a great choice.

Sorry, I'm unsure what else to say really - but I honestly cannot recommend the subject enough, especially from what you've written in your post.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't really enjoy sociology I found it rather dull but that might of just been me as many of my class mates wouldn't say the same. However I cannot say only negative things about it. Sociology has been useful in my everyday life which I can't really say the same for my other subjects. It opened my eyes to many relevant things in society today, and I have even found myself researching some topics outside of lesson.
Reply 3

I've just finished my AS in the newly reformed sociology (AQA). The topics we did were families and households + education (these are the most common two however you could do poverty ect).

Education was basically broken down into Gender differences in achievement, Race and then Class (e.g middle class/ working class).

Families and Households was broken down into around 8 mini topics which i'd need my booklet to recite them (off the top of my head i remember childhood, family diversity ect)

For both topics we had to apply the theory of some (perspectives) Marxists, Functionalists, Feminists and then the newly introduced Personal Life Perspective. So its the standard theory e.g Girls achieve higher then boys because...*state theory* this is argued by *state theorist* and if needed what perspective they come from.

I myself find it quite boring and very old fashioned as there's that much individuality and support for the working class and improvement within schools that theorists who are marxist (they believe in capitalism and exploiting the working class) don't really apply because of benefits ect they don't need to be exploited as they are now supported without work.
Reply 4
Original post by anotherparadox
Hi! I've just finished A2 Sociology and am hoping to go on to study it at uni :smile:

By the sounds of it, you're not intimidated by the emphasis on extended writing and the extensive independent reading required by essay subjects, which is great if you want to study Sociology at A-level!

I don't know how much you know about the subject, but I'll just go for it and try to tell you as much as I can as best as I can. So, Sociology is basically the study of society; how we shape it and how it shapes us. There are obvious ties with other subjects like History, Gov & Pol, Philosophy, even subjects like Psychology and English Literature.

Depending on what exact topics your college/Sixth Form offers you could study anything from Families and Households to Crime and Deviance over the course of the two-year course (but of course this completely depends on where you study).

If you have a questioning mind and are genuinely interested in how society functions and why it functions the way it does, Sociology is a great choice.

Sorry, I'm unsure what else to say really - but I honestly cannot recommend the subject enough, especially from what you've written in your post.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate! :smile:

From what I can see you really enjoy it and it sounds really good. I'm looking forward to studying all about how social class can effect educational achievement and those sorts of things. Thank you, I feel like I will take it! Best of luck at university and on results day :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I didn't really enjoy sociology I found it rather dull but that might of just been me as many of my class mates wouldn't say the same. However I cannot say only negative things about it. Sociology has been useful in my everyday life which I can't really say the same for my other subjects. It opened my eyes to many relevant things in society today, and I have even found myself researching some topics outside of lesson.

Thank you for the reply it's always good to see alternative views. Looks like it relates to everyday life :smile:. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.
Reply 6
Original post by Rigby16
I've just finished my AS in the newly reformed sociology (AQA). The topics we did were families and households + education (these are the most common two however you could do poverty ect).

Education was basically broken down into Gender differences in achievement, Race and then Class (e.g middle class/ working class).

Families and Households was broken down into around 8 mini topics which i'd need my booklet to recite them (off the top of my head i remember childhood, family diversity ect)

For both topics we had to apply the theory of some (perspectives) Marxists, Functionalists, Feminists and then the newly introduced Personal Life Perspective. So its the standard theory e.g Girls achieve higher then boys because...*state theory* this is argued by *state theorist* and if needed what perspective they come from.

I myself find it quite boring and very old fashioned as there's that much individuality and support for the working class and improvement within schools that theorists who are marxist (they believe in capitalism and exploiting the working class) don't really apply because of benefits ect they don't need to be exploited as they are now supported without work.

Thank you for giving me a perspective of the aqa modules, they seem great :smile:. It sounds like the structure of the essays is very much like philosophy&ethics at gcse from what I can see, classic PEE. Thank you! :smile:
From what I can see you really enjoy it and it sounds really good. I'm looking forward to studying all about how social class can effect educational achievement and those sorts of things. Thank you, I feel like I will take it! Best of luck at university and on results day :smile:

No problem, I'm happy to help :biggrin:

Thank you, and I'm assuming you've just completed your GCSEs, so good luck with your results and with your A-levels!
I've just finished A2 sociology and I enjoyed learning the content as it is quite interesting and different from other subjects and my teachers were great but when it came to revision I felt like there was too much to remember and barely any of it came up. That said, as long as you keep on top of it I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Also some parts are boring/harder to grasp but it's not too bad, especially if you enjoy essay subjects.
I also did edexcel government and politics and philosophy and ethics (although I dropped that at AS) if you have any questions about that :smile:
First year easy, second year HARD
Reply 10
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I've just finished A2 sociology and I enjoyed learning the content as it is quite interesting and different from other subjects and my teachers were great but when it came to revision I felt like there was too much to remember and barely any of it came up. That said, as long as you keep on top of it I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Also some parts are boring/harder to grasp but it's not too bad, especially if you enjoy essay subjects.
I also did edexcel government and politics and philosophy and ethics (although I dropped that at AS) if you have any questions about that :smile:

Hi, I feel like I've been told loads about sociology so thanks for the reply. Can I ask how you found gov&pols & philosophy&ethics? If you took philosophy&ethics at GCSE is there a big difference? Any advice would be great :smile: thanks.
Hi, I feel like I've been told loads about sociology so thanks for the reply. Can I ask how you found gov&pols & philosophy&ethics? If you took philosophy&ethics at GCSE is there a big difference? Any advice would be great :smile: thanks.

Government and politics wasn't too bad (I wasn't fond of my class but I didn't find lessons too difficult), I found A2 more interesting because it was American politics so it was something different to UK politics. The main advice I'd give for it is to keep up with current affairs (which I guess isn't too hard since a lot is going on at the moment) as modern examples get you good marks in the exams.

I took Religious studies at GCSE and thought Philosophy and ethics would be similar... but I was heavily mistaken. Philosophy does require quite a bit of your time and, if your teachers are anything like mine were, they'll demand essays off you every week. The advice I'd give is to constantly practice essay writing as you need to write very quickly and concisely - but you will be taught these skills :smile:
I dropped it just because I didn't like the teachers and I was better at politics but it really is interesting, it's just the essay writing that's a pain
Reply 12
PHD2027 like u u mean.
Can someone please give me essay writing tips e.g. Structure for sociology AQA course , it would mean the world to me if someone could help me out. Thank you . I love the course so far, 2 months in but essay writing and critical thinking for answering question is becoming a big struggle for me. I'm planning on taking sociology or mabye psychology in uni so I know I need to fight a big barrier that has always rescruted me, getting top marks ( essay writing skills/exam techniques )
Thank you so much in advance and I hope all of your studies are going well!
or you are just that bad socializing
It’s not overly difficult. But I will say, I find it strange that people in my class say it’s easy when they get Ds and stronger grades in their other subjects. The level of content, the sheer volume is honestly insane. There is so much to memorise and you do have to memorise it. The theories aren’t hard to understand though but the essay structure is also quite important to grasp.
I loved the subject.
I found it very interesting.
Original post by Emma:-)
I loved the subject.
I found it very interesting.

I do agree. I think the thing I’m not so crazy about is that it tends to get quite repetitive because there are really only 4 (plus research methods) areas we explore IN HUGE DETAIL.
Original post by anonymous1231231
I do agree. I think the thing I’m not so crazy about is that it tends to get quite repetitive because there are really only 4 (plus research methods) areas we explore IN HUGE DETAIL.

While a few bits may seem slightly repetitive, i also found that it was my easiest subject and got my highest grade in it.
Original post by Emma:-)
While a few bits may seem slightly repetitive, i also found that it was my easiest subject and got my highest grade in it.

Asking this while revising it lol, how did you manage to memorise everything?

Quick Reply

Latest