The Student Room Group

I am thinking about buying a car AMA

I can't drive but my wife is learning. I am hoping to spend around one thousand pounds on one AMA
Reply 1
Original post by john2054
I can't drive but my wife is learning. I am hoping to spend around one thousand pounds on one AMA

A thousand quid? Yikes, that'll be falling apart

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

like his ama
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
like his ama

Spoiler

I didn't want to go that far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be honest depending on where you look and what you know or take someone who does, you can get a runner for that and have it mot'd for the year too. but usually there 3-4k from official sellers with/without mot.

its like £20 to have history check and up to a £100 per independent mechanic check. mots on group-on are lowest i've seen at £9

bare in mind also cars values diminish greatly per year so there often never worth what you initially paid for it if you bought it brand new/second hand *without using finance.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sketchymofo2
to be honest depending on where you look and what you know or take someone who does, you can get a runner for that and have it mot'd for the year too. but usually there 3-4k from official sellers with/without mot.

its like £20 to have history check and up to a £100 per independent mechanic check. mots on group-on are lowest i've seen at £9

bare in mind also cars values diminish greatly per year so there often never worth what you initially paid for it if you bought it brand new/second hand *without using finance.*

It's either that, or putting it towards a mortgage on a house?

you can get a Volvo for that
don't been in one that cost £500 lasted to months and the heated seats were all that worked
you can get a ford for that
don't you'll spend the same in parts for a year as it cost you 2006 focus

buy a lexus I'll last a while as it Japanese made
for a grade you'll get a late 90's one with leather seats and maybe a wooden trim
Reply 7
Original post by jamesthehustler
you can get a Volvo for that
don't been in one that cost £500 lasted to months and the heated seats were all that worked
you can get a ford for that
don't you'll spend the same in parts for a year as it cost you 2006 focus

buy a lexus I'll last a while as it Japanese made
for a grade you'll get a late 90's one with leather seats and maybe a wooden trim

One of my friends recommended what looks like a nice Audi for 1k. I am thinking about saving up for a deposit for a house, on the other hand>?
One of my friends recommended what looks like a nice Audi for 1k. I am thinking about saving up for a deposit for a house, on the other hand>?

should be ok but it will be lets set pre-millennium and rather high in repair bills (my uncle sold his Audi as the Maserati was cheaper to maintain)
Reply 9
Original post by sketchymofo2

I'd go for at least 3-4k because those are more likely to last you a while

Posted from TSR Mobile
which cars are you thinking of? :auto:
Reply 11
If you don't absolutely need a car then don't get one. For one thousand pounds to be your limit now means it's not worth it. If you want a car that you can thrash for a couple of months until it dies (just for fun) then that's an alright price but for a car that will be a daily driver you need to be looking at 3-4 thousand as a previous poster said. A small hatch back of sorts, I would go Japanese (Lexus sedans are truly robust as another poster said) as well.
Reply 12
Original post by 130398
If you don't absolutely need a car then don't get one. For one thousand pounds to be your limit now means it's not worth it. If you want a car that you can thrash for a couple of months until it dies (just for fun) then that's an alright price but for a car that will be a daily driver you need to be looking at 3-4 thousand as a previous poster said. A small hatch back of sorts, I would go Japanese (Lexus sedans are truly robust as another poster said) as well.

I'd go European, or Ford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I paid £600 for my first car which was 2000 Honda Civic and I had it for 2 years. In these 2 years I only had to replace the brake pads and discs and service it, other than that the car has served me well.

Quick Reply

Latest