The Student Room Group

Parking forwards into a bay?

Hi there, I appreciate this can sound really stupid to some people but it's something I cannot master and now have an absolute fear of going out in my car as I cannot park forwards into a bay to save my life.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to actually get between the lines without hitting the cars either side? People just seem to do it without thinking but I always end up either wonky, or too close to other cars next to me.

Are there any reference points which would be of use?
Original post by Juuuuh
Hi there, I appreciate this can sound really stupid to some people but it's something I cannot master and now have an absolute fear of going out in my car as I cannot park forwards into a bay to save my life.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to actually get between the lines without hitting the cars either side? People just seem to do it without thinking but I always end up either wonky, or too close to other cars next to me.

Are there any reference points which would be of use?

You might find it's worth going to an emptyish car park, and practicing there where you have loads of space. When I would practice this, I used to find spaces which had one lined up and opposite, so that I could also use those lines to help me when I'm reversing. To be honest, I never go forward into a space and stop. I'm always wonky... If there's space, it's always worth swinging wide to the left, before turning right into the space (and vice versa) so that you have more space to straighten on the way in. I then reverse up a bit, (using the lines on the space behind if it's in line), and then go forward again! Main thing is to just practice practice practice because then it'll become a lot more natural! And to be honest, don't worry about doing it first time, that will most likely come as you get more and more experience!
Why go in forwards?

Yes it is good to master the technique but reverse in

Reversing in is easy with practice but is also far better when leaving.
Otherwise you can't see what is coming
Reply 3
When I first learnt to drive, I didn't learn bay parking (as in the reverse manoeuvre). So when I got my own car, I taught myself! Now, many years on, I always reverse park when possible.

Ideally, you should know both. But if you can get in a space it doesn't really matter.

What helped me was to stop thinking about it as parking. If you're going forwards and need to turn before a tree/wall/elephant you'd be able to do it. You just need to stop worrying.
Original post by mobbsy91
You might find it's worth going to an emptyish car park, and practicing there where you have loads of space. When I would practice this, I used to find spaces which had one lined up and opposite, so that I could also use those lines to help me when I'm reversing. To be honest, I never go forward into a space and stop. I'm always wonky... If there's space, it's always worth swinging wide to the left, before turning right into the space (and vice versa) so that you have more space to straighten on the way in. I then reverse up a bit, (using the lines on the space behind if it's in line), and then go forward again! Main thing is to just practice practice practice because then it'll become a lot more natural! And to be honest, don't worry about doing it first time, that will most likely come as you get more and more experience!

I agree
Reply 5
Another advocate for reverse parking here. *There's really no need to go in forwards unless you need to put something heavy and/or awkward in the boot. *It's much easier to reverse in than drive in, and leaving is both easier and safer too. *
Original post by domonict
Why go in forwards?

Yes it is good to master the technique but reverse in

Reversing in is easy with practice but is also far better when leaving.
Otherwise you can't see what is coming

Main reason to be able to do a bay park forwards is so if you go shopping, you can get to the boot easily.
Original post by XMaramena
Main reason to be able to do a bay park forwards is so if you go shopping, you can get to the boot easily.

That's all very well but it is a balance between

Nose first- boot access- hard to leave
Or
Reverse park - harder access- easy to leave
Original post by domonict
That's all very well but it is a balance between

Nose first- boot access- hard to leave
Or
Reverse park - harder access- easy to leave

To be honest I don't find it easier or harder either way. I think it's just a matter of learning to drive properly.

Quick Reply

Latest