The Student Room Group

University Choice. Can I go to my insurance choice?

Hey guys,

As results day is nearly upon us, my mind is racing with the thought of maybe going to university. My question is, is it still possible to go to my insurance choice even though I have given my firm choice? Ive changed my mind and I really want to go to my insurance university rather than the one I have put down for first choice!!

Please help D:
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
Hey guys,

As results day is nearly upon us, my mind is racing with the thought of maybe going to university. My question is, is it still possible to go to my insurance choice even though I have given my firm choice? Ive changed my mind and I really want to go to my insurance university rather than the one I have put down for first choice!!

Please help D:

You'd have to phone up your firm and get released into Clearing (assuming you get in) then apply for your original insurance choice through Clearing. Maybe try phoning your insurance first though to check they definitely have spaces :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
If you make the grades for firm ask them to release you to insurance.

If a student makes the grades for their firm then their firm can only release them into Clearing.

To pass a student on to their insurance requires a rejection and UCAS don't allow that in cases where an applicant has met their offer conditions.

Hey guys,

Please help D:

It is too late to do this and have it show on Track before results day (UCAS have locked down the ability of universities to be swapped now - if you'd tried last week you would have been able to do this with minimal hassle)

Talk to your insurance and check that they'd be happy to take you as firm choice. If they're happy speak to your firm and explain the situation.

Ideally you'll need to get your firm and insurance choices to speak to each other to ensure this happens.

Neither university can actually do anything until results day now so there are 2 ways it could be managed on results day if both universities cooperate.

If you meet your firm offer your firm has to accept you and then place you into Clearing - you'll then be able to add your insurance as a Clearing choice and they'll accept you through that route ASAP.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm can reject you and you'll be passed to your insurance choice.

DON'T wait until results day - by that point your insurance may have been notified that you're going to your firm and have run out of places.

When you call universities ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.Avoid the terms "release", "reject" and "withdraw" - they all have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and using the wrong one risks getting an unhelpful response at best or the wrong result at worst.

Just explain what you want to happen: "I want my insurance course to be my firm choice" and let your universities worry about the details of how it happens.If they give you instructions or make promises ask if they can send those instructions/promises by email so you have them in writing.
That isn't the case - it is a commitment but that means you can't get out of it without the agreement of all parties. See https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes

For people reading this in future years - if you contact your firm and insurance before mid-end July to ask about this then you can get them swapped over on Track with almost no hassle at all.

If you wait until August to start this everything becomes a lot more hassle.

If you wait until results day then you're wasting time on the phone to your firm/insurance universities that you could be better spending on other things (including clearing choices if that's what you wanted)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
If a student makes the grades for their firm then their firm can only release them into Clearing.

To pass a student on to their insurance requires a rejection and UCAS don't allow that in cases where an applicant has met their offer conditions.

It is too late to do this and have it show on Track before results day (UCAS have locked down the ability of universities to be swapped now - if you'd tried last week you would have been able to do this with minimal hassle)

Talk to your insurance and check that they'd be happy to take you as firm choice. If they're happy speak to your firm and explain the situation.

Ideally you'll need to get your firm and insurance choices to speak to each other to ensure this happens.

Neither university can actually do anything until results day now so there are 2 ways it could be managed on results day if both universities cooperate.

If you meet your firm offer your firm has to accept you and then place you into Clearing - you'll then be able to add your insurance as a Clearing choice and they'll accept you through that route ASAP.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm can reject you and you'll be passed to your insurance choice.

DON'T wait until results day - by that point your insurance may have been notified that you're going to your firm and have run out of places.

When you call universities ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.Avoid the terms "release", "reject" and "withdraw" - they all have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and using the wrong one risks getting an unhelpful response at best or the wrong result at worst.

Just explain what you want to happen: "I want my insurance course to be my firm choice" and let your universities worry about the details of how it happens.If they give you instructions or make promises ask if they can send those instructions/promises by email so you have them in writing.

PRSOM
Yet another of your posts that I've stashed away for future use in my bookmarks folder, because it is pretty inevitable that I'm going to need it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
PRSOM
Yet another of your posts that I've stashed away for future use in my bookmarks folder, because it is pretty inevitable that I'm going to need it.

I think we're officially in the TWO WEEKS PANIC period. 3 threads at least along this line in the last 24 hours.
Original post by PQ
I think we're officially in the TWO WEEKS PANIC period. 3 threads at least along this line in the last 24 hours.

Most definitely. And no doubt many more to come.
Hey guys,

Please help D:

What uni did you firm and what uni did you insure? What made you change your mind?
Reply 8
Hello from me as well,

My question is the following: I did not get the grades for my firm choice, but I have for my insurance choice; I am okay with the fact that I will possibly be going to my insurance choice, and i know there are no deadlines, however I want to apply for an accommodation for my insurance choice. This cannot happen, unless my firm choice contacts me, but they havent. The deadline for applying to accommodation at my insurance choice was the 31st of July and it is for firm choices only. Even if I apply later in august, do you think there is still chance that I will get one?
Thank you.
P.S If you can give me advice on anything related to my topic, it will be very helpful, because I dont want to miss an opportunity to do something I have not known about. :smile:
Original post by melin
Hello from me as well,

My question is the following: I did not get the grades for my firm choice, but I have for my insurance choice; I am okay with the fact that I will possibly be going to my insurance choice, and i know there are no deadlines, however I want to apply for an accommodation for my insurance choice. This cannot happen, unless my firm choice contacts me, but they havent. The deadline for applying to accommodation at my insurance choice was the 31st of July and it is for firm choices only. Even if I apply later in august, do you think there is still chance that I will get one?
Thank you.
P.S If you can give me advice on anything related to my topic, it will be very helpful, because I dont want to miss an opportunity to do something I have not known about. :smile:

Your insurance won't have put a deadline for an application before results day for 99% of the people going there to know if they got in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending