The Student Room Group

Any tips on how to get into a great university?

(Posting From My Mothers Account)
I live in London and would like some tips for the good universities in and around London such as Cambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tiagilbert17
I am only starting year 11 in September however, I am aiming to get into Cambridge and am wondering if there are any extracurricular activities and things that would be helpful? Thanks

Work hard and meet the entry requirements for the course you want to do. Then research the admissions tests for the course you want to do and practice them. Then finally the only extra-curriculars you should be doing should be the ones relevant to what you want to study. Cambridge don't take into account extra currics unless relevant to the course you want to study
Thank you, do you feel there is anything I could do for Mathematics?
Original post by tiagilbert17
Thank you, do you feel there is anything I could do for Mathematics?

I'm not the best person to ask I'm afraid, try asking some of the users over in one of the STEP Mathematics threads. If I'm not mistaken STEP is one of the admission tests of Cambridge for maths, they might know someone who studied maths at Cambridge. Sorry I couldn't help you any further :frown:
Thank you:smile:
Friend of mine has an offer for Maths at Cambridge. His main extra curricular were sports and some music. Nothing major like grade 8 etc, just enjoying playing. He is fantastic at maths (obviously haha). Just work very very hard, he had an excellent balance of work and relax. He did plenty of extra self learning as well in his spare time (FP2 FP3, M3 M4 etc during AS and summer as he only did AS maths and AS FM before applying). Good luck!
Original post by longsightdon
Friend of mine has an offer for Maths at Cambridge. His main extra curricular were sports and some music. Nothing major like grade 8 etc, just enjoying playing. He is fantastic at maths (obviously haha). Just work very very hard, he had an excellent balance of work and relax. He did plenty of extra self learning as well in his spare time (FP2 FP3, M3 M4 etc during AS and summer as he only did AS maths and AS FM before applying). Good luck!

Do you know what he included in his personal statement? Because you can't really get work experience for maths aha so I'm not sure what you're actually meant to write in a personal statement for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Pray you get a nice interviewer, a family friend is a fellow at one of the colleges and is in charge of interviewing new applicants for one of the BSc courses, he takes sublime pleasure in being extra cruel during the interview :rolleyes:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Do you know what he included in his personal statement? Because you can't really get work experience for maths aha so I'm not sure what you're actually meant to write in a personal statement for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talked about his interest. Few books he read. Honestly the personal statement isn't too major. If you have the grades to back you up and good references, you'll get an interview! His results were something like 99% AS average.
Reply 9
Extracurriculars that are not related to your career do not matter. Winning Gold in UKMT >>>>> Student Council
Talked about his interest. Few books he read. Honestly the personal statement isn't too major. If you have the grades to back you up and good references, you'll get an interview! His results were something like 99% AS average.

Oh wow! I'm aiming for at least 98%! I want a really good personal statement mainly because it is a holistic process when offering students places, therefore I would like my grades as well as my personal statement to be smashing ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good grades are the most important thing, followed by showing enthusiasm for the subject you want to study in your personal statement and at interviews (if applicable). I did absolutely nothing extra curricular and got offers from all 5 of the universities I applied to (all Russell Group). However that was for physics, and I did demonstrate on my personal statement that I was very interested in the subject.

I think schools put way too much emphasis on extra-curricular stuff, when it's really not necessary. The only exception to this is if it's relevant to what you want to study - e.g. if you want to be a teacher, having experience helping out in a school is almost essential.
Reply 12

Sport and music ECs are not relevant to him getting an offer.

His passion for Maths is relevant, but his academic achievements would be a more important factor.
Original post by jneill
Sport and music ECs are not relevant to him getting an offer.

His passion for Maths is relevant, but his academic achievements would be a more important factor.

Ah I phrased badly. Wasn't meant to suggest EC contributed to his offer.
Reply 14
Ah I phrased badly. Wasn't meant to suggest EC contributed to his offer.

For people already in the know, it should be clear what you meant. But it's very easy for people new to the Oxbridge process to get the wrong end of the stick! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending