The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

the pressure of uni

I wanted to go to university to do event management which im not even sure about i picked the subject because im 20 and sill don't know what i want to do and i have a job which is not going to get me anywhere, i enjoy it but i don't see myself there in 5 years time, Coventry is about 5 hours from where i live (by car) and my boyfriend of 6 years wants to come with me as we don't want to put a strain on the relationship.
we are finding it really hard to get a place of our own because he is not going to be a student, he is even trying to become a student in something he hasn't researched enough just to be with me, we both don't like partying and i don't think i will enjoy the uni life but i don't know what else to do with my life i feel like if i don't get away now i never will get away.
there is nothing really to do where i live there is no great jobs to go for and everyone is moving away that i know, what should i do i cant find any apprenticeships i think i will enjoy.
i really don't know what to do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Change can be scary and it's easy to panic and do what you think you should be doing or what people expect you to do for the sake of moving forward. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're sure about doing event management or that you'll be happy at uni at this point for a number of reasons. I wouldn't got to uni this year if I were you. Spend some time getting work experience to work out what you enjoy and are good at. Then think about what you want to do and what you need to get there.

Re: your boyfriend, do you currently live together and what does he do now? Has he worked out what he'd like to do with his life? Just being together isn't going to keep you both happy. Everyone needs something else going on in their lives apart from their other half and your boyfriend not being happy studying something random or working in a random job is definitely going to put a strain on your relationship. Once you've both worked out what you want to do and how to get there look for courses/jobs together. It'll still be hard and compromises may need to be made but at least you'll be making informed decisions rather than panicked ill thought out ones.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Can you not enrol at a local uni instead?
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Hi,

Change can be scary and it's easy to panic and do what you think you should be doing or what people expect you to do for the sake of moving forward. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're sure about doing event management or that you'll be happy at uni at this point for a number of reasons. I wouldn't got to uni this year if I were you. Spend some time getting work experience to work out what you enjoy and are good at. Then think about what you want to do and what you need to get there.

Re: your boyfriend, do you currently live together and what does he do now? Has he worked out what he'd like to do with his life? Just being together isn't going to keep you both happy. Everyone needs something else going on in their lives apart from their other half and your boyfriend not being happy studying something random or working in a random job is definitely going to put a strain on your relationship. Once you've both worked out what you want to do and how to get there look for courses/jobs together. It'll still be hard and compromises may need to be made but at least you'll be making informed decisions rather than panicked ill thought out ones.

yes we live together we have been for about 2 years and he does maintenance and tours, he enjoys where he works because of the people but not the job its self, i don't know what work experience i am mean't to be doing as i really don't know what i want to do, i took a gap year last year to travel and it still didn't help my decision in the slightest
Original post by lllllauren
yes we live together we have been for about 2 years and he does maintenance and tours, he enjoys where he works because of the people but not the job its self, i don't know what work experience i am mean't to be doing as i really don't know what i want to do, i took a gap year last year to travel and it still didn't help my decision in the slightest

As I said before think about what you enjoy doing and what you're good at and get experience in those areas.
Reply 5
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Can you not enrol at a local uni instead?

the university that is near me is only 45 minutes away but it is not that great of uni, so i suppose as a last resort
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
As I said before think about what you enjoy doing and what you're good at and get experience in those areas.

thankyou, i will have to do some research :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending