The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medici103
where else are you thinking of applying?

Swansea, Nottingham and St George's. I'm a law grad without science A levels so my options are limited.

Original post by 123ash
Hahaha, I went to Warwick Open Day and it seriously seems like great Medical School. The open day was very well planned too, with great teasers. It kind of seemed like the introduction day, with lecturers giving an introduction to modules taught, alongside student perspective. I really enjoyed it!

Good luck with your UKCAT

Thanks!

It looks like an amazing programme. And I like how it's grad only. I feel old enough when I'm not around 18 year olds haha

Unfortunately, I'm not sure at the moment how likely it will be that I will apply this year. My former employer has still not completed my reference request for 3 months despite the hospital contacting them twice and unless I start working soon I won't have the money for medical school.
Reply 61
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Swansea, Nottingham and St George's. I'm a law grad without science A levels so my options are limited.

Thanks!

It looks like an amazing programme. And I like how it's grad only. I feel old enough when I'm not around 18 year olds haha

Unfortunately, I'm not sure at the moment how likely it will be that I will apply this year. My former employer has still not completed my reference request for 3 months despite the hospital contacting them twice and unless I start working soon I won't have the money for medical school.

Well good luck, and I hope things work out for you :-)

I'm struggling so much with UKCAT, I highly doubt I'll make it this year!

What do you mean by Warwick only Grad?*
Original post by 123ash
Well good luck, and I hope things work out for you :-)

I'm struggling so much with UKCAT, I highly doubt I'll make it this year!

What do you mean by Warwick only Grad?*

Thanks.

Same here but you never know if you don't try and who knows? maybe everyone else will do worse than you!

Warwick's medicine programme is graduate only. So everyone will be around your age.
Reply 63
Thanks.

Same here but you never know if you don't try and who knows? maybe everyone else will do worse than you!

Warwick's medicine programme is graduate only. So everyone will be around your age.

Good luck to US ALL!

*But in all the graduate courses would not everyone be of similar age? Whichever UNI?
Original post by 123ash
Good luck to US ALL!

*But in all the graduate courses would not everyone be of similar age? Whichever UNI?

id imagine most of the people will be in their 20s with a few older people with families / previous established careers. but the important thing is we wont be surrounded by 18 year olds haha
Reply 65
Original post by Hugh Laurie
id imagine most of the people will be in their 20s with a few older people with families / previous established careers. but the important thing is we wont be surrounded by 18 year olds haha

That's what I thought. All grad medicine at whatever Uni will have graduate only studying the graduate course.

Im 30 and if i am successful and start in 2017 (which i highly doubt) i'll be 31!
The warwick open day had a good mix, some 19-24yrs and some over. But everyone looked very young! lol.*One candidate was 44yrs old :-)*
Original post by 123ash
That's what I thought. All grad medicine at whatever Uni will have graduate only studying the graduate course.

Im 30 and if i am successful and start in 2017 (which i highly doubt) i'll be 31!
The warwick open day had a good mix, some 19-24yrs and some over. But everyone looked very young! lol.*One candidate was 44yrs old :-)*

being 26, knowing that older people with far more established lives or careers than mine are studying GEM really helped me get over the age issue. i think ultimately if you know its what you want, nothing should get in the way.

and hey, not with that attitude you wont. think positive!
Reply 67
being 26, knowing that older people with far more established lives or careers than mine are studying GEM really helped me get over the age issue. i think ultimately if you know its what you want, nothing should get in the way.

and hey, not with that attitude you wont. think positive!

TBH, Age has never been an issue for me. I Know if i want something I'll try to achieve it whatever my age.*

But I can see it help if you don't feel like the odd one (lol), BUT i definitely don't feel that even if one is the only older one, it shouldn't get in the way.

I just got confused and thought the previous post meant atet at other UNi'S Grad students study alongside undergrad, which made me think how would that be possible, lol
I know, I know, But i am doing soo bad, that struggling to stay positive.

Thanks, I have to say this thread is full of support and positivity!*
Original post by 123ash
TBH, Age has never been an issue for me. I Know if i want something I'll try to achieve it whatever my age.*

But I can see it help if you don't feel like the odd one (lol), BUT i definitely don't feel that even if one is the only older one, it shouldn't get in the way.

I just got confused and thought the previous post meant atet at other UNi'S Grad students study alongside undergrad, which made me think how would that be possible, lol
I know, I know, But i am doing soo bad, that struggling to stay positive.

Thanks, I have to say this thread is full of support and positivity!*

doing so bad in what sense? ukcat preparation or work experience? dont be afraid to share here and we might be able to help. ah i see what you meant now, i believe thats the case after the first year of GEM at other universities, youll intercalate with the 5 year students in some lectures/placements, but im guessing youll still predominantly associate with your friends from the GEM cohort. its true at warwick therell be more people with similar age/experience in your year as you mentioned, thats why warwicks one of my choices too :P
Original post by 123ash
Good luck to US ALL!

I've heard that some universities combine the grads and nongrads when they're in their clinical years. Mind you, by then they'd probably be around 20/21.
Reply 70
doing so bad in what sense? ukcat preparation or work experience? dont be afraid to share here and we might be able to help. ah i see what you meant now, i believe thats the case after the first year of GEM at other universities, youll intercalate with the 5 year students in some lectures/placements, but im guessing youll still predominantly associate with your friends from the GEM cohort. its true at warwick therell be more people with similar age/experience in your year as you mentioned, thats why warwicks one of my choices too :P

Work experience is all OK, I'm not worried, I have a lot of different work experiences, which have been for long periods so I have actually gained and learnt a lot (I think, or shall I say I hope I have)

My issue is UKCAT. I thought I was good with AR and VR, so started Medify and then was going to spend a good 5-10days practicing QR before doing more QR on Medify.*

But since i stared Medify, my AR and VR scores are bad, Im hardly getting any correct.

I guess I just need to keep practicing. I don't know if I should delay my test, I have just under 20 days. Im thinking of deciding by the 15th August if i should delay, but what if there is no slots left to book? Feeling angry and frustrated with myself. *

I didn't know that after 1st year they merge grads and undergrads @ other uni's.

Did you go to the Warwick open day? It was great, if 'one' was in doubt, the open day that was organised and executed anyone would have been completed in love. I know I loved it.

What other Uni's are you applying?

Me Kings and Warwick (1st and only choices), may apply to Barts and Newcastle. but if the UKCAT is no good I won't be applying anywhere. haha*
Reply 71
I've heard that some universities combine the grads and nongrads when they're in their clinical years. Mind you, by then they'd probably be around 20/21.

Makes sense. I didn't know that.

By the way love your User ID. However, I'm panicking because im revising or shall i say practicing! lol
Original post by 123ash
Work experience is all OK, I'm not worried, I have a lot of different work experiences, which have been for long periods so I have actually gained and learnt a lot (I think, or shall I say I hope I have)

My issue is UKCAT. I thought I was good with AR and VR, so started Medify and then was going to spend a good 5-10days practicing QR before doing more QR on Medify.*

But since i stared Medify, my AR and VR scores are bad, Im hardly getting any correct.

I guess I just need to keep practicing. I don't know if I should delay my test, I have just under 20 days. Im thinking of deciding by the 15th August if i should delay, but what if there is no slots left to book? Feeling angry and frustrated with myself. *

I didn't know that after 1st year they merge grads and undergrads @ other uni's.

Did you go to the Warwick open day? It was great, if 'one' was in doubt, the open day that was organised and executed anyone would have been completed in love. I know I loved it.

What other Uni's are you applying?

Me Kings and Warwick (1st and only choices), may apply to Barts and Newcastle. but if the UKCAT is no good I won't be applying anywhere. haha*

I felt the same about QR and AR, but in the end both sections were a lot easier than the medify/ISC1000 practice questions (i managed to finish both sections in time without any guessing, unlike in practice). for VR, its about the same difficulty. as long as you develop a technique that works for you (scan answer first, skip longer passages, finding true/false questions first, whatever works for you in practice), you should do fine. i spent way too long on some questions even though i knew i shouldnt have >_< so be tough with yourself on timing when practicing VR on medify!

i didnt get a chance to come to the open day. ill be applying to southampton, newcastle, warwick and barts. each has its own appeals for me, but overall i think southampton will be my first choice - its where i grew up and i have a lot of fond memories, but i never got to know the city as an adult :P
Original post by 123ash
Makes sense. I didn't know that.

By the way love your User ID. However, I'm panicking because im revising or shall i say practicing! lol

Thanks. I try to not let it be true though for myself.
Reply 74
I felt the same about QR and AR, but in the end both sections were a lot easier than the medify/ISC1000 practice questions (i managed to finish both sections in time without any guessing, unlike in practice). for VR, its about the same difficulty. as long as you develop a technique that works for you (scan answer first, skip longer passages, finding true/false questions first, whatever works for you in practice), you should do fine. i spent way too long on some questions even though i knew i shouldnt have >_< so be tough with yourself on timing when practicing VR on medify!

i didnt get a chance to come to the open day. ill be applying to southampton, newcastle, warwick and barts. each has its own appeals for me, but overall i think southampton will be my first choice - its where i grew up and i have a lot of fond memories, but i never got to know the city as an adult :P

Thanks, thats nice to know that it may be a little easier. I will take on board all your tips from today as i practice, thanks. Im just getting more wrong then right atm. But I guess i need to just keep at it, I have some time left :-).

I wanted to apply to Southampton but Im not sure if they accept my degree. I emailed them twice but no response. But I guess it all depends on UKCAT score.

I feel the same way, Its nice to be studying for so long in a town/city which you like and know of. For me i'll be having to move :-(*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Thanks. I try to not let it be true though for myself.

We can do this!. We are all in it together. Its a very competitive field. We'll make it :-)
:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123ash
We can do this!. We are all in it together. Its a very competitive field. We'll make it :-)

Yes we can and hopefully we will.

I watch motivation vids on Youtube when I feel down and stuff. Works sometimes.
Reply 78
Yes we can and hopefully we will.

I watch motivation vids on Youtube when I feel down and stuff. Works sometimes.

OMG, I do that! Or I come on here and read someone sat the UKCAT and got like 750+ and think, it could be me!!
ill be applying to southampton, newcastle, warwick and barts.

Snap!

Latest

Trending

Trending