The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Manninger, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Ojo, Mane, Firmino, Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Benteke, Coutinho, Henderson, Moreno, Lallana, Brannagan, Ings, Stewart, Wisdom, Markovic, Randall, Alexander-Arnold, George

No Grujic - LFC not risking him after the concussion. No Origi.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, in the last 2 games in 120 minutes Henderson didn't complete a single tackle. A midfield 2 of Wij and Can were more controlling than a 3 of Hendo, Lallana and Wijnaldum.

And Klopp's comments on Sunday: "Until now we play 4-3-3 because that was okay for the boys that are here, but that's not our system for the whole year." suggest we're going 4-2-3-1 this season. Hopefully it's goodbye Henderson.

Also I'd put money on Klavan-Matip being our first choice CB partnership by November.
Original post by Samiz
Wow, in the last 2 games in 120 minutes Henderson didn't complete a single tackle. A midfield 2 of Wij and Can were more controlling than a 3 of Hendo, Lallana and Wijnaldum.

And Klopp's comments on Sunday: "Until now we play 4-3-3 because that was okay for the boys that are here, but that's not our system for the whole year." suggest we're going 4-2-3-1 this season. Hopefully it's goodbye Henderson.

Also I'd put money on Klavan-Matip being our first choice CB partnership by November.

That's pretty embarrassing tbh.

The thing is, right now he's our captain but I can't see him being good enough for the first team.
We'd get a good sum if we sold him and I reckon a lot of mid-table sides would want him too.

It's clear that 4-2-3-1 is our preferred formation because it gives the ability to play both wingers and CAMs when necessary. The three behind the striker can be as fluid and interchangeable as they like since they know there's a pair protecting the defence behind them.

All in all, I'm not too bothered about pre-season unless we play a game with our best possible side.

Without Karius/Matip/Sakho/Can in our side and with players like Coutinho needing a rest, it isn't a true representation of the quality that our side has.
Original post by Lúcio
That's pretty embarrassing tbh.

The thing is, right now he's our captain but I can't see him being good enough for the first team.
We'd get a good sum if we sold him and I reckon a lot of mid-table sides would want him too.

It's clear that 4-2-3-1 is our preferred formation because it gives the ability to play both wingers and CAMs when necessary. The three behind the striker can be as fluid and interchangeable as they like since they know there's a pair protecting the defence behind them.

All in all, I'm not too bothered about pre-season unless we play a game with our best possible side.

Without Karius/Matip/Sakho/Can in our side and with players like Coutinho needing a rest, it isn't a true representation of the quality that our side has.

I agree with it being preseason but I gave Henderson a clean slate and it's just bad. He has no understanding of when to ask for the ball and breaking up the passing lanes. If he starts in a 2 then hello games which finish 24-19 and goodbye top 4.

And I gave Lallana a clean slate, he hasn't infuriated me. But in the first half our attack was brilliant, free flowing, direct and quick. Swap Ojo for Coutinho and I wanna see that badly. It's no shock that Lallana, and his 59 Cryuff turns, slows down our attacks and last night was the evidence if ever needed.
Pre-season never a true reflection on form though. Players have different aims compared to how a premier league game would be treated. Not sure why Henderson committed no tackles but I'd never trust stats without seeing the game too for context.
Reply 8805
"Liverpool is planning a bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games, the city's mayor has said."

Everton's new stadium?
So is anyone on here going to Wembley on Saturday to watch us play Barcelona?
Original post by Steven246
So is anyone on here going to Wembley on Saturday to watch us play Barcelona?

Yep.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Yep.

Same :smile:
Original post by Steven246
Same :smile:

Having just watched their reserves batter Leicester, forgive me if I'm a little pessimistic :lol:
Reply 8810
I imagine we're going to play our first 11 against Barca and our second 11 against Mainz.
Grujic and Matip back in training, will play this weekend. Lucas still out.
Original post by Fish40
We should get top 4 mate, as managers at man utd man city and chelsea should be settling in and wont win every game. As we've had Klopp for longer then their managers. We should get top 4. We can beat arsenal and tottenham in matches but maybe a chelsea man city or man utd are the only teams that may beat us.

Managers don't always need to settle. Look at Ranieri last season or Pellegrini in 13/14
Milner retires from international football. Only 30 so he should be good for a few more years yet..
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470420553.987836.jpg

Saw this on Reddit - apparently Lucas Leiva has the highest number of tackles in Premier League history...
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470420553.987836.jpg

Saw this on Reddit - apparently Lucas Leiva has the highest number of tackles in Premier League history...

Crazy that is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
Milner retires from international football. Only 30 so he should be good for a few more years yet..

If only he wasn't such a mediocre player...

I really hope Liverpool do well this year. I really like Klopp, and wish he can emulate his success at Dortmund in Liverpool. But I just don't see him having the squad. He also didn't make the signings they need I think.
Original post by inhuman
If only he wasn't such a mediocre player...

I really hope Liverpool do well this year. I really like Klopp, and wish he can emulate his success at Dortmund in Liverpool. But I just don't see him having the squad. He also didn't make the signings they need I think.

The signings Klopp has made for the most part are exactly what we need:

Mane- pacey, can play on the wings also AM and up front if needs be. In the past two seasons at Soton in the league he has 11 goals and 4 assists and 11 goals and 9 assists. Mane will certainly rectify our lack of pace in the team (especially during counter attacks) and he has an eye for the goal too. In the goal scoring sense he's an upgrade on the likes of Lallana, Milner and Henderson which is what we are crying out for.

Karius- young keeper who is very confident, hopefully our number one this year and provides good competition for Mignolet. Karius was voted the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga by the players and only behind Neuer, not bad for a 22 year old keeper. We've seen how Mignolet can go through periods where he seems ok but always has a clanger in him. For a team wanting at least top 4 he is nowhere near good enough. I'm happy with Mignolet as second choice.

Matip- solid CB with loads of experience, he's tall and is strong at heading the ball (exactly what we need when defending set pieces). He was also the number one defender for blocking the most shots in the bundesliga last season. Not to mention he also scored 3 goals and had 3 assists.

Klavan- experienced and bought as defensive cover for CB and even LB, he had the second most blocked shots last season in the bundesliga.

Wijnaldum- I'm not quite sure where he'll play for us, some say CM (like he did in his PSV days), but the great thing is he can play in a number of positions- CM, AM, on the wings and even in deeper positions. Again he has an eye for goal, he scored 11 goals and made 6 assists. Which considering he played for a crap Newcastle who were relegated is not bad at all. I know there are concerns that he's not consistent and his work ethic has been questioned but I trust Klopp to bring out the best in him.

Grujic- he's very young (20), but what I've seen of him in preseason has been good. He's not shy taking shots and looks to make things happen, he already scored two goals during preseason. He's a big lad- 6ft 3" so he adds a lot of height and strength in CM which is what we really need. Definitely one for the future.

The signings Klopp have made all aim to rectify problems in the squad- lack of pace, lack of midfield goal scorers, competition for Mignolet. Sure these signings aren't getting the fans super excited but Klopp is right in signing players who actually want to play for us. I know the fans were dying for Gotze to join (myself included) but if he didn't want to play for us due to a lack of CL and has no desire to fight at the club to bring home trophies and regular CL football then we don't need guys like that. Most important thing is that the Klopp signed the players early on in the window so they've had time to train with the squad and understand his tactics. I'm certainly really hopeful of this upcoming season, I expect no less than top 4.

The one thing Klopp will be criticised for is if he doesn't sign a new LB to compete with Moreno. If we enter the season with only Moreno, and Joe Gomez and Milner as defensive cover then we are just asking for trouble. Attacking wise Moreno is good due to his pace but defensively he isn't up to scratch at all. There's still time left so I do hope Klopp is looking to sign a defensively solid LB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The.Joker
The signings Klopp has made for the most part are exactly what we need:

Mane- pacey, can play on the wings also AM and up front if needs be. In the past two seasons at Soton in the league he has 11 goals and 4 assists and 11 goals and 9 assists. Mane will certainly rectify our lack of pace in the team (especially during counter attacks) and he has an eye for the goal too. In the goal scoring sense he's an upgrade on the likes of Lallana, Milner and Henderson which is what we are crying out for.

Karius- young keeper who is very confident, hopefully our number one this year and provides good competition for Mignolet. Karius was voted the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga by the players and only behind Neuer, not bad for a 22 year old keeper. We've seen how Mignolet can go through periods where he seems ok but always has a clanger in him. For a team wanting at least top 4 he is nowhere near good enough. I'm happy with Mignolet as second choice.

Matip- solid CB with loads of experience, he's tall and is strong at heading the ball (exactly what we need when defending set pieces). He was also the number one defender for blocking the most shots in the bundesliga last season. Not to mention he also scored 3 goals and had 3 assists.

Klavan- experienced and bought as defensive cover for CB and even LB, he had the second most blocked shots last season in the bundesliga.

Wijnaldum- I'm not quite sure where he'll play for us, some say CM (like he did in his PSV days), but the great thing is he can play in a number of positions- CM, AM, on the wings and even in deeper positions. Again he has an eye for goal, he scored 11 goals and made 6 assists. Which considering he played for a crap Newcastle who were relegated is not bad at all. I know there are concerns that he's not consistent and his work ethic has been questioned but I trust Klopp to bring out the best in him.

Grujic- he's very young (20), but what I've seen of him in preseason has been good. He's not shy taking shots and looks to make things happen, he already scored two goals during preseason. He's a big lad- 6ft 3" so he adds a lot of height and strength in CM which is what we really need. Definitely one for the future.

The signings Klopp have made all aim to rectify problems in the squad- lack of pace, lack of midfield goal scorers, competition for Mignolet. Sure these signings aren't getting the fans super excited but Klopp is right in signing players who actually want to play for us. I know the fans were dying for Gotze to join (myself included) but if he didn't want to play for us due to a lack of CL and has no desire to fight at the club to bring home trophies and regular CL football then we don't need guys like that. Most important thing is that the Klopp signed the players early on in the window so they've had time to train with the squad and understand his tactics. I'm certainly really hopeful of this upcoming season, I expect no less than top 4.

The one thing Klopp will be criticised for is if he doesn't sign a new LB to compete with Moreno. If we enter the season with only Moreno, and Joe Gomez and Milner as defensive cover then we are just asking for trouble. Attacking wise Moreno is good due to his pace but defensively he isn't up to scratch at all. There's still time left so I do hope Klopp is looking to sign a defensively solid LB.

Oh no, I don't deny he targeted players for roles that need improvement.

I am just saying while spending £100 on a single star might be outrageous, you do need special players. Why did they almost win the league? Well Suarez and how good he was and how he made others around him look great. Why did Pep win so many CL titles with Barca but failed with Bayern. At Bayern he didn't have the best player in the world or the likes of Xavi/Iniesta (Robben and Ribery always injured). Even Leicester - one of their players was voted player of the year! They had the top goalscorer and the other top guy had a team that was so close to contending til the very end when they fumbled and even Arsenal caught them.

I don't see anyone of these players being that special. He says he doesn't want to spend that big, thinks it's not what football is about. Ok, true. But look back at his 2 Bundesliga titles. He didn't spend big, but he scouted big. Kagawa then was another player, Götze was in much better form, he had Lewandowski and Reus, and Gündogan wasn't always injured then. In the back he had Hummels, Piszcek was amazing, that CL semifinal he shut down Ronaldo completely.
Original post by inhuman
Oh no, I don't deny he targeted players for roles that need improvement.

I am just saying while spending £100 on a single star might be outrageous, you do need special players. Why did they almost win the league? Well Suarez and how good he was and how he made others around him look great. Why did Pep win so many CL titles with Barca but failed with Bayern. At Bayern he didn't have the best player in the world or the likes of Xavi/Iniesta (Robben and Ribery always injured). Even Leicester - one of their players was voted player of the year! They had the top goalscorer and the other top guy had a team that was so close to contending til the very end when they fumbled and even Arsenal caught them.

I don't see anyone of these players being that special. He says he doesn't want to spend that big, thinks it's not what football is about. Ok, true. But look back at his 2 Bundesliga titles. He didn't spend big, but he scouted big. Kagawa then was another player, Götze was in much better form, he had Lewandowski and Reus, and Gündogan wasn't always injured then. In the back he had Hummels, Piszcek was amazing, that CL semifinal he shut down Ronaldo completely.

The main thing this season will be Sturridge to keep himself fit, on his day he is absolutely clinical and has that star quality we need. We saw that in the 13/14 season where his goals actually accrued more points for the team than Suarez's. Not to mention Coutinho also has that magical touch, we saw last season how he was able to score some absolute beauties. Hopefully he's more consistent this year as he has a penchant of disappearing in some games.

IIRC, Reus was the only one who was bought for relative big money compared to the other signings? Nobody knew who Lewandowski, Hummels etc were before Klopp coached them into world class players. Sure Mane, Wijnaldum and other squad members etc aren't exactly world beaters now but Klopp can coach them to improve further like he did at Dortmund. If Klopp was able to do it at Dortmund I have faith he can do it again at Liverpool. The main thing is Klopp has the final say on transfers so this is now his own squad, it'll be very interesting to see how the team develops this season.

Latest