The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

It's crazy the amount of variance between what people have been saying about the exam with regards to its difficulty.
Seems to me that you either get lucky with QR or you don't.
VR sounds horrible this year too :/
Original post by N Ch
In the real test, would it be better to just skip the decision making section since its score isnt going to be counted?

That is not a good idea, because you do not get time added to other sections if you finish a section faster for example. Also, many universities look at your responses and they want to see how you think? AH so don't do it!

EDIT: Ok I realised no one sees the answers? But whats the point of the section then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chikku_7
I have my test in 13 days! Any final tips?

Chill out, give yourself time to breath!

just keep practising, dont overdo it but make sure your comfortable will all the sections and the question types.

On the day, dont panic, keep calm and know that the UKCAT score is not the end of the world, nor does it make or break your medicine application!

Best of luck x
Original post by Chikku_7
That is not a good idea, because you do not get time added to other sections if you finish a section faster for example. Also, many universities look at your responses and they want to see how you think? AH so don't do it!

Universities will not receive your results from the Decision Making section. Even you won't know what you got!
Reply 1304
Original post by ah639
Universities will not receive your results from the Decision Making section. Even you won't know what you got!

That's why I thought there wasn't really any point in completing that section
(Don't read if you don't want a spoiler to one SJ question in the first medify mock)

"David is a 4th year medical student who is on an attachment on a ward. During this time, he consistantly feels belittled by a fellow student on the ward. He feels that this critiscism is really affecting him and that it is making him perform worse in general on his studies. He also feels that the reason behind all of the criticism is personal, but does not know what it is.How appropriate are each of the following responses by David in this situation?

Talk to his supervisor about the issues that he’s been having on the placement with the other student. "

According to the ICS book, my understanding is that this is categorically a C, because he's approaching someone senior before addressing the issue with the actual person first. But medify has it as an A. Any advice on which way they'd like you to answer in the real thing?
Original post by Chikkinn
(Don't read if you don't want a spoiler to one SJ question in the first medify mock)

"David is a 4th year medical student who is on an attachment on a ward. During this time, he consistantly feels belittled by a fellow student on the ward. He feels that this critiscism is really affecting him and that it is making him perform worse in general on his studies. He also feels that the reason behind all of the criticism is personal, but does not know what it is.How appropriate are each of the following responses by David in this situation?

Talk to his supervisor about the issues that he’s been having on the placement with the other student. "

According to the ICS book, my understanding is that this is categorically a C, because he's approaching someone senior before addressing the issue with the actual person first. But medify has it as an A. Any advice on which way they'd like you to answer in the real thing?

Well, why do you think it's inappropriate in any way, shape or form? :smile:
Original post by noslomai
Hi,
I am really struggling with VR because of the timing. Do you guys have any useful strategy how to tackle the questions? I don't know if I should read the passage first and try to understand it or only look for keywords. Unfortunately I am a really slow reader and there is not much I can do about it since English is not my first language and skim-reading with good comprehension is very difficult to me :frown:
Please help :frown:

Hi!

I too was struggling with VR, but am now finding it much easier. I was trying to read the entire passage but this just isn't possible in the time. I now read the question, pick out key words and find them in the text to answer the question. Finding this is so much better and i found i even had time spare when i did a mock!! *
Original post by usycool1
Well, why do you think it's inappropriate in any way, shape or form? :smile:

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. But I can also understand the ICS book's perspective. I quote from the answer to SJ12.4:

"At the UKCAT, talking to someone's superior before you have attempted to resolve the issue with the individual concerned will always rank as inappropriate but not awful."

It seems like a reasonable standard of conflict resolution that you should attempt to fix it at the source before escalating things. It's a common theme in SJ and, true to its word, it was always a C in the ICS book. Medify clearly disagree though.

If you do the official UKCAT questions you will see that talking to someone's supervisor is ALWAYS ranked as C. That is because it is inappropriate to talk to the supervisor before you have talked to the person who is causing the issue first. So, in that respect the ISC book is aligned with the official questions.

The only exceptions ie where it is appropriate to talk to someone else are:

1 - if you want to get some advice from someone else about whether and how to approach the individual but that someone else will have to be your peer or someone independent
2 - If it may make things worse if you do, o for example if they may destroy evidence. Or you are likely to get punched, or you have already voiced your concerns with the individual and they ignored you, or a patient is in danger.

In the case of David above, clearly it is down to him to sort his problems out first and so it would be appropriate to talk to him about it, or to offer go to and see his supervisor with him so you can provide support. But you can;t just go behind his back and interfere with his business.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UKCATrocks
If you do the official UKCAT questions you will see that talking to someone's supervisor is ALWAYS ranked as C. That is because it is inappropriate to talk to the supervisor before you have talked to the person who is causing the issue first. So, in that respect the ISC book is aligned with the official questions.

The only exceptions ie where it is appropriate to talk to someone else are:

1 - if you want to get some advice from someone else about whether and how to approach the individual but that someone else will have to be your peer or someone independent
2 - If it may make things worse if you do, o for example if they may destroy evidence. Or you are likely to get punched, or you have already voiced your concerns with the individual and they ignored you, or a patient is in danger.

In the case of David above, clearly it is down to him to sort his problems out first and so it would be appropriate to talk to him about it, or to offer go to and see his supervisor with him so you can provide support. But you can;t just go behind his back and interfere with his business.

What a comprehensive answer! Thank you, I was happy in the knowledge that these types of questions are almost always Cs. I'm glad it's the case for the real thing.
Original post by raniafern
In set B, the number of right angles is always equal to the number of triangles.
Can't seem to find the rule of Set A at the moment :frown: What is it?

bottom right on set b has 14 right angles, but theres 16 triangles.
Original post by Pra99
bottom right on set b has 14 right angles, but theres 16 triangles.

Nope, it's got 16 right angles. Count again. Even the ones on the outside of the squares.

The supervisor is Davids supervisor. Not the other students supervisor. Therefore, David is asking for advice, which is always appropriate. The ISC book is talking about a situation where David goes and talks to the other students supervisor (and complain about him), which is inappropriate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pra99
The supervisor is Davids supervisor. Not the other students supervisor. Therefore, David is asking for advice, which is always appropriate. The ISC book is talking about a situation where David goes and talks to the other students supervisor (and complain about him), which is inappropriate.

Ah okay. In that case the question is badly written. It should say 'his own' supervisor. In that case it is indeed likely an A or a B maybe because he should still talk the guy first, should he not?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pra99

Original post by UKCATrocks
Ah okay. In that case the question is badly written. It should say 'his own' supervisor. In that case it is indeed likely an A or a B maybe because he should still talk the guy first, should he not?

Yeah, I can see why it'd be either depending on whose supervisor it is. I expect the real thing won't be so ambiguous, and I know what to do in either case now. Thanks!
Original post by N Ch
In the real test, would it be better to just skip the decision making section since its score isnt going to be counted?

Don't skip it entirely. Use the time to take a break.
Also the decision making comes just before the quantitative reasoning. I used some time during decision making to work out how to use the calculator properly (as in which buttons on the keyboard correspond to the buttons on the onscreen calculator). Helped quite a lot.
Original post by varuns
Hey guys

I really need tips for the QR section of the ukcat
I can't manage my time well and I feel like I use the calculator a lot
I gave a mock test just yesterday and did horrible in QR (got 450)
I'm really paranoid over this section , maths has never come easy to me
Please give me some tips on how to practice to improve speed and accuracy

Thanks guys

I did my UKCAT today and this section was the one I struggled with the most. I was averaging like 450 - 500 in the mock tests I did in the days leading up and came out with an 800 so trust me when I say it is possible to do better.

1. The most important thing to not do is panic (easier said than done I know), as being overly stressed will mess with your brain function. The decision making section is half an hour long and comes before QR. Use this time to prepare for QR by making sure you can use the calculator and taking a moment to relax. This will speed you up in the real thing as being able to use the calculator quickly is vital and being a bit calmer will help you think clearer.

2. Find a tactic that works. I knew there was no way I was going to manage to do them all in the time (and I didn't in the real thing). I also found that the questions where there was loads to read stressed me out and slowed me down. I went through the test reading the questions and doing the ones I knew I could without too much hassle and then came back to the harder ones. This in itself takes practice as you need to learn to identify which questions are easier. You should also consider that flicking back and forth through the system can waste time.

3. Do lots of practice in converting units, percentage increase and decrease etc. and you will find the calculations will be easier to work out as they tend to repeat the types of questions.

Sorry this was really long, but best of luck with it, and don't forget to work on the other sections too, because if you do really well in them you can compensate. :smile:
How are people revising for verbal reasoning? I'm concerned as the Medify questions are being too nice to me but the 1000Q book is horrific when it gets to the statement questions. I don't want to practice anymore questions from that book until a little closer to the date so I was wondering how else people revised VR?
Original post by Orlanda
Hey guys,

Any tips for the QR apart from 'flag the hard ones and come back?'
Really struggling

Has anyone had any success stories where they've gone from being really **** at QR to getting a great score? Need some inspo about to give up ahah

I was averaging 450 the day before and ended up with 800. Miracles do happen.
I basically just came terms with the fact that I was never gonna be able to do all the questions in the time and learned to look out for the easier questions, basically concentrating on accuracy rather than speed. This meant questions where the calculations were simpler, not necessarily the ones with the least info. I used the 30 mins of DM which comes before QR to take a nice break, calm myself, learn how to use the calculator etc..

If I'm honest, the questions were more doable than I thought they were going to be so there is hope for you yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending