The Student Room Group

Help concidering options

Hello,

I currently study Computer Science and have recently finished first year (with a first). However, i feel like this university isnt the best for me and never applied for high universities such as Cambridge due to personal reasons at the time feeling like i wouldnt be capable of my best work.

I have been thinking a lot about changing universities now however it is too late to apply to many universities this year (and do not accept people through clearing or adjustment).

The options for me then would be to:
- Complete my second year and then apply. (meaning i would have more debt and not qualification for completing the second year). As well as this i would have to repay the scholarships i have recieved.
- Take a year out, leave my current university, and apply for September 2017 entry. However there is a chance i wouldnt get into my preferred universities and would have left my current degree.
- Finish my course and then apply for a second degree probably in a form of engineering (this is probably my preffered option however to my understanding i would not be able to get student finance for a full time course and would be restarting university at the age of 21/22).

I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on these.

Thank you in advance
Most universities don't accept transfers into a second year unless the topics covered in first year are very similar.

It is very hard to transfer after first year.
Original post by chazzlewazzle
Hello,

I currently study Computer Science and have recently finished first year (with a first). However, i feel like this university isnt the best for me and never applied for high universities such as Cambridge due to personal reasons at the time feeling like i wouldnt be capable of my best work.

I have been thinking a lot about changing universities now however it is too late to apply to many universities this year (and do not accept people through clearing or adjustment).

The options for me then would be to:
- Complete my second year and then apply. (meaning i would have more debt and not qualification for completing the second year). As well as this i would have to repay the scholarships i have recieved.
- Take a year out, leave my current university, and apply for September 2017 entry. However there is a chance i wouldnt get into my preferred universities and would have left my current degree.
- Finish my course and then apply for a second degree probably in a form of engineering (this is probably my preffered option however to my understanding i would not be able to get student finance for a full time course and would be restarting university at the age of 21/22).

I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on these.

Thank you in advance

If you won't get full funding for Engineering after finishing your degree you could do a HNC or HND part-time in Engineering at a college while working and saving saving money (this might work out to be a little cheaper), and then apply for a top-up at a university after you finish for an additional year or two to get a full degree (I think student finance will cover some of the cost if it's part-time Engineering). If you have a Computer Science degree and a HNC or HND in Engineering though you'll get hired as an engineer but you may find it hard progressing in the companies without a full Engineering degree.

If you're getting a First though that's great. As long as you're learning programming outside of your course too you'll be fine. Don't rely on the universities too much to teach you what you really need to know.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending