The Student Room Group

Passed my test 5 months ago, still really nervous

I passed my test 5 months ago and have had a car for a year now. I drive maybe once a fortnight with one of my parents next to me just to get some practice but I absolutely hate it. I've never driven alone either because I have no confidence.

Firstly, I don't feel safe in my car, it's a tiny car and I just don't trust it. Even when one of my parents is driving it occasionally my heart will drop with fear even though they're both excellent drivers.

Also, everytime I drive something minor will happen and it will completely knock all of my confidence. Today I drove to the supermarket, everything went perfectly until I was in the car park and I turned a corner a little fast and could feel that I was going too fast especially when there was a car in the other lane, I didn't go in their lane but it made my Mum flinch and so I got upset and angry and made her drive home.

I don't know what to do because it's been 5 months since passing. I passed with 1 minor and yet my instructor said afterwards that the instructor probably passed me because it means less paper work for him to do. :/ I'm supposed to be driving to work next month which is a 10 mile journey everyday and I haven't even been round the block on my own.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it me? Is it the car? What do I do. Please help, I know driving is such a small part of life but it is making me so stressed and anxious.
Reply 1
Drive more. Also if you do something wrong, go back to the spot where you did it, and do it again, in other words face your fears; if you don't like turning right at busy junctions (for example), make sure that you go out of your way to do it, that will help.
Reply 2
Original post by Jjj90
Drive more. Also if you do something wrong, go back to the spot where you did it, and do it again, in other words face your fears; if you don't like turning right at busy junctions (for example), make sure that you go out of your way to do it, that will help.

I don't fear anything specifically but rather I blow tiny little errors out of proportion and stress out over them. Things that every driver probably does and thinks 'whoops' and then gets over it, like taking a corner slightly too fast or pulling out at a roundabout when you shouldn't have, etc...
Original post by Sparkliest
I drive maybe once a fortnight with one of my parents next to me just to get some practice

There's your problem. So you've driven about 10 times since you passed, AND you've had 2 week gaps inbetween each one of those drives and you've probably gone a little rusty in that time since you're inexperienced. If you want to get comfortable with driving and your car, drive it as often as you can. You more you drive, the more comfortable you'll feel and your confidence will grow. You may hate it now, but as you get better and more comfortable with it, you'll enjoy it more.

I find it laughable how I used to get anxious and take a big gulp every time I sat in the driver's seat after I passed my test, compared to how I am now as I drive as a way of getting a bit of time to myself, relax myself and clear my head. Keep driving, get more confident and it'll be the same for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't fear anything specifically but rather I blow tiny little errors out of proportion and stress out over them. Things that every driver probably does and thinks 'whoops' and then gets over it, like taking a corner slightly too fast or pulling out at a roundabout when you shouldn't have, etc...

Yeah, as I said above, this will pass with time if you drive regularly. When you first pass you just want to be a perfect driver. My brother recently passed his test and always pulls me up on things like driving over a mini roundabout or accelerating harshly, to which I reply that I stopped caring about these things long ago :lol:
You should be driving everyday you idiot
You passed - meaning it's legal for you to drive a car!! Own it!! What are you afraid of lol
Original post by samina_ay
You should be driving everyday you idiot
You passed - meaning it's legal for you to drive a car!! Own it!! What are you afraid of lol

Amen brother.

But seriously, drive more. Driving less doesn't make you less scared of driving. And anyway, everyone makes mistakes, and that really doesn't seem like a huge mistake to me.

For example, I've been driving for a couple years now, and I can't park for crap. Especially here where spaces are smaller ;c
Reply 7
I passed my test 4.5 years ago, but have barely driven since I'm so terrified of it. My dad made me get insured on his car last month (a 7 seater with a 2 litre engine) and then made me drive on the motorway. I've never been so scared in my life, I was doing Hail Marys on the sliproad. I think I'm going to need more lessons before I really take to it.
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
x

Original post by samina_ay
x

Original post by Crystalyne
x

Thank you for the replies. Do you think I should continue driivng with parents and try and get out everyday to practice or just go out on my own?
Thank you for the replies. Do you think I should continue driivng with parents and try and get out everyday to practice or just go out on my own?

Definitely go out on your own! It's scary at first but after the first couple times you get used to it. It helps if you can put a playlist of your own music on too.

Parents are a pain in the ass mostly because they won't trust you driving until years after your test.

For example, my mom is still protective of me driving.. I don't take notice of it but it can be a confidence problem if you haven't driven much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending