The Student Room Group

A Level choices?

Just wondering what everyones A Level choices for September are and why. Feel free to discuss :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by SchrodingersMatt
Just wondering what everyones A Level choices for September are and why. Feel free to discuss :smile:

As you havent had many replies I though I would :smile: Im doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level what about you
Original post by JackLeggett
As you havent had many replies I though I would :smile: Im doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level what about you

Ha, thanks. Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Enjoy biology 😉😂
Reply 4
Original post by SchrodingersMatt
Ha, thanks. Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. Enjoy biology 😉😂

I'm doing the exact same as you Matt. Do you know what exam boards?
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
the above are all good choices/combos, I personally did A Level Maths, Physics and Biology
Reply 7
Original post by BasharAssad
the above are all good choices/combos, I personally did A Level Maths, Physics and Biology

How did you find them individually?
Personally I would definitely avoid doing 3 sciences with maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by riyadhussain123
Personally I would definitely avoid doing 3 sciences with maths

If you want to do a science course at uni, many require maths and at least one, often two sciences. Three sciences with maths is a perfect combination...
If I move schools I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Computing.
If I stay I'll be doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and God knows what.
I was planning on doing Chemistry but I hate it now and my current school doesn't really have many options so we'll see.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
If you want to do a science course at uni, many require maths and at least one, often two sciences. Three sciences with maths is a perfect combination...

2 sciences with maths is enough imo, i did my AS last year and the new spec is significantly harder than the old spec especially with the sciences. Maths is fine but the sciences killed me because the papers were 10x harder than the past papers because they were new spec papers. You have to be realistic and think about choosing your subjects carefully, i thought the sciences would be a great combo but i regretted choosing them halfway through the year, as well as many people I know who chose 2-3 sciences plus a 4th subject
2 sciences with maths is enough imo, i did my AS last year and the new spec is significantly harder than the old spec especially with the sciences. Maths is fine but the sciences killed me because the papers were 10x harder than the past papers because they were new spec papers. You have to be realistic and think about choosing your subjects carefully, i thought the sciences would be a great combo but i regretted choosing them halfway through the year, as well as many people I know who chose 2-3 sciences plus a 4th subject

Personally, I think taking closely related subjects is a lot easier than day taking two sciences, maths and history. The skills and knowledge are much more easily transferred between subjects, for example the mechanics modules in maths conver a huge chunk of the physics syllabus, thus reducing the overall amount of work you do. Also, people who are good at science subjects may not be very good at arts or humanities, so there isn't much choice...
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Personally, I think taking closely related subjects is a lot easier than day taking two sciences, maths and history. The skills and knowledge are much more easily transferred between subjects, for example the mechanics modules in maths conver a huge chunk of the physics syllabus, thus reducing the overall amount of work you do. Also, people who are good at science subjects may not be very good at arts or humanities, so there isn't much choice...

fair point
Reply 14

What sciences did you do? Are you taking any of them on to year 13?
Original post by Youngey4
I'm doing the exact same as you Matt. Do you know what exam boards?

AQA for the science and I think either EDEXCEL or AQA for the math subjects

Good luck!!!
Original post by Rajive
What sciences did you do? Are you taking any of them on to year 13?

I did maths, chem, physics and geography
I'm dropping physics because I hate it and i found out I didn't need it for my uni course
I did maths, chem, physics and geography
I'm dropping physics because I hate it and i found out I didn't need it for my uni course

I did like physics at gcse but it all changed
Original post by Rajive
How did you find them individually?
Quite good tbh, my favourite was Maths!
As someone who's recently finished A levels make sure you think about which Uni/what course you're going to do, just in case you need something specific. Seems like common sense but it's important ^.^

Quick Reply