The Student Room Group

Britain entering a recession?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't clear what happens in a case where the ruling class is divided, as it was in this instance. Effectively, the Cameron case was to use a referendum as a tool to settle a dispute within the ruling elements of the Right. That was seized on by part of the Right to run neo-fascist themes like extreme racism as a reactionary toolkit. I do see that it's different to the straight "approve the whims of the Dear Leader" type of referendum, but it still operated within a context of wholesale misleading of the working class and distortion of major issues.

- Cameron used the referendum as a last ditch bargaining tool with the public before the last election as all the polls had Labour winning the general election. It wasn't to 'settle a dispute' within the right.

- There was no 'extreme racism' used by the leave campaign. As we have experienced recently with Germany and France, migration causes real problems and many would agree that control of borders, NOT NO IMMIGRATION would be a good plan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But you could say that about our entire parliamentary democracy.

The solution isn't just to do away with democracy completely and give all power to the arguing plutocrats.

The working class should get off their backside and make the arguing ruling class regret the day they caved to the demands of universal suffererage.

I'd settle just for the carers to go on strike. An extra £200 a week should suffice.

Many of the working class are all too easily bought off by contrast.
Original post by Codetto
- Cameron used the referendum as a last ditch bargaining tool with the public before the last election as all the polls had Labour winning the general election. It wasn't to 'settle a dispute' within the right.

Care to point these out? milliband was never going to get elected because he was hopeless, nearly as woeful as Corbyn.
The BBC reports seem to put a lot of the blame on investors and the construction market etc. Well if they had faith in this nation that wouldn't be a problem.

When we make our trade deal with China things will perk right up ^.^
Original post by JohnGreek
What an innocent way of looking at life. This nation has given them little to have faith for lately.

The companies who are scaling down production are doing so because of their own economic self interest. The patriotic fanfare from certain groups of people doesn't mean jack to them if it doesn't affect their bottom line.

Well, slowing down business seems like a mighty fine way to lose business if you ask me
Original post by JohnGreek
Not if you're unsure as to whether the demand will still be there in 5 years' time, after Brexit has been negotiated and put into effect... Construction companies are involved in the business of investing in expensive capital projects in the hope of attracting buyers one day in the future. If they feel that demand, due to Britain leaving the EU, will be deficient, then they will obviously build less in order to prevent themselves from having an excess supply of housing/office space/whatever. That's what leads to falls in output (and I imagine employment as well).

It's not like business will be on pause for ten years while it all gets sorted out
Original post by 1010marina
The BBC reports seem to put a lot of the blame on investors and the construction market etc. Well if they had faith in this nation that wouldn't be a problem.

When we make our trade deal with China things will perk right up ^.^

Businesss operate on the basis of where they think they will make money. If its not an attractive time they wont invest becayse they dislike uncertainty or risk.

Thats the whole point they dont have faith to invest.
It's not like business will be on pause for ten years while it all gets sorted out

They can invest elsewhere though.
Original post by 999tigger
Businesss operate on the basis of where they think they will make money. If its not an attractive time they wont invest becayse they dislike uncertainty or risk.

Thats the whole point they dont have faith to invest.

And if every business in the world invests elsewhere then we have a problem. But if everyone carries on with usual business, there's no problem.

It's just mass hysteria lol. I'm not denying there's a problem it's just a weird one
To be frank, I can't give you the answer. Just pray,dude. Just pray.

1470239758959.jpg

1470239800908.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
And if every business in the world invests elsewhere then we have a problem. But if everyone carries on with usual business, there's no problem.

It's just mass hysteria lol. I'm not denying there's a problem it's just a weird one

Its not weird at all, its stadard economics and entirely predictable. Businesses like to make money and follow the best strategy to do so. You seem to think they should be investing regardless of whether Brexit or economic outlook might affect them. Noy mass hysteria at all its sound economics and risk management.
X

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
x

Lol at the last box, exactly what Mr Gove said! :rolleyes:
Its not weird at all, its stadard economics and entirely predictable. Businesses like to make money and follow the best strategy to do so. You seem to think they should be investing regardless of whether Brexit or economic outlook might affect them. Noy mass hysteria at all its sound economics and risk management.

That's exactly what it is though.. overreaction
It's going to be entertaining for sure.
That's exactly what it is though.. overreaction

Explain why its overreaction? What do you know that they dont?
What guarantees can you give?
So much for all the lies from the Brexiteers about everything looking much better than Remainers said it would. In fact, if anything, it's looking worse.

It is looking much better.
Remainers were predicting the apocalypse. Every major multinational corporation was to have relocated elsewhere, the banks were going to move to Frankfurt, the rest of the world was going to shun us, no one would trade with us, the union would disintegrate and the economy was going to implode.
Short term financial instability was entirely expected, so frankly this is both in line with general Leave predictions and still much better than what Remainers said would happen. If the economy stagnates or declines over the next five-ten years then you'd have an argument.
Explain why its overreaction? What do you know that they dont?
What guarantees can you give?

We're a working nation with good jobs and good business. Yes we have our problems but we're not going under. One of the biggest economies in the world is not going to be downed by leaving the EU. All those claims straight after Brexit that "a generation's future was lost" and "we're heading towards a financial catastrophe" ... It's just an overreaction. Nobody knows what's going to happen so I can't "guarantee"anything, but I'll give you one that you can quote me on:

In ten---fifteen years, most people will be grateful for the Brexit vote.

And if not, whoops my bad ^^
Original post by pol pot noodles
It is looking much better.
Remainers were predicting the apocalypse. Every major multinational corporation was to have relocated elsewhere, the banks were going to move to Frankfurt, the rest of the world was going to shun us, no one would trade with us, the union would disintegrate and the economy was going to implode.
Short term financial instability was entirely expected, so frankly this is both in line with general Leave predictions and still much better than what Remainers said would happen. If the economy stagnates or declines over the next five-ten years then you'd have an argument.

Too early to tell for sure but PMI and other survey indicators are suggesting the biggest contraction since 2008 financial crash. I think BoE are going to be able to prevent anything too major but we will see.
We're a working nation with good jobs and good business. Yes we have our problems but we're not going under. One of the biggest economies in the world is not going to be downed by leaving the EU. All those claims straight after Brexit that "a generation's future was lost" and "we're heading towards a financial catastrophe" ... It's just an overreaction. Nobody knows what's going to happen so I can't "guarantee"anything, but I'll give you one that you can quote me on:

In ten---fifteen years, most people will be grateful for the Brexit vote.

And if not, whoops my bad ^^

You fail to understand it from a business perspective.
You cnat give any guarantees.
Plenty of businesses are just deciding to wait and see, so many investment decisions are put on hold till they get more information. It would be reckless and stupid to invest beforehand until certain things are know about the future.

They are just being prudent and protecting their businesses against potential risks. Its precisely because the future is uncertain that they will delay. Some businesses need to be in the EU, so it makes sense before opening here, that if we arent in the single market, then they open branches in a country within the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending