The Student Room Group

Remarks are too expensive and poorer students are disadvantaged

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lahorizon
I don't think it is any of your business why my parents had a second child and my local area does not have many schools and this is the closest. Silly 11 year old me forgot to ask my school's remark policy when applying, dammit. -_-

Did you get that £15 a week? If you're on free school meal, you must have... you could have saved up from that for cases like this
You could've gone to a different school for your A levels as many students do so in this country.
Reply 41
Original post by 999tigger

Perhaps the senior examiner gets paid £5 or £10 more?

Go and complain to edexcel. I dont see you as being significantly disadvantaged. i never dreamed of insisting on remarks. I think its cheap.

This was simply a thread to discuss the issues. I can complain to Edexcel but I doubt that anything will change, and if it does then it is too late anyway. You don't know me so how can you assess whether I am disadvantaged or not?
Reply 42
Original post by lawlieto
Did you get that £15 a week? If you're on free school meal, you must have... you could have saved up from that for cases like this
You could've gone to a different school for your A levels as many students do so in this country.

Once again when I was 16 I didn't think to ask my school about their remark policy? I'll make a note to tell my brother though, thanks for reminding me!

The £15 goes to my parents for other living costs such as rent and food. My local area has only the school that I am now, not everyone lives in London or a major town.
This was simply a thread to discuss the issues. I can complain to Edexcel but I doubt that anything will change, and if it does then it is too late anyway. You don't know me so how can you assess whether I am disadvantaged or not?

You can contact Edexcel and they can supply you with an explanation of how they come up with the £ figure they do. You seem to think its utterly unreasonable.

Because as I pointed out its not a system to be used for a second bite at the cherry. Its for exceptional circumstances. You dont even have your results yet, but are complaining how unfair it is. You might get the grades you need or you just wnat to appeal anyway.

If your exam results arent what you expected and you believe soemthing is wrong, then ask your teacher and maybe they can make an appeal to the school to fund you. You make it sound like you intend to or would appeal anyway if the mark isnt what you like.
(edited 7 years ago)
Once again when I was 16 I didn't think to ask my school about their remark policy? I'll make a note to tell my brother though, thanks for reminding me!

The £15 goes to my parents for other living costs such as rent and food. My local area has only the school that I am now, not everyone lives in London or a major town.

it's not about the remark policy, you said you had to teach yourself many things because of your bad teachers, based on your GCSes you could've known they can't teach, but again, if there are no better schools in the vicinity I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

It still seems to me that you're making a big fuss. There are far worse things in the world, even in education: because you're not rich, you couldn't have private tutors, you couldn't go to a very good selective school (boarding school maybe where the tuition fee is like £20k etc) these things are a lot worse than not being able to pay for remark... and if you're important enough for your parents, they're gonna give you that £40 because they value your education ?!
Original post by pizzanomics
3 remarks? Just resit the year.

I had 4 remarks for GCSE and all 4 grades went up lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
I had 4 remarks for GCSE and all 4 grades went up lol

At GCSE you do 10+ subjects. At A level you do 3, so must have seriously cocked up to think that you'd be better off getting a remark in every subject.
Original post by pizzanomics
At GCSE you do 10+ subjects. At A level you do 3, so must have seriously cocked up to think that you'd be better off getting a remark in every subject.

Not necessarily. You only get a remark if you barely miss the grade. And let's not forget, these are REMARKS. Not free marks for the sake of bants. It's not their fault that their paper was initially marked unaccurately. If their grades go up, they fully deserved that new grade and didn't cock up at all.
How about knuckle down and get a good grade in the first place.
With results day coming up, I am worried that once again I cannot ask for a remark due to exam boards such as Edexcel charging £38.60 for a remark and £10.30 for a clerical check.

For GCSE and AS levels I have been unable to get a remark, despite being close to a boundary and knowing I had done better. I know you get the money back if the mark changes but it is still a risk, and I personally find it very hard to ask my parents who do not earn very much at all, for almost £40 and not being able to assure them that they will have it back.

And since for A2 my university place depends on my results, I'd have to pay £48 to get my results back quicker.

I just find it ridiculous that it should cost so much and for some exams the remark itself is more expensive than the original entry itself.

My school makes it extremely difficult to have them pay for a remark and it highly depends on whether the teachers even like you and even then they would probably allow only one remark.

Has anyone else ever had this issue?

Remarks are free?

Or at least at my school a comprehensive with a select and non select stream.
The thing is, if it was free, pretty much everyone would get a remark because why not? Unless you get an A* you might as well give it a go. But the exam boards make so many mistakes now that I think they need to look at the process again. It's not fair for someone to have to pay upfront, even if they get a refund and a mark up, for an exam marker's mistake*
I don't understand this remark fee in my comprehensive school (normal free to use secondary school)

If you were within 5% of the grade with any exam board you got an instant remark

At 16 you do GCSEs and can get remarks then, not unreasonable to think you might have or should've thought about it.
Not necessarily. You only get a remark if you barely miss the grade. And let's not forget, these are REMARKS. Not free marks for the sake of bants. It's not their fault that their paper was initially marked unaccurately. If their grades go up, they fully deserved that new grade and didn't cock up at all.

The rules have now changed due to abuse and people using it as a second chance. Extra marks will only be awarded if there is a clear error rather than a difference in interpretation. Your sort of appeal would fail and rightly so.
Original post by infairverona
The thing is, if it was free, pretty much everyone would get a remark because why not? Unless you get an A* you might as well give it a go. But the exam boards make so many mistakes now that I think they need to look at the process again. It's not fair for someone to have to pay upfront, even if they get a refund and a mark up, for an exam marker's mistake*

Have you got some stats on how many mistakes they make v how many exam papers?

The rule change will eliminate most of your so called mistakes and only change things if there are genuine errors.
Original post by lawlieto

Why do you get £15 a week?
Have you got some stats on how many mistakes they make v how many exam papers?

The rule change will eliminate most of your so called mistakes and only change things if there are genuine errors.

I don't have any stats but it's irrelevant for me - if even one person loses a uni place because of a marking error, that's one mistake too many. I actually agree with a lot of stuff you've said above, remarks shouldn't be just because you don't like the grade but it's also very hard to tell isn't it? Like, a straight A student who randomly gets a C - on the surface might seem like a mistake so send it for a remark? But could actually just have been a bad paper. How can you tell what is or isn't an exceptional case? I think it's very difficult and I really disagree with people just remarking or complaining because they didn't get the grade they want but I know so many people who have had D or C grades go up to As or Bs something with the marking system seems wrong. Even if it's a difference in interpretation how can a paper be an A to one person and a C to another, maybe the markers need better training or expertise in the exam papers and if the exam boards have to pay more for that to avoid potentially costing an A level student their future then so be it*
Your sort of appeal would fail and rightly so.

Please explain why the appeal would fail?

I don't know how you're setting conditions for my own analogy. Besides, there's no "interpreting" answers in a maths, physics or biology paper. I'm either correct or i wrote down rubbish. If marks are counted wrong or haven't been credited where due, they'll be rectified.

There's no "sort of appeal" here. It's simply a case of being 1 mark off and asking for a remark to see whether or not your marks are accurate.

Besides, an error is what mark edits should be given for in the first place. I haven't seen anyone here claim otherwise. You invented a narrative to argue against lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Please explain why the appeal would fail?

I don't know how you're setting conditions for my own analogy. Besides, there's no "interpreting" answers in a maths, physics or biology paper. I'm either correct or i wrote down rubbish. If marks are counted wrong or haven't been credited where due, they'll be rectified.

There's no "sort of appeal" here. It's simply a case of being 1 mark off and asking for a remark to see whether or not your marks are accurate.

Besides, an error is what mark edits should be given for in the first place. I haven't seen anyone here claim otherwise. You invented a narrative to argue against lol

An error on something technical is fine. Agree there is no room for interpretation and they will still succeed. Where the difference is just one of interpretation on how many marks to award, then someone will not be awarded the more generous mark, unless there was a clear error. That would include all the subjects with essays in them. Thats where the vast majority of previous remarks have been. Someone has appealed and someone thought it was worth an A- instead of a B+.
Original post by infairverona
I don't have any stats but it's irrelevant for me - if even one person loses a uni place because of a marking error, that's one mistake too many. I actually agree with a lot of stuff you've said above, remarks shouldn't be just because you don't like the grade but it's also very hard to tell isn't it? Like, a straight A student who randomly gets a C - on the surface might seem like a mistake so send it for a remark? But could actually just have been a bad paper. How can you tell what is or isn't an exceptional case? I think it's very difficult and I really disagree with people just remarking or complaining because they didn't get the grade they want but I know so many people who have had D or C grades go up to As or Bs something with the marking system seems wrong. Even if it's a difference in interpretation how can a paper be an A to one person and a C to another, maybe the markers need better training or expertise in the exam papers and if the exam boards have to pay more for that to avoid potentially costing an A level student their future then so be it*

Dont really go with the one is too many argument. there are millions of papers if the error rate is down ro one ib evert 10,000 papers cant see anything wrong in that.

Nobody is stopping you appealing. the rule changes were brought about becayse of near 20% year on year rises in appeals. Not becayse they were getting worse, but people were using it as a second stab to try and get extra marks rather than the emergency something seriously wrong route it should have been in exceptional cases.

Think its quite easy for them to put an experienced marker on the case and who will remark, but only change the actual mark where they think its a clear error. They will have their boundaries, but expect it to me more than just a grade or 10%. the exam system works perfectly well for millions of syudents over many years. Abusing the appeals process by automatically going for it is one of the reasons they needed to change.

Quick Reply

Latest