The Student Room Group

Worried that my brother smokes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IzzyH71
Yeah, I agree. I've tried but he doesn't really listen to me.

Get your parents involved and find out the reason for him smoking. Like why does he do it. I think it's stress or sexual maybe. As in he might have had a break up or something. Or something else like weird. I don't know could be anything. I guess he's somewhat addicted. Or he has weird friends. So this could happen due to peer pressure I guess. Or due to the fact of A-Levels exams (results day)
might be worth telling your parents (especially if he's using money they gave him) but really there's not a lot you can do about it, it's his choice and his mistake to make
Reply 22
Your brother is most likely being influenced by his peers and the people he associates with. In this case, what you've got to do is try to dig into the centre of it. Try/ help him find hobbies or activities that will enable him to get away from his peer group.
If it's a choice, then it is wise you be upfront to him. Tell him you already know. Tell him as others here have mentioned- the health implications of smoking. Tell him you want him to quit! Make him want to quit!!

All in the process of doing- you have to be supportive!! You have to be friends with your brother! It can work for the benefit of you both, as it'll be a struggle you two would have fought together.
considering one of my friends started smoking when he was 6
and he's 16 by law he can do as he wishes
sincerely the occasional smoker of luxury products
You should talk to him.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Telling his parents he smokes is a dick move.

She must tell them, and hopefully they will force him to stop. In the early days it just seems like a bit of fun, but the longer you do it, the harder it gets to quit!
None of your business.

Original post by JNDSAN
tbh it is none of your business unless hes like 12.

How the **** is it not his business? If your sibling is killing themselves it's obviously your business.
Original post by S1939
Your brother is most likely being influenced by his peers and the people he associates with. In this case, what you've got to do is try to dig into the centre of it. Try/ help him find hobbies or activities that will enable him to get away from his peer group.
If it's a choice, then it is wise you be upfront to him. Tell him you already know. Tell him as others here have mentioned- the health implications of smoking. Tell him you want him to quit! Make him want to quit!!

All in the process of doing- you have to be supportive!! You have to be friends with your brother! It can work for the benefit of you both, as it'll be a struggle you two would have fought together.

This is exactly why I said telling his parents is a dick move. Though telling him about the health implications is utterly pointless - there are pictures of diseased lungs and warnings all over cigarette boxes when you buy them. It's not going to be breaking news.
Original post by john2054
She must tell them, and hopefully they will force him to stop. In the early days it just seems like a bit of fun, but the longer you do it, the harder it gets to quit!

You cannot force somebody to stop smoking. You are talking to somebody whose dad has an incurable lung disease caused by smoking. If his brother is going to stop he will do it in his own time because he wants to.
This is exactly why I said telling his parents is a dick move. Though telling him about the health implications is utterly pointless - there are pictures of diseased lungs and warnings all over cigarette boxes when you buy them. It's not going to be breaking news.

You cannot force somebody to stop smoking. You are talking to somebody whose dad has an incurable lung disease caused by smoking. If his brother is going to stop he will do it in his own time because he wants to.

I used to smoke, and i have given up on more than one occasion, actually at his age a young boy can be forced to stop smoking! Even an adult can be forced to stop in fact, but the longer they smoke, the harder it is to give up!?
I used to smoke, and i have given up on more than one occasion, actually at his age a young boy can be forced to stop smoking! Even an adult can be forced to stop in fact, but the longer they smoke, the harder it is to give up!?

How do you force someone to stop smoking?
Reply 30
Original post by Virgil.
OP please do not listen to this.

The health of those you love and care about is entirely your business.

ifr you want to stop your brother smoking just google image search "effects of smoking disease" and go through each pic with him one by one. Tell him that will be him if he keeps on smoking - ask him does he think looking cool in front of his friends is worth lung cancer and not being able to breathe? etc.....recommend you show him videos as well so its even more real

it's a drastic measure, but unless he chooses to stop himself, you have to instill the fear of what smoking will do to him in his mind, otherwise he wont stop

I assume personal privacy and liberty are foreign concepts to you?
Reply 31

Sorry to know about the lung disease that your dad has, but sometimes things like this are best fought head on, rather than being complacent about it.

There are different strategies to give up, but probably the worst is to give the control back to the smoker, and say 'he will do it when he is ready!' Probably the best is to go cold turkey, but only ex smokers can understand this. And you have to be strict about never having another cig, at least until he grows to understand that himself!
Reply 33

A dog collar that gives out small electric shocks...

Take their cigs away from them, and make sure they don't get any more (such as by stopping money). Also you could try grounding, or at least until it is sorted out. Best to nip it in the bud. Maybe go to see a stop smoking advisor with him. True you have to have will power, but also a helping hand, especially at his age, is not only needed, but critical!
Original post by Virgil.
OP please do not listen to this.

The health of those you love and care about is entirely your business.

ifr you want to stop your brother smoking just google image search "effects of smoking disease" and go through each pic with him one by one. Tell him that will be him if he keeps on smoking - ask him does he think looking cool in front of his friends is worth lung cancer and not being able to breathe? etc.....recommend you show him videos as well so its even more real

it's a drastic measure, but unless he chooses to stop himself, you have to instill the fear of what smoking will do to him in his mind, otherwise he wont stop

I smoke and people did this and made me smoke more and more, nothing will make him stop unless he wants too.
Reply 36
Original post by S1939
Mate. The OP's problem isn't that complicated. Why are you bringing Human Rights into this?

I wasn't commenting to the OP.
There are different strategies to give up, but probably the worst is to give the control back to the smoker, and say 'he will do it when he is ready!' Probably the best is to go cold turkey, but only ex smokers can understand this. And you have to be strict about never having another cig, at least until he grows to understand that himself!

Cold turkey is obviously the best way to quit as you are dealing with the nicotine addiction instead of using a form of NRT. But the decision to quit comes from the smoker and nobody else.

Original post by Napp
A dog collar that gives out small electric shocks...

:rolleyes:

Take their cigs away from them

They can buy more.

and make sure they don't get any more (such as by stopping money).

He's 16, he will find ways to get money if he wants to smoke. He is going to need money of some sort at some point.

Also you could try grounding, or at least until it is sorted out.

You have to let them back outside eventually.

Best to nip it in the bud. Maybe go to see a stop smoking advisor with him. True you have to have will power, but also a helping hand, especially at his age, is not only needed, but critical!

He likely won't see it as a helping hand, it will be an interfering relative sticking their nose in. If he doesn't want to stop smoking, he isn't going to stop.
Take their cigs away from them, and make sure they don't get any more (such as by stopping money). Also you could try grounding, or at least until it is sorted out. Best to nip it in the bud. Maybe go to see a stop smoking advisor with him. True you have to have will power, but also a helping hand, especially at his age, is not only needed, but critical!

His friends will buy it, don't underestimate a smokers way to get cigarettes especially when their addicted.
I have smoked for about ten years before i gave up (twice). I did so by reading Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking both times, and by eating Nicorrettes and then normal chewing gum the first time, and then by champix and some gum the second time. Understood it is a difficult matter. I also have a critical breathing condition, which was made worse by my smoking. But I have been stopped for five years now, and it is getting a bit better. My energy level is also coming back, although my sleeping is still bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending