The Student Room Group

Would you eat dog meat?

or cat.
I could be persuaded to eat cat or dog if it were recommended as being very tasty,

But it seems to me that it's low quality meat that people eat when desperate, so probably not my first choice.

It would be nice to see dogs on the dinner table rather than in the street though. That's for sure
Reply 3
Original post by saraxh

You should. It tastes good.
Original post by saraxh

i agree with u, i would definitely not
Original post by helped
You should. It tastes good.

This kind of thread would go into racial stereotyping quickly, but I think the entire thing against eating dog/cat is purely cultural and has no meaningful or rational basis. If we're approaching from a sentience perspective, or a spiritual/soul perspective, farm animals like pigs are just as intelligent/curious/sentient/soul-ed.

I suppose the cultural norm has developed because of man's relationship with dog as both a working animal, and a family/companion animal, so it's more difficult to psychologically disassociate from the idea of eating family. If you grew up in a country where famine and hunger is strife, but feral/stray animals are everywhere, your perspectives on morality would not be as "developed" as your wealthier counterparts.
Reply 7
Original post by Rather_Cynical
This kind of thread would go into racial stereotyping quickly, but I think the entire thing against eating dog/cat is purely cultural and has no meaningful or rational basis. If we're approaching from a sentience perspective, or a spiritual/soul perspective, farm animals like pigs are just as intelligent/curious/sentient/soul-ed.

I suppose the cultural norm has developed because of man's relationship with dog as both a working animal, and a family/companion animal, so it's more difficult to psychologically disassociate from the idea of eating family. If you grew up in a country where famine and hunger is strife, but feral/stray animals are everywhere, your perspectives on morality would not be as "developed" as your wealthier counterparts.

Anyone that complains about others eating dog meat while they eat other animals themselves are massive hypocrites.
Original post by helped
Anyone that complains about others eating dog meat while they eat other animals themselves are massive hypocrites.

True.
Why would you eat dog meat? HE'S ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIONS IN THE ENTIRE FALLOUT UNIVERSE!
Reply 10
Original post by RDKGames
Why would you eat dog meat? HE'S ONE OF THE BEST COMPANIONS IN THE ENTIRE FALLOUT UNIVERSE!

Because it tastes good and gives lots of protein. Why would you eat a cow? In india they are seen as great companions.
Original post by helped
Because it tastes good and gives lots of protein. Why would you eat a cow? In india they are seen as great companions.

I think the purpose of my comment went entirely over your head...
Reply 12
Original post by RDKGames
I think the purpose of my comment went entirely over your head...

Were you intentionally trying to be a hypocrite?
It's deffo a cultural thing. Like was said earlier, cows would be seen as a ridiculous thing to eat in some Asian cultures, but it's totally normal for us. The thing with the horse meat scandal wasn't the fact that it was horse, it was that it was missold as other meats and it was injected with dangerous substances to us that keep horses healthy. I probably would eat any animal, so long as I didn't know about it before hand. I ate the IKEA meatballs so often and when I found out it was really horse, I wasn't bothered because it still tasted good!
Original post by helped
Were you intentionally trying to be a hypocrite?

...no. Just ignore it, bro :smile:
Original post by helped
or cat.

would you eat a big mac or a fried chicken?
Sure why not.
I would not go actively hunting it but if I was somewhere that offered it I would try.

I have to try all strange foods. Kangaroo/bison/buffalo/Ostrich
I wouldn't eat dog meat produced in this country because it'll mean somebody's probably killed some poor guy's pet, whereas if you're in Vietnam or somewhere and it was gonna get killed for food anyway you may as well give it a go.
Reply 18
No.

Quick Reply

Latest